Brewer Fanatic

Top Wisconsin High School Prospect(s)

Alright I am going to attack that list you gave here. You missed Josh Groves, who had a MONSTER weekend for UWM.

Kyle Barry, P, MATC, slim to none. MATC usually gets a guy or two drafted a year. I don't know if this is the one. Winiarski is the guy from MATC I have heard more about this year.

Ross Bennett, 1B, UW-P , second year I have heard about this player. The thing about Bennett that will effect him is his age. He has good numbers and should get a look. Will definatly play somewhere eventually but he might have to do the Independent route to get there.

Thomas Corcoran, 1B, UW-W and Adam Dominick, P, UW-W, no chance this year.

Adam Frost, SS, St. Norbert, has probably the best chance of the division 3 kids of getting a look this year. Has a couple real attractive skill sets and is a hard worker from what I've been told.

Jake Hermsen, P/OF, New London HS, Can't say I have heard of him.

Matthew Holzhueter, P, UWM, I think injuries have stopped his chance of getting drafted. Plus last year he struggled to a tune of a 7+ ERA. If any pitchers get drafted this year from Milwaukee it will be Andy Hetebrueg, on size alone.

Jacob Husing, P, Carthage, ehhhhh outside shot. It is always hard to read Carthage. They always have a solid team. Husing is going to be outstanding for Carthage this year but does that translate to a draft status? probably not.

Cody Koback, P, Stevens Point HS, Heard the name but I am not a solid on the HS kids as I am the college kids.

Chris Krepline, P, Carthage, like Husing should put up solid stats. Draftable? hard to tell.

Sam Munson, 3B, Fond Du Lac HS, I think Colby has talked a lot about him. Skill wise I think he is probably the best of the prep players and has a chance to get drafted in the mid rounds.

Wes Munson, 3B, UWM, Hard to tell what happened to him. He played poorly last season and then this past weekend didn't play at all.

Philip Schreiber, P, Kaukauna HS, Again just going off what I've heard from Blazer and Colby on him. Seems like a decent bet to get a draft selection.

Kyle Stewart, P, Onalaska HS, Can't say I have heard about him very much.

Dan Sullivan, P, Dodgeville, HS, have seen him pitch actually and I wasn't impressed. I have seen him get hit pretty hard but he could do pretty well if somebody gets their hands on him in a good college program.

Kevin Wild, P, Brown Deer HS, have seen him multiple times throw. I highly doubt he gets drafted. Might not even be the top HS pitcher in the area.

Cody Winiarski, P, MATC, has a shot. These MATC guys are tough to scout because of the type teams they play.

I think it is a very poor year for Wisconsin years. Probably 3 or 4 guys have a chance but it won't be much more then that.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Colby I believe that Sam wasn't there because of basketball. They were just eliminated by Oshkosh West in the playoffs last week.

As for Wes last year, I think part of the problem is all the moving around and stuff that we was doing. Started at Mizzou, then MATC Madison finally to Milwaukee not much time to really settle in, at least I hope so! I've know him since i was 5 or 6 so a little bias to him and Sam.

• 2 weeks later...
Stewart is a 6-5 pitcher from Onalaska, which is just north of LaCrosse, meaning he draws comparisons to 6-5 Brewer farm hand Seidel, who played at LaCrosse Central. Like Seidel, Stewart is atheltic and has had success in another sport (basketball). He doesn't throw as hard as Seidel did in his senior year but remember that Seidel kept adding velocity as his senior year and summer went along before the Brewers signed him late summer. Stewart also figures to have some projectability but I don't think anyone is saying (now) that he'll rise like Seidel did. I believe Stewart has signed with East Carolina.

I got to see Stewart at the PG Indoor a month ago, and I meant to comment on him earlier. He has a really loose arm, and his stuff has already improved considerably over the last year and a half. He was 83-86 at the PG Indoor, and was up to 88 at the WWBA tourney last fall. He showed a mid-70s breaking ball at the indoor, which looked more like a curve to me, but reports say he throws a slider that can reach a few more ticks. He was 80-81 in the fall of '06, 84-86 the next spring and then 85-87 last fall, so there definitely is a trend of progression going on with Stewart, but still he isn't the same kind of prospect as Seidel, who could hit 90 entering his senior year of high school and also had that impressive changeup to go along with is commitment to Arkansas.

Stewart has committed with Western Carolina, but I agree that he's definitely a name to watch. Blazer would know as well as anyone how this kid projects.

Another Wisconsin kid I saw listed above that I saw at the PG Indoor was RHP Danny Sullivan from Dodgeville. He's a shorter, slender righty, which alone is going to limit his potential, but he had a nice 3-pitch mix and was up to 88 with his fastball.

