Brewer Fanatic

How good is LaPorta? Latest -- Will see action in both corners in 2008

Robideaux

Greg, that's a fair point, and I think comparing LaPorta to Incaviglia and even Pat Burrell, who to me he more closely profiles, is a lot of fun to think about given the amount of success all three had during their college careers at Florida, Oklahoma St. and Miami respectively.

The main difference between Burrell and Incaviglia is that Burrell walks a lot and Incaviglia didn't (a little less than 1 BB per 10 AB). You can see it in their career splits:

Burrell: .258/.367/.482

Incaviglia: .246/.310/.448

Incaviglia hit a little better earlier in his career, but then turned into a platoon player. I don't remember the specifics, but I do know teams had less tolerance for all or nothing sluggers back in the day, and I do remember some injuries during his career.

The difference in overall numbers may not be as great when you consider the different eras they played in.

I mentioned before that I envisioned LaPorta as a hitter that may only hit in the .260-.280 range with an OBP a good 100 points higher and a slugging percentage around or above .500. That would actually make him better than Burrell, but if the Brewers end up with Burrell's production that wouldn't be bad at all.

Of course LaPorta would have to make his debut and make somewhat of an immediate impact this coming year to follow the same career path as the other two sluggers, so your point of age definitely has some merit.

Obviously it's tough to predict, as every prospect has their warts. I'm just excited that more than half of the guy's hits have been for extra bases so far. That alone is exciting. Too bad the team can't blend Gamel with LaPorta to create a super-slugger, although the Brewers already have that player in Prince Fielder.

I think what is most interesting is how Braun's knees are so drastically turned into themselves, which is something that wouldn't be taught by any hitting instructor but clearly is works for Ryan. For some reason I can't think of the batter that hit (currently hits?) like this. I think Cal Ripken tried a similar stance in one of his million tweaks. I want to say Andre Dawson, but I don't think that is right.

Remember when Greg Vaughn had a stance where his toes were practically facing each other? It was way worse then Braun, plus his legs were basically touching from waist to knee, then they cocked out.

I think what is most interesting is how Braun's knees are so drastically turned into themselves, which is something that wouldn't be taught by any hitting instructor but clearly is works for Ryan. For some reason I can't think of the batter that hit (currently hits?) like this. I think Cal Ripken tried a similar stance in one of his million tweaks. I want to say Andre Dawson, but I don't think that is right.

Remember when Greg Vaughn had a stance where his toes were practically facing each other? It was way worse then Braun, plus his legs were basically touching from waist to knee, then they cocked out.

When i first saw that photo i thought of Moises Alou who has an even more drastic knock-kneed approach

I think what is most interesting is how Braun's knees are so drastically turned into themselves, which is something that wouldn't be taught by any hitting instructor but clearly is works for Ryan.

Yea! First thing I noticed too! I feel knowledgeable.

Colby, I am a hitting instructor, so I can give a bit of insight with regards to the hitting stance. The knees "knocked" is a basic starting point for teaching hitting. (it's the same in golf if I recall my beginner lessons correctly). It has to do with balance and the ability to concentrate your core strength to the hips, and thus generate power with hip turn. Each player will evolve their own hitting from that starting point. Some exagerate the knees knocked, others stray away a bit to more upright or open.

Look up Dusty Baker's book on hitting on the internet. It's the best book I ever read on the subject, because it's written to the hitting instructor, not the student. He does a great job explaining why each step is taught. He also gives many different ways to teach each step, as each student will not only have a different skill set, but each student will learn differently(some are verbal some are visual etc).

After seeing him at the Winter Warm-up, I think Mat Gamel ends up as our first baseman of the future.

He has experience in the infield. Supposedly he is a decent fielder - just poor at throwing. He is also much taller than LaPorta. He could really end up as a great first baseman.

I'm not saying you're wrong, I've never seen either of them in person. But, everything I could find online lists Mat at 6'0" and Matt at 6'2"..?

Boy Jeenius, thanks for chiming in. Sorry I missed that before.

southpaw, we talked about the height listing on page 1 in this thread. Height listings can't always be relied upon, and I can guarantee you Gamel easily has a few inches on LaPorta, who clearly has a few inches on Zduriencik. Zduriencik is my height (5'6"), possibly an inch or two taller, leading me to believe LaPorta is actually in the 5'10" to 6' range, while lexi mentioned above that Gamel is indeed 6'2".

southpaw, we talked about the height listing on page 1 in this thread. Height listings can't always be relied upon, and I can guarantee you Gamel easily has a few inches on LaPorta, who clearly has a few inches on Zduriencik. Zduriencik is my height (5'6"), possibly an inch or two taller, leading me to believe LaPorta is actually in the 5'10" to 6' range, while lexi mentioned above that Gamel is indeed 6'2".

I don't see anything in this thread about that, maybe it was in another one? Either way, I see your point. I wasn't disagreeing since I've never seen either in person let alone next to each other, just found it odd.

Either way, Matt or Mat should be an upgrade defensively over Prince. I'm guessing both are taller than him and more mobile. Maybe the thinking is with Gamel, since by then LaPorta will be settled into the OF and if you move Gamel at least you are keeping him in the IF. Makes even more sense when you consider the comments by Ash of 3B/C being a general weakness.

Archived