Brewer Fanatic

Hall vs. Blalock

yoshii8

If you were a GM and had to pick between Bill Hall and Hank Blalock, using stats, contract, and overall worth, who would you pick and why?

I would pick Bill Hall, because of Blalocks inability to hit lefties, and horrible road statistics. Also because Hall's ability to play multiple positions, and he was a lot better in 05' and 06'. Although, Blalock looked really good when he came back at the end of last season, and is a year younger.

blalock doesn't hit lefties well, hall is pretty mediocre vs. righties. the team is loaded with guys that rake vs. lefties. Blalock would provide more balance. dillon can fill in for blalock against some lefties. the option vs. righties is counsell.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Which Hall are we talking about? The 2006 version or the 2007 version?

Same question for Blalock.

They are two "inconsistent" players in my opinion, but I'll take Hall based on the contract and versatility as well.

Which Hall are we talking about? The 2006 version or the 2007 version?

Same question for Blalock.

They are two "inconsistent" players in my opinion, but I'll take Hall based on the contract and versatility as well.

I think that's the point of this question. If you could guarantee that Hall would be a 35 a year HR hitter, then there really isn't any point in asking the question.

I think though that Blalock has a little more upside, and while Hall's more valuable because he's versatile(something that's come in HUGE this off-season for the Brewers), for some teams, playing one position great would be preferable to playing many positions adequate which is what Hall does, and Blalock is a very good 3rd basemen.

So I'll go with Hall for the financial reasons, but it wouldn't surprise me if my answer was different in a year from now.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Bias aside, Hall. Hall has been up and down, but he has longer term cost certainty, at a nice price, and his versatility helps.

I've never liked Blalock, I know some do, I don't. His home/away splits are awful, so if I'm a GM and my team plays somewhere other than Texas, he's a bench player at best. (.699 OPS away from Texas in over 1,600 career PA). He's also virtually worthless vs LHP.

Hall, on the other hand does have a career .771 OPS vs righties, which is certainly tolerable, and means he doesn't need to be platooned.

In 2007 he spent 107 days on the DL after having a rib removed. He also had shoulder, neck and elbow problems.

In 2006 he underwent shoulder surgery after the season was over, the shoulder bothered him much of the season.

In a perfect healthy world I might consider Blalock on this team because he is a lefty but it isn't a perfect world and I don't really trust his health right now and he probably should be in a platoon at 3B since he has a career .280 OBP and .629 OPS against lefties while in a hitters park.

Give me Bill Hall.

Blalock has never been able to hit lefties. Once he started playing everyday, that fact became more apparent. He also benefits tremendously from playing in Arlington. Home OPS: .897 Away OPS: .699 There's a reasonable chance away from Texas he becomes a sort of Kevin Mench. Or worse.

Perhaps a better question is, Hall vs. Cameron.

Archived