Brewer Fanatic

Internet Providers in Madison

samwise
I am looking for a non-Charter internet provider in Madison. I went to the AT&T website and it seemed like they would not provide service to where I live. I live on West Washington right by the capitol. I had Charter before but had the usual outages and poor customer support. Any suggestions or recommendations would be great.

Verizon Broadband isnt bad. If you are using your service for mostly just reading then it will be fine. The only advantage "high speed cable" has over broadband is with download speed. If you are downloading tons of music or movies then get the highest speed you can. Since all web pages only work at 512k then anything above dial up will load at the same speed.

You should call AT&T. It seems odd that they wouldn't serve a location that's so centrally located. It might be possible that your address simply isn't in their database.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

My guess is that if you're not in the database, AT&T would probably send out a technician (free of charge) to check out the lines.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

I thought it was odd also. I will try them tonight. I am also going to check out Mad City Broadband.

My guess is there is no active phone line at your place as to why they said it wasn't available. At least they told me something similar when I started looking for internet. As for MadCity Broadband... I'll give them an eh. I had trouble with it where I live, and you know where that is samwise, and I could see similar problems for you. Not to mention, I know a couple others who had trouble getting their signal at all downtown. The problems, which would mainly be loss of signal, finally got me to switch to AT&T.

I can't imagine they don't have it.

Yeah, it's gotta be there. The central office (the building where the switching equipment that provides your dial tone and the pair of copper wires that it rides on originates) that serves your residence is on the 100 block of W. Main I believe. You're practically right on top of it.

Archived