Weeks

Hardy

Fielder

Braun

Hart

Cameron

Hall

Kendall

If Cameron is in the 2 hole, he will be prevented from stealing bases by batting in front of Fielder the same way Braun was for the majority of last year. Hardy is a good contact hitter, works the count, and can catch up to any fastball. His walk total could improve, but I think he is a solid 2 hitter.

I'm not being snarky, but the concern over SB is not one to get worried about imo. I think SB were a nice thing to talk about at the Cameron PC, since it's something he does well... and then again in the chat, since fans tend to love SBs. If we're talking about Rickie (who steals bases at a ridiculous success rate) perhaps increasing his # of attempts, then I think you have a high enough number to see a real season-long impact.

For Braun, if he's stealing more than 20 SB, I think the outs he'll make on the basepaths (ahead of Prince & Corey) will be extremely detrimental compared to whatever impact his successes will/would have. I'm just fine with the Brewers 'not running' like they did last year, when we were 9th in the NL is SB. The problem last year was our success rate being below 70% imo. If Corey becomes more efficient (I think he will/can), let him go, but I worry that we'll just run into more outs. The teams that really steal a lot of bases (Phi, NYM, etc.) have crazy-good success rates.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I'm sure the whole value of the SB topic has been beat to death, but I tend to look at it from the Dick Allen point of view. Being a threat to steal, even if you don't attempt to steal a base, makes the other team change the way they defend and the way that the pitcher throws the ball. I'm not sure if those things can be accurately measured. But I know that if I'm up at the plate, I feel better about my changes of punching one through the infield if the first baseman or second baseman is holding a runner on.

One of Dick Allen's quotes:

"Baserunning is an art and a skill. If I'm on second, one ball on the batter, I'm going to try and get a big lead to distract the pitcher. My job is to help get ball two. Now the pitcher's got to throw a strike. Batter knows that. I know that. He's in a position to get good wood on the ball. He gets a single, I score. That's good baserunning."

I posted this in another thread, but am reposting here since it seems to fit here better.

For the last week while discussing Parra so much and why I think he will be in AAA, I have started to have a sneaking suspicion that Villy ends up back in the pen. One of the reasons that I kept presenting was that DM and Yost prefer experienced arms over young talent. I point to putting Vargas in the rotation over Villy last year. Thinking about it more I suspect that there is a chance that Bush would end up in the rotation over Villy. The chat with Yost, MA and DM today has done nothing but reinforce that suspicion. I do think that whoever we put out there to start will pitch more innings which I think will have a bigger impact on our bulpen than the change in relief pitchers. Also, having our better relievers in a more flexible role in the pen instead of locked into a closer role should make a big impact.

Also, Villy had only 122 last year, but we don't know exactly how much he pitched in the pen and what effect that had on his arm.

Hall not trying to steal bases would help alot.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

But he threw 182 innings in 2006, so I don't think the 40 innings is as big of a concern for Villaneuva.
I started a thread about this during the past season. I was concerned that Villanueva wasn't going to throw enough innings to be a starter in 2008. The overwhelming majority mentioned that since he had pitched 182 in 2006 - his pitch total in other years doesn't matter all that much.

The biggest thing is that he was able to get to that total incrementally. Once there, you have some flexibility in terms of jumping up and down in terms of innings pitched.

In 2003 Capuano pitched 175.2 innings. In 2004 he pitched 100.5 innings. In 2005 he pitched 219.0 innings.

For the last week while discussing Parra so much and why I think he will be in AAA, I have started to have a sneaking suspicion that Villy ends up back in the pen.
I am just going to put this comment in here in response to all of the Manny Parra talk. Jim Callis today answered a chat question on ESPN.com about Parra, where Callis said his ceiling was a #3 starter in MLB.

I point that out, because we all do have a tendency to overvalue our own prospects.

Archived