Brewer Fanatic

Mark Kotsay to ATL, Joe Devine to OAK

ELCABALLO45

The A's really just want to dump him, but getting Devine is a nice add-on to saving a couple million dollars next year. He's still got upside. I guess I hope he turns out better than Dan Meyer did (though he did finally start to at least look like a middle of the rotation starter in Sacramento last year).

If Kotsay is healthy and hits well you may get him to be at around .290/10-15HR/10SB type player maybe. But thats a big maybe if he can return healthy after batting .214 in limited time last season.

Braves fans are wondering if the F.O soured on Devine because they know something that maybe the fans don't know.

In 05 Devine was drafted and came up to the majors within months, and clearly was not ready. He pitched a total of about 31 innings in the organization that year, AAA and the majors he got lit up.

In 06 Devine had mixed results in A+, (control issues, lots of BB and lots of K's > BB led to a higher ERA ), then in AA he pitched great, and in the majors was hit again pretty well. That sample size in the majors came in about 6.1IP. He pitched about 30 innings in the minors that year with mixed results as I said. I also wana say he was injured that season but I can't remember.

In 07 he pitched great. Started in AA he pitched brillant. 13.11/K9 ratio. AAA brillant too. Then promoted to the majors with a bit more success this time. He lost his control a little in issuing 8BB in 8IP, but on the same note he was able to hold them on, and he had a K9 ratio of 7.56. So in the majors it seems that he maybe was flustered a little bit, or nervous..

IMO the F.O either soured on him when he pitched those 8 innings this past season, or they soured on him 06, because he pitched great in the minors this season in AA and AAA.

I think he'll fully got a shot to be on the big club for the A's this season and he'll have some hiccups, but I think in 1-2 years this move will make the Braves look bad.

Archived