Brewer Fanatic

Scott Rolen to TOR, Troy Glaus StL

reillymcshane

The Blue Jays have been trying like mad to unload Glaus this season...I've read rumors about him being connected to everyone from the Dodgers to the Yankees (as a 1B). Glaus is a pretty serious injury risk himself and is a pretty bad defender due to chronic foot problems over the past couple years, and he's due $12.75M this year and has a $11.25M player option for '09. Plus there's that whole steroid connection that I'm sure the Blue Jays weren't too keen on. I really do think this was a defense-motivated move for the Blue Jays, since they were one of the worst defensive teams in the AL a year or two ago...now they're slowly becoming one of the best with Overbay, Hill, McDonald, and Rolen behind a pitching staff that loves to induce grounders.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

If I was a Card's fan I'd be going crazy. There's no way for them to contend, and choose to essentially trade Rolen for himself--no improvement, no hope for the future. Take a clue from Oakland--poo or get off the pot. Pathetic no matter what temporary problem it solves.

I'd still add Rolen if we can. Nothing wrong with Hall going back to his "Super Sub" roll. Hell, i would ever trade Hall for Rolen Straight up.

It's really unlikely we can afford it anymore even if we wanted to land Rolen. The acquisitions of Mota, Torres, Kendall, Riske, Cameron, and Gagne have added up. I think it'd be a pretty bad use of resources to pay that much for Rolen now that we just spent $6.2MM to acquire Cameron and fill the 3B hole with Hall. Trading Hall for him would still add $12MM over the next 3 years (when we'll start to pay out some big arbitration raises). I just can't see Mark A opening up his wallet any wider unless there's a player who's criminally underpaid.

Archived