Brewer Fanatic

Top Wisconsin High School Prospect(s)

As 1e Corbeau already pointed out, Markson is super-fast, and he's a really good, natural and fluid athlete. He can play the IF, but he's a potential Gold Glove type CF with a long, graceful stride and plus instincts to go along with a pretty good arm. He's a potential 5-tool player whose power has not developed yet, but there's reason to believe it will as he continues to add strength. He along with a few of the other guys mentioned in this thread could make the Wisconsin '09 class a pretty good one, relatively speaking of course.

I don't know much about James, at least not what he has been throwing recently. I know he has shown a good feel for pitching and has a really nice, projectable frame, meaning it's not hard to imagine him adding velocity to his fastball over the next 1-3 years.

Sexton is a big, powerfully built switch-hitter. I'm not so sure he'll stick at 3B, as he's probably going to have people continually question his body as he isn't the most loose of athletes. It may not matter given his power potential, but most high schoolers built like he is typically attend college where they are given the opportunity to continue to prove scouts wrong (such as Brett Wallace).

Thanks for the tidbit 1e Corbeau. Nice hearing about Effertz throwing 92, that definitely will put him on scouts radars heading into next spring. Hopefully Blazer can land some to most (or all) of these guys for the team he assembles for the fall, which annually attends the Jupiter tourney in October.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Walker is a great kid, lots of character. He is probably best served by going to college. He projects as a late rounder right now. Has very little speed. Its a great story seeing a kid from Milwaukee getting this kind of attention.

• 3 weeks later...
Kyle from Driveline Mechanics broke down Brad Schreiber's pitching mechanics based on a video from a high school all-star game at Miller Park two weeks ago that I recorded from the TV broadcast, which battlekow sent him (you might have to read that again to actually determine what happened). The quote on the top is a quick scouting report on him from me that I posted at BCB, his season stats are listed in the comments section. Brad will be a senior at Kimberly this year.

That's very cool, thanks for providing that, and thanks to you both for pushing it forward for it to be broken down. He's definitely a little more loose and rangy than his brother.

Just curious, was the game televised on TWSports? I was out of town that day, so I wasn't able to attend the game (I'm assuming the Milwaukee Brewers Classic that was on the 17th). TWSports does a good job replaying things, probably because they don't have much to show, but there were supposed to be some pretty good players in attendance for a fairly good group of '09s.

Yeah colby, it was the Brewers Classic on the 17th, televised on TW Sports. As you said, I'm sure they will replay it but I don't know how good of a schedule they have out. I have the videotape of it, and I just took a quick video with a digital camera from a flatscreen TV. Here's the initial video if you're interested, it's the leadoff batter in the bottom of the first and the first of three in a row that Brad K'd- the last pitch is a pretty nice curve.

I know why it's confusing to you guys who aren't in the Fox Valley, but Brad and Phil are first cousins, not brothers- Phil went to Kaukauna and Brad went to Kimberly (they actually faced each other in a game last year). This article outlines it a bit, I see why everyone gets the impression that they're brothers because you have to look closely to realize what's going on.

Thanks for the reminder on Brad and Phil being cousins. That's a total brain freeze on my part, as I remember you and/or molitorfan among others mentioning that before. They do look pretty similar physically, as Phil has a pretty sharp curveball as well and also topped out in the upper 80s, but I like Brad's chances of adding velocity onto his FB better.

And thanks as well for the video and the story. I always appreciate people providing stories, links, video and whatever else they can on the local guys, because to be perfectly honest, my focus usually lies elsewhere since the upper Midwest isn't exactly a hotbed for pro talent. Like I said before, I do try to make the Brewers Classic every year, so I'm happy to hear I may be able to catch it if TWSports is able to come through for me.

• 1 month later...
I just noticed that Sam Munson is now at Walters State Community College in Tennessee. They're a perennial national powerhouse at the JC level, as I was always a little surprised he committed to Florida International at the D1 level.

• 3 weeks later...

I've seen most of these guys. I believe the player that has the best chance to sign out of HS is Sexton, but, I'm not a scout. He not only has good power, he's a very good hitter. Plus, he is physically mature enough to have success with a wood bat already. He has some work to do in the field and for sure needs to get tougher mentally, but you can't teach his size and bat control already. I believe he would have really good number with an aluminum bat in college right away as well, but will probably have to DH for a bit. At the pro level, I'm not sure he will be able to play a position.

