Brewer Fanatic

New Power 50, 8/23

And That
  • Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the Brewers are doing well in the middle infield...if i was gonna pick one thing to focus on in the next draft or two, would be power guys...we've got a bunch of decent average ok power guys, but only a handful who could possibly hit 30 homers at any level...and none who will do it this year...i'd like to see the brewers try for some sluggers..

nonetheless, this is a wellrounded farm system, and i love the fact that the brewers just take the best played available everytime

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Quote:
i love the fact that the brewers just take the best played available everytime

Agreed. It's darn near impossible to predict where guys will end up defensively - especially 2B, SS, and 3B (and maybe even catcher).

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

While Prince Fielder seems to have first base locked down for the next 4-6 years, first base is a position of weakness in the minors. While you don't go too far out of your way to draft a first baseman early, unless you're talking about a special bat like Fielder's.

Catcher is a huge weakness in the system, however, it has been for a while and the Brewers haven't exactly made it a point to address that need in the draft, at least not in the first round.

Isn't catcher a weakness throughout baseball, not just with the Brewers? And while I would never advocate drafting "out of position" - I'm a Packer fan and saw Sherman do too much of that - it does seem that, despite the guys Toby listed, there is more "room" in the system for infielders and catchers to advance quickly?

I like the way the system has improved over the last few years, for sure. As others have pointed out, it sure seems like the power 50 invovles a "reload" and not a "rebuild." And I do think, as a relative novice, that we've never had the pitching depth that we seem to.

an infielder might adbvance quickly to AA or AAA, but they wont be cracking the 25 man for the next 5 years unless they are future supestars...that's why no one too concerned...i think hernan/alcides

and mike bell/ryan crew are pretty good prospects...add in corner guys like Mat Gamel and maybe's like holmberg, and i think the brewers are pretty stacked in the A ball range..

You're right, catching is a weakness almost everywhere. The teams that have talented catching rarely let it go.

Next year's draft could be a banner year for catchers, with two college backstops (Matt Wieters & JP Arencibia) possibly going in the top 10 overall.

pogo, with all due respect, until Hardy proves that this injury was a fluke and not part of a tendency, and given that some have concerns about Hall's D as a SS and his signing status, I find it hard to believe that there isn't a lot more room for SS candidates? Don't get me wrong - I want Hall to be a Brewer for a long time, but I'm not sure where.

Damn, this is fun - I gotta post here more often!http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

It's actually kind of strange that any team is weak in first basemen - it being the easiest to switch to, most teams have at least a guy or two who have failed at other positions but can hit alright. The Brewers, on the other hand have a somewhat-failed farmboy (Nelson) and a few guys who are many years away (Alonso, Errecart and Palencia). Katin and Anderson could be first basemen, but they need to play outfield just to maintain some good value.

I would say the biggest weakness in the system is with first basemen, but the biggest weakness relative to the big league team is definately at catcher.

And I tend to rate 2Bmen lower than other guys because they aren't nearly as valuable defensively. If Iribarren could play short, he'd be in the top 5 and Holmberg would be in the top 20.

If you're going off MLB need, the Brewers probably would have drafted a catcher in the first round the past 5-10 years. Pitching (starters & relievers) probably dominates the next few spots, as 1B is a distant discussion at the big-league level based on need given the presence of Fielder.

The only time the Brewers drafted for absolute need in the 1st round under Jack Z. was when they took Braun last year with the 5th overall pick, when they seemed quite intent on taking a 3B no matter who it was (reports have it that they also asked Troy Tulowitzki if he was willing to covert to the hot corner). Third base was a gaping hole in the organization before that point in time, and with the acquisition of Koskie, the emergence of Mat Gamel and the overall relative logjam in the IF at the big league level, 3B is now a relative strength.

Well, if the Brewers needed a 1b due to an extended absence by Prince (knocking on an antique oak table as I type that), Corey Hart could do it. Koskie could do it. Mench could presumably do it. In the minors, they've got a few guys like Gamel who could slide that way as they move up. The Brewers don't draft a 1b unless he's a franchise hitter, IMO.

The 3B situation illustrates how quickly things change in a system...between Hall, Koskie/Cirillo, and Braun, they have present, past, and future 3b studs.

The Brewers have needed a catcher for a while, and there have been some nice ones drafted the last few years, whom I thought they might target (Salty, McCann, etc), but they have always gone in other directions. That to me is the best evidence of all that they go with BPA. Braun I guess is the exception...I am sure they looked at that draft class with college kids Gordon, Zimmerman, Braun, and said, you know, we're never going to have a chance like this again to solve 3b.

Edit: I guess colby posted as I was typing. He's right of course, as usual.

The Brewers have needed a catcher for a while, and there have been some nice ones drafted the last few years, whom I thought they might target (Salty, McCann, etc), but they have always gone in other directions.

I just want to point out that the Brewers had a pre-draft deal with Jarrod Saltalamacchia had the Braves not taken him with the second to last pick in the sandwich round in 2003. Three picks away, the Brewers selected Tony Gwynn Jr. (and further word has it there was a fairly large debate in the Brewers war room between Gwynn & Ryan Sweeney, who has found his power stroke at AAA in the White Sox organization).

I agree with SoCal, you don't draft a 1B early unless he's a franchise hitter, which is why they took Fielder of course.

• 1 month later...
Not meaning to toot my own horn here, but this list seems eerily familiar to the list I posted almost a year ago entitled "Top Ten Prospects One Year From Today" except for the fact that I had Inman #2 and vastly overestimated Escobar. Hey, who didn't overestimate Escobar after the AFL year he had?

Quote:
Not meaning to toot my own horn here, but this list seems eerily familiar to the list I posted almost a year ago entitled "Top Ten Prospects One Year From Today

I think everyone here could have gotten the current top 10 minus gillespie and jeffress 80% right a year ago...

Archived