Brewer Fanatic

New Power 50, 8/23

And That
  • Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The first thing I noticed about the last Power 50 was that it seemed very top heavy with pitching. I like that. The first wave was mainly position players and lord knows we need pitching help. Hopefully help is on the way. The sooner the better.

I disagree. The Brewers biggest problem right now is that the pitching is at a more advanced level than the hitting. If the hitting doesn't catch up, Capuano could be gone before the Brewers offense becomes respectable.

I don't agree with this sentiment. The batters are in the bigs, and have at least three years of Capuano to improve as hitters. Weeks-Fielder-Hall-Hart should be a very good middle of the order for the next three-five years. Add in Braun, then guys like Gabe Gross and a veteran catcher. I think the pitching has to keep pace with the hitting, though it seems they are pretty close to being on pace.

• 2 weeks later...
Totally agree that the hitting has advanced much more than the pitching. None of the farm pitchers have come onto the scene and stolen the show since Big Ben. Conversely, I think we've seen five homegrown hitters (Hart, Hardy, Hall, Prince, Rickie) all come up and prove they are legitimate building blocks, with Braun knocking on the door. Yo, Inman and Rogers are all valid prospects, but until they do it at the ML level, they're not considered success stories in my book, though they do make me smile.

As "And That" prepares his power 50, I'll throw a little curve out there. Here's my top ten:

1. Inman

On the strength of vastly superior numbers as a 19 year old in WV

2. Gallardo

on the strength of a fabulous season in A+ and AA

3. Braun

The guy is a great bat who is young enough at 3b to be able to become a decent fielder

4. Eveland

Little left to prove but in the big leagues

5. Gillespie

Many will wish they had picked him sooner.

6. Jeffres

He throws hard

7. RodgerSo does he, but has had more time (without huge success) harnessing it.

8. Jackson

Wierd delivery, could find a nieche

9. Parra

I'd like to see him in the pen, but if he gets healthy, he could be good for years

10. Fermaint

Too good an athlete not to be here.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Is it too soon to @#%$ about Toby promising a "Power 50," and then putting it off until what seems to be moths later? If so, then I am graciously waiting for the next "Power 50." If not, then Toby, what's the hold up? They aren't even playin anymore. How hard can it be?

actually, moreso than the Power 50, I'd love Toby's depth chart for the organization. The new Cuban SS would be the AA SS I assume. Perhaps Jones or Narron to the AAA rotation now with Eveland gone. Gwynn likely in AAA. Braun in AAA. Drew Anderson in AAA. Inman in AA or A+? I would think he'll skip like Jones and Eveland did. And Gallardo in AA or AAA? Dillard a starter or in the pen?

Lithium, DHonks, and Howard Johnson is right. I'd guess that the next Power 50 would logically be out after the winter meetings. However, an organizational depth chart is all I want for Christmas. I spend lots of time on my own making depth charts, failing to realize that it's a waste of time because I haven't seen these guys play on a regular basis or at all actually. That's why I rely on people that are closer to the action, like Toby to tell it from their educated point of view, man crushes and all.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Quote:
Lithium, DHonks, and Howard Johnson is right.

Teriffic Blazing Saddles reference!

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Archived