I like James more at 1B than on the hill, but he still has such as young looking body that who knows how he will develop as a pitcher. His bat has promise since he's a big kid from the left side of the plate.

I also like Markson. With his tools and attitude, he will be watched. Hopefully Notre Dame will be a good fit for him and he can make progress with the stick.

Brett Walker also has some intriguing tools, but is very raw. He is obviously a great athlete who needs to continue to get good baseball instruction.

I only saw Effertz at Miller Park, but he really looked good and looked like he had an idea out there of what he was doing. Heard he may end up at Arizona. I would think he should get scouted pretty heavily this spring too.

I've been doing some digging on Sexton because of his big post season tourney and trying to get a feel for his post high school possibilities. To be quite honest the coaches and the scouts I have spoken to didn't understand all the high praise. Sure he has some power and a decent bat but he is already lacking a position in high school, and his foot speed and body is for a lack of a better term is suspect. I have also heard from a guy who has some pretty decent knowledge of North Shore Conference as a whole and there might be some question marks with non-baseball stuff. A college coach I talked to said that Sexton might only be the 2nd or 3rd best high school player in West Bend, behind West Bend West's Ryan Shilter. From what I gathered at this point I would have to say a JUCO or a strong WIAC school would be in order for Sexton and he'll get the oppertunity to prove everyone wrong.

Sexton is already going to Bradley (D1) - so your "digging" must have missed that small point. Apparently they, and several other D1 schools, are pretty intrigued by him. Sexton has his good points and his bad points, but to insinuate that he has "non-baseball" issues is a cheap shot, and I don't even know the kid at all. None of this is true - period. Plus - his stick would play at a ton of D1 colleges whether he has a position at 1B or not. He has big time power with an aluminum bat and is an incredibly tough out. Give the kid a break.

Schilter is a great HS catcher, and you can't really compare him to Sexton because they are two completely different positions. Plus - there is nobody in West Bend above those two kids as college prospects at any grade level yet.

Also Madtown - why is it that all your posts seem to always refer to "talking to a scout" or a "college coach" or "I heard that" or "someone in the know told me UW is forming a committee to bring back baseball". If by "someone told you" you mean your active imagination, you need to have a discussion with that guy. He's giving you some bad advice, and might even be making some of it up (baseball committee at UW) - don't you think??? I think you should read the wall at Jimmy Johns where it says "the single most destructive force in the universe is gossip".

Whoa Whoa Whoa brother chill out here. This is a website that discusses the draft. I don't know Sexton or many of the high school prospects for that matter, to be honest I have never seen him play. So the only way I can get information on a individual is by asking people that have seen him play. That is the only way I can do it. I was by no way saying that Sexton was a bad kid, bad baseball player, or bad anything. I am however not going to sit here and say that every kid is going to be this superstar. That isn't fair to the player or the readers of the board.

Unfortantaly some in this state have a inflated opinion of the baseball talent around. Don't get me wrong there is some real good baseball being played here but if you are going to equate that to potential draft prospects of an individual in this state it is a challange. Does that mean a player isn't good or doesn't have a shot, well no, but to even bring up signability at this point is rediculous. Anytime you bring up anything constructive nowdays it is considered to be a "shot" or a "slam" on somebody. I said that Adam Frost would have a hard time getting a look and I was dead wrong. It isn't a personal thing as it towards the frustration of the level of oppertunities for ballplayers in Wisconsin.

As far as always bringing up hearing it from, or this source says. I am not going to bring something to attention that I have little knowledge about without consulting somebody who does. I have been fortunate enough to have a few people in life that do have knowledge in these areas. I am sorry you think I am spreading "gossip." If I have been wrong I have always owned up to it and I have never run. So I am sorry if you don't like the fact that I won't sell out a current college coach, who could face penalties for talking about high school players, or scouts, who could get in trouble with their teams, I won't do that. I will happily take the arrows and the stoning for any and all information that I post. I was totally wrong about Adam Frost and I hope all the kids in the area get the oppertunity that Frost has.

If EJ Sexton has a firm offer from Bradley then great! I hope the information I posted was wrong. I wish him nothing but the best as I hope for all the baseball players in this state. But if you expect me to sit here and start talking about signability in October you are insane. This is a message board that talks about the draft. If I can add something from somebody that might not otherwise be known I feel like that can help. If it is right I never take credit, and if I am wrong I always take the blame. That is the difference between somebody who post things to post them and run and somebody like me who isn't afraid to stand in the fire. As far as the Wisconsin baseball/gymnastics committee, my sister Katie was the source and she works for the university so I felt confident in posting that.