I talked to cross checker friend of mine on Monday and he wasn't very high on any of the Wisconsin HS kids whether it was because of signability or skill sets. College players he said there is a chance for one maybe two players from the area that could have a legit chance of being drafted and signed.

On a side note, I don't know if you have noticed but UWM has started 1-10 and against a poor schedule. I think my position on UWM baseball is well noted over the years on this board but either this changes or UWM holds absolutly no relevance in baseball in Wisconsin anymore.

• 1 month later...

Phil Schreiber from Kaukauna threw a 5 inning no-hitter yesterday against Neenah (Kaukauna won 11-0 in 5) that would have been a perfect game if not for two passed balls on third strikes. The game was moved to an alternate field a couple hours before game time due to wet grounds, so a scout would have had problems finding the game even if had intentions to catch Schreiber.

Simply put, this guy is a top 10 round talent. The results in the FVA are there, the velocity and curve are there, as are the dedication and character. You would have a hard time convincing me that Efrain Nieves has better pro potential than Schreiber.

Sorry Colbyjack, we do not have a gun. The mound on Friday was a tar pit, making his performance all the more special. If I had to guess, topping out at 86 or soon Frieday, which is fine considering the conditions. When we were indoors, I would guess he was easily popping the mitt at 88-90, but without a gun, it is all subjective.

Adam Frost was preseason first team D-3 All American. His numbers, while not quite as spectacular as last year, are still quite impressive: .407/.472/.703, 16 of 18 SB.

He also held his own last summer playing with mostly D-1 talent for the Green Bay Bullfrogs in the Northwoods league, batting .283.

Unfortantly for Frost he needed a HUGE season because his tools don't really translate well into great success at the minor league level. I've talked to scouts about Frost and the biggest issue for him is that his ceiling might be what you already see. Frost might get a shot though either as a late LATE round draft pick or more probable a undrafted deal or independent route.

Josh Groves from UWM is a good hitter for a "underachieving" ball club. I don't know what position he will play in the minors but his bat might be toolsy enough to get him a look. A scout I sat next to at a UWM game this season told me that if the glove matched the stick then he would be a absolute lock to get drafted.

The only real chance of getting drafted in this state this season is UWM pitcher Andy Hetebrueg. Big kid (6'7") with deceptive movement with a plus arm. The scout I sat next to was marking him at 84-87 and hitting 88 at times. The thing is about him is he doesn't have another pitch he can make guys swing and miss on. The scout I sat next to thought he would get drafted on his size alone.

There are going to be other kids that could get drafted from JUCO or a program like Carthage or Parkside. I just don't know who though.

Next season is looking like one of those good college draft possibilities when it comes to Wisconsin kids.

Phil Schreiber was throwing around 92-93 in the early innings tonight, and by the sixth he was "down" in the upper 80s. I saw six innings, and he was shutting out defending state champion Kimberly on 3 hits.

Edit: He also drove in 2 runs with a triple, if anyone cares.

• 2 weeks later...

"Frost..biggest issue is ceiling might be what you already see."

Interesting comment about a guy who is from just outside of Green Bay and didn't play year round. I would think most guys from northern states are just the opposite. If he's not selected he still has another year of eligibility to prove himself. He's not exactly slumming it either, at .407/.475/.679.

I've seen Frost play roughly 5 games this season, and I agree with you that the kid can play, his biggest issue is that like you said he does play in the north. It isn't a don't like the kid, can't think he can't play but the issue is that does he have the ability to develop into a high level player? I hope I am wrong, I really do.

Over the past 2 years I have seen 4 players that have put up simular statistics to Frost that haven't or won't get drafted. Those 4 players are an Outfielder named Tim Rowe from Rockford University, Jack Walker, a Shortstop, from Concordia University Chicago, Andy Becker, a First Baseman, from Concordia University Wisconsin, and Ross Bennett, a First Baseman, from Plattville. When I compare Frost to any of those 4 I can't see where he differs from them and that isn't a good sign in terms of draft possibilities.

As far as being maxed out skills wise it isn't just a north thing it is a what you see is what you get.

What about any kids up in then NW Area of the State?

Locally, the Heart O North has Brad Hallberg, who was just featured in the Eau Claire Paper last week. Hallberg is 5-0 this season with a sub 1.50 ERA, for a very good Barron Squad that will probably make the Div II World Series.

His older brother Mark was drafted last year (6th round I believe) and is now a top prospect in the Arizona Diamondbacks Organization. Mark certainly didn't get a whole lot of looks out of Barron a few years ago, but after two stellar seasons at Illinois-Chicago, and a breakout year at Florida State, (atleast the college coaches) have been frequenting Barron games on a regular basis. I know for sure Whitewater, Point, and Oshkosh have been here, as well as Ohio State, Minnesota, and I believe Nebraska.

