Brewer Fanatic

Wisconsin vs Denver hockey game on 1/11/08

trwi7

Did anybody else watch the absolute screw job placed on the Badgers?? Here's a quick rundown.? Badgers trailing 3-2 with 3.7 seconds left in the game, faceoff in the Denver zone is won by the Badgers, a quick wrist shot is taken by Matthew Ford?and goes past Denver goaltender Peter Mannino with what appears to be at least .5 seconds on live TV.?

On?the?replay I will put up it shows the red light going on with .5 seconds left and two referees clearly pointing at the goal with .3 seconds left indicating that the goal should count.

Now the goal ends up being disallowed to the disbelief of myself and the entire Badgers bench.? A few things are suspicious about this.

1. The game clock is put to the goal light so when the game clock expires the red light for a goal cannot come on.? In this case the light did come on.

2. If the game clock and goal light are set this way like they should be how could you possibly overturn that call when it's clear that the red light comes on and then the green light comes on AND the red light wouldn't have been able to come on if time had expired.

3. If they are not set up why is Denver not following the rules that are in place for this very reason?

4. How could you possibly overturn that call based on the evidence given above?

Something is very fishy about this whole situation.

dang it, I knew I should have kept watching that game no matter how tired I was

That is an unfortunate turn of events, I hope they file a protest at the very least, that goal should have counted

was there any overhead goal cam shots clearly showing the puck crossing the goal line during the telecast?

I don't know how it works in college, but I do know that the red light is virtually meaningless now in the NHL. The goal judge can do whatever he wants but it doesn't determine the outcome. Do they have replays in college? That should have been determinative. The clock on the television is probably not official so that doesn't prove anything either. All controversial goals are reviewed, in think in Torontoin the NHL. Probably the colleges are not as sophisticated.

Out here in the DC area, David Steckel of Milwaukee is having a decent year with the Caps. He centers the 3rd or 4th line and they use him on defensive end face-offs to the goalie's left since he is a lefthanded shot. Doesn't score much but he is used on the penalty killing team quite a bit. He played at tOSU. Sorry for the digression.

Do they have replays in college?

Yeah this was originally ruled a goal and then was taken away. That was the only replay the fans got to see. But again if they set everything up the way it should have been set up then there's no way the red light would've come on if time expired.

An update.

I've now seen the overhead review of the Matthew Ford goal from Friday night's game. There's simply no other way to say it than the officials missed it badly.

When the puck goes into the net, there's at least 0.9 seconds remaining on the clock, which is burned into the camera feed. The puck comes back out of the net a short time later.

There are some questions as to what part of the replay referee Randy Schmidt viewed, but it was obvious that the puck was in the net in time for the goal to count. In fact, even if Schmidt looked only at a still image of the overhead view when the clock reaches 0.0, it would show him pointing at the net to signal a goal, even though the puck is back out of the net.

FSN Rocky Mountain plans to show that overhead replay during tonight's game, which is being shown on Sunday on FSN Wisconsin.

Warmups just started for tonight's game, and Schmidt is again the referee.

WCHA supervisor of officials Greg Shepherd just issued a no-comment when I talked to him on the phone, referring everything to the league's release and to commissioner Bruce McLeod.

Link

Absolutely ridiculous, I'm so pissed. UW really needed at least one point.

The WCHA issued a statement on Sunday saying that the refs had screwed up and that the goal should have counted. Period. There was no more to the statement. No recourse was given. IMHO the OT should have been played before Saturday's game.

I love the that conference admits that their refs screwed up, but basically stopped talking after that and silently gave UW the one finger salute.

On the plus side, we went back in on Saturday and absolutely embarrassed DU. They had only allowed more than 2 goals in 2 other games this season and we had 3 in the first period. Plus, they had to pull their starting keeper, who'd played all but 2:08 this season.

I think I heard this morning that the Badgers have officially filed a protest seeking one point in the standings and basically calling the game a tie.
"His whole life is a fantasy camp. People should plunk down $2000 to live like him for a week. Sleep, do nothing, fall ass-backwards into money, mooch food off your neighbors and have sex without dating... THAT'S a fantasy camp."

I think I heard this morning that the Badgers have officially filed a protest seeking one point in the standings and basically calling the game a tie.

Great. They definitely deserve one. Ruling the game a tie is completely fair and I don't really see how Denver can say boo. With 3 seconds left, the game was almost surely going to be a tie anyway.

Great. They definitely deserve one. Ruling the game a tie is completely fair and I don't really see how Denver can say boo. With 3 seconds left, the game was almost surely going to be a tie anyway.

5 minutes left. The game would have went to overtime, and who knows, Denver could have scored and taken both points. You can't really speculate what would have happened in OT, and it seems silly to me to change the result. If anything, they should have to replay the OT period. Refs make mistakes sometime, and sometimes those mistakes cost your team results. That's just the way it is.

5 minutes left. The game would have went to overtime, and who knows, Denver could have scored and taken both points. You can't really speculate what would have happened in OT, and it seems silly to me to change the result. If anything, they should have to replay the OT period. Refs make mistakes sometime, and sometimes those mistakes cost your team results. That's just the way it is.

Or WI could have scored in overtime and taken both points. The ref made a boneheaded move by not watching the entire recorded scene and making a quick snap judgement based on a quick glance. They need to either split the points and call it a tie which it was at the end of regulation or they should have played a 5 minute period prior to the following night's game once it was pretty apparent the ref screwed up badly. This isn't a case of making a questionable call on a penalty it is video evidence that he didn't bother to look at properly despite it being his job to do so.

this is true, sometimes, but when you have clear replay of what happened, this mistake just can't happen.

Not arguing that, but you can't just change the result of games that have already finished, especially if the change would have meant that extra time was to be played.

this is true, sometimes, but when you have clear replay of what happened, this mistake just can't happen.

Not arguing that, but you can't just change the result of games that have already finished, especially if the change would have meant that extra time was to be played.

I agree, I don't think you can just award a tie and call it even. Either more time has to be played, or you just send a letter to the Badgers and say sorry, we messed up.

The Badgers deserve a point. If you want Denver to keep the two points, fine, whatever but you have to give the Badgers at least one point because if the correct call was made that's what would have happened.

The Badgers were rejected in their quest for a point.

Moving on, the game tonight (FRI) is on FSN, currently (11PM)in the 1st period @ Alaska-Anchorage.

"His whole life is a fantasy camp. People should plunk down $2000 to live like him for a week. Sleep, do nothing, fall ass-backwards into money, mooch food off your neighbors and have sex without dating... THAT'S a fantasy camp."

Archived