I've been doing some digging on Sexton because of his big post season tourney and trying to get a feel for his post high school possibilities. To be quite honest the coaches and the scouts I have spoken to didn't understand all the high praise. Sure he has some power and a decent bat but he is already lacking a position in high school, and his foot speed and body is for a lack of a better term is suspect. I have also heard from a guy who has some pretty decent knowledge of North Shore Conference as a whole and there might be some question marks with non-baseball stuff. A college coach I talked to said that Sexton might only be the 2nd or 3rd best high school player in West Bend, behind West Bend West's Ryan Shilter. From what I gathered at this point I would have to say a JUCO or a strong WIAC school would be in order for Sexton and he'll get the oppertunity to prove everyone wrong.
Madtown - Why would anyone ever make a negative comment about someone he has not seen or doesn't know??? Your comments above sure make it sound like you've seen him. To me, these comments are nothing but meritless gossip (def. idle talk or rumor about the personal or private affairs of others) and they don't belong on the boards. Also, why would anyone make a post about someone else's (Concordia coaching staff) thoughts? How about citing your sources and all these scouts and coaches you seem to know? Or better yet, how about they get on the boards and throw in their two cents if they want to chime in about someone's character?? I'm all for fair evaluation, but it seems like your just regurgitating others thoughts and have absolutely no intent to help this kid and are hurting his reputation for no good reason.

In addition to Markson going to Notre Dame, Effertz going to Arizona and Sexton going to Bradley, Kevin James has committed to Boston College while Chase Graskiewicz and Dale Kube have committed to Kansas State. Nice to see a healthy group of WI players committed to notable D1 programs (K-State has their moments).

Add these D1 commitments to the list:

John Capasso - Milwaukee (great wheels and can hit - lefty stick)

Tim Suminski - UIC (Nice LHP who throws high 80's - note to Tim, if you wanted to go south, you didn't go very far LOL) Now big Ed can see you.

Ryan Schilter - getting interest from some D1 programs, but nothing for sure here yet (catcher/outfielder potential in college with decent wheels and hit 10 HRs as Jr.)

Jamie Wells - NIU (no info)

Chris Ritter - Bradley (no info)

Sean Gerber - St. Louis

Yes - tons of kids for the last couple of years are getting a chance at D1 - thanks to hard work, exposure from RJ and the Blazers, Team Wisconsin, the Brewer Classic Game, Perfect Game, and probably others. If you want to get seen, you have tons of opportunity in this state in spite of being in the north.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

well to add some news from fond du lac former players

Chad Pierce has transferred after two season at Arkansas where they moved him from catcher to relief pitcher back to Wisconsin to UWM. We will be playing with HS teammate and former Brewer pick Wes Munson(Transferred to UWM after 1st semester his freshman year). He will be redshirt this season and be playing catcher in 2010.

http://uwmpanthers.cstv.com/sports/m-basebl/mtt/pierce_chad00.html

Also Wes's brother standout SS Sam Munson back out of a commitment with Florida International Univerisity and is playing in Tennessee at Walters State JC.

http://www.ws.edu/athletics/news/athleticviewstory.asp?id=90

http://ws.edu/athletics/Mens_Baseball/Players/2009%20Players%20Bio's/Bio%20Munson.htm

so far batting stats are:

.400 BA--2 HR--15 RBI 8 doubles

Wes has battled some injuries and hasn't played to great this season

5-2 gp/gs .100BA --1-10 -- 6'ks also a 6.15 fielding% with 5 errors

• 7 months later...

From BA's Top 20 Indy League prospects chat:

[tt]Alex Byrne (Depere): Do you think a team will sign Adam Frost and if so, what level do you think he would be assigned or reach?[/tt]

J.J. Cooper: I'd expect to see him signed and he's young enough to still be sent to Class A. The big question with him is where would he play? He could stick at shortstop or be a utility infielder but there's some thought that his speed would play best in center field.

From BA's Top 20 Indy League prospects chat:

[tt]Alex Byrne (Depere): Do you think a team will sign Adam Frost and if so, what level do you think he would be assigned or reach?[/tt]

J.J. Cooper: I'd expect to see him signed and he's young enough to still be sent to Class A. The big question with him is where would he play? He could stick at shortstop or be a utility infielder but there's some thought that his speed would play best in center field.

Adam Frost signed by Kansas City

• 2 months later...

Archived