I imagine its fairly difficult for kids at these small schools to get noticed, but come state tournament time, maybe things will go a different direction?

The general rule about players are if you are good they will find you. I also wouldn't look to much into whether or not a college is visiting a player on what his current year draft prospects are. Many college coaches expecially at the larger schools are looking for you years down the road and not really that coming season except in some instances.

I couldn't tell you much about Brad Hallberg, sounds like a good player, but the problem is unless he is blistering the ball in the low 90's with another plus pitch it is going to be pretty hard to get drafted from the north considering they aren't as polished. I hope he gets drafted, if not I hope he ends up at a school that will develop him correctly so one day he could.

This one's for JohnBriggs, Adam Frost's biggest fan outside of his immediate family...these are observations from yesterday's PG pre-draft workout in Cedar Rapids, IA.

http://www.pgcrosschecker.com/columnists/davidrawnsley/2008/draft/pg_predraft_showcase_review.aspx

Adam Frost, ss, St. Norbert (Wis.) College. Frost is a 5-foot-11, 165-pound junior at a Division III school in Wisconsin. He's considered the top prospect for this year's draft from that state and established his credentials when he ran 6.49 in the 60 and showed a cannon (94 mph) across the infield in drills. His BP wasn't anything to remember but he laced the ball hard to the alleys in the games. Frost's game defense was flawless. He moves easily and quickly, and plays with a level of confidence that belies his humble background. Further investigation shows that Frost hit .386-7-36 in 36 games this spring, with 23 steals. He could be a very interesting, small-school sleeper based on what he showed Wednesday.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
One guy that I haven't seen mentioned in this thread is Paul Hoenecke. He was drafted by the Tigers in the 42nd round as a third baseman out of West Bend HS. What do you guys know about him? I'm guessing there is little chance that he signs considering he was drafted so late. Which college is he committed to?

One guy that I haven't seen mentioned in this thread is Paul Hoenecke. He was drafted by the Tigers in the 42nd round as a third baseman out of West Bend HS. What do you guys know about him? I'm guessing there is little chance that he signs considering he was drafted so late. Which college is he committed to?

UWM.

Defensively, he is getting better at third base. He has good hands, and an average arm. His footwork needs to get better. With the bat, he should hit for both average and power. The Tigers scouted him extensively this spring, and had he been seen more nationally, he would've had the chance to go to a bigger school than Wisconsin-Milwaukee.
link
Paul Hoenecke (42) is very polished with the bat for a Wisconsin player. He is a left-handed hitter who has the chance to hit for average and power. His hands and arm play well at third, but he needs to work on his footwork.

If he had played on the showcase circuit, he would've wound up at a school with more of baseball pedigree than Wisconsin-Milwaukee.

He is an outstanding student, so it will take a pretty decent bonus to keep him away from college.

A quick stat update on Hoenecke, whose numbers are quickly bordering on ridiculous. He is hitting .565 (26-46) with four homers and 26 RBIs. He has drawn 15 walks and has just two strikeouts.

He has hit 11 doubles, scored 23 runs and 3-for-4 in stolen bases. Perhaps the biggest number is the number of errors he has made at third base - zero.

Hoenecke is certainly doing his part to make the Tigers take notice of him as a potential signee.

link

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Anyone see that article on the catcher from Milwaukee Lutheran in this morning's JSOnline? Colby, any insight on this kid?

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=778984

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Actually that is the first I have heard of Walker. Very interesting though, as the Milwaukee area typically doesn't produce that many pro prospects, or even high-level college guys. I'm sure Blazer25 has seen him, although I know Blazer has had an extremely busy summer scouting. Hopefully at some point he will stop in and offer his thoughts on Walker.

Markson is fast: 6.3-6.4 speed with good strength and can hit already (stats). I hear he's getting some interest from Duke, BC and Iowa.

I've been asking questions of one of our members in this forum about one of Markson's teammates, LHP/1B Kevin James (stats) He throws mid 80s with a plus CB and is relatively new to pitching (1-2 years experience). He also has good makeup, is a competitor and has some pop in the bat. I think he's going ACC.

Any more info on either would be great. (I know someone who knows someone, so I'm interested in finding out more.)

Also, I hear Team Wisconsin did well at an IL tourney this weekend. The LAD were very intrigued by EJ Sexton from West Bend East, who hit 3HRs in one game on Friday and three total on Saturday. They had another scout (national cross-checker, I'd guess) fly in for the Sat performance. Also, Joel Effertz, a RHP from Ladysmith, was throwing 92. Team Wisconsin roster is here.

Archived