Brewer Fanatic

Top Wisconsin High School Prospect(s)

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, this is a better fit in the draft thread.

Sam Munson, a SS from Fond du Lac and Phil Scheiber, a RHP from Kaukana, are the top two high school players in Wisconsin eligible for this June's draft. I doubt either one gets drafted in the top 10-15 rounds at this point in time.

How about guys going to college? I play in the Little Ten and the Conference POY last year was Brock Guetzke of Hartford who is a lefty and is a very good pitcher, and a teammate of mine is Zach Lauersdorf of Watertown who can pitch, field at SS, and hit as well as anybody (notice a bit of bias, but seriously, he can), should be looked at as well as Adam Patrick of Milwaukee Lutheran who is a good catcher with a good arm and is over 6 feet tall, and a junior. Just throwing a few names that are college worthy.

from everything i have heard sammy munson is supose be taken in the top 15 rounds. As of around xmas every team has had a scout 2 there there house, mets where the last team. A quit a few of them are very high on him and in constant contact wit him. With him throwin over 90 across the infield and his great 60 times, bat speed, shame if he doesnt! U should see the kid drunk, he is an extremely gifted athlete. Also like 2 add wes his older brother is eligiable 4 this draft due 2 his summer bday. If Sam was from another state he would be rated much higher

If Sam was from another state he would be rated much higher.

That's exactly why I said that I felt neither Munson nor Schreiber would be taken in the top 10-15 rounds.

Munson is a good athlete, but he's inconsistent. He has good tools, but he can be a little stiff at times. I can definitely see one team falling in love with him if they have seen him at his best on more than one occasion, but then again moving forward they're not going to get as many opportunities to see him play, and the biggest thing holding him back right now is game experience, and it's going to be hard for him to get that between now and June. When you consider the amount of money that may be required to sign a player like Munson and it may cause teams to stop and look elsewhere.

On pure talent he's definitely a top 10 round pick.

I hope he's at the PG Indoor the second weekend of February as I plan to be there and I would love to see him again particularly since I haven't seen him play since last August.

None of those names you mentioned are draft prospects.
FYI

I wasn't responding to Colby's post but the young man from Watertown.

Sam Munson, Phil Schreiber and a few others have a chance to get drafted. Schreiber probably is the best prospect in the state and I don't think he will go in the top 10 rounds.

A little bit of a down year for Wisconsin this year in college and HS draft wise.

Whitewater and Oshkosh probably have better programs than La Crosse, and possibly even Milwaukee, although being a D1 team alone probably makes UWM the best program in the state, even if they play at the worst home park of any D1 team (it's hard to even call it a baseball field).

D3 baseball is pretty strong in Wisconsin with Whitewater, Oshkosh and even Stevens Point (at least when they had Jordan Zimmerman) and Ripon. There are a few people out there such as Blazer and Madtown Bomber that have a much better feel for the Wisconsin colleges.

The Madison Area Technical College is also known for providing a pro prospect every few years.

Colby and Blazer are right, as far as prospects go it is a pretty down year for Wisconsin. Only 3 players I have heard about in any sort of slim draft guys are Josh Groves, a 3B from UWM, Andy Heteberg, a big RHP from UWM, and Adam Frost, a INF from St. Norbert.

Every year around this time the question is asked about the strength of college baseball in Wisconsin and every year I give the same verdict. UWM is unfortantly not much of a program. The ballpark they play at is not even a good high school field. They have been talking for years about improving their current place or building a new one but that has obviously not materialized. Every year UWM has gone out and tried to schedule some decent games but they don't even have that this year. No SEC, ACC, or Big 12 teams aka baseball conferences. UWM has got to make a dent here soon or face the possibility of not even mattering. Concordia right up the road is in the process of building a state of the art college facility, Whitewater has a great facility, as does Oshkosh. We've already started to see some of the better players go the JUCO, D-3 route instead of UWM. It is sad because I think the potential is there to be a player in that conference. All that and I didn't even bring up the challanges Scott Doffek has as a coach this time.

Division 3 baseball in the state is where it is at. There are many good programs already in this state and a few teams on the rise.

Whitewater, Oshkosh, and Stevens Point are the class of the WIAC. They are clearly the place that develops the most talent and the results back it up.

Of the smaller schools you have teams like Madison Edgewood, Carthage, and Ripon that are the cream of the crop.

And then you have teams on the rise like Concordia and St. Norbert who could definatly come into their own soon.

If I was going to rank the schools in terms of talent this season I would go:

1. Stevens Point-talent level is tops again. They will be a team to watch in all D-3.

2. Oshkosh-might be one year away from really contending but this group could do some damage.

3. Carthage-they are good every year and they recruit really well there. I love their ballpark.

4. Milwaukee-I don't know what a reasonable expectation is for this team. They play a softer schedule then they are used to. I don't expect much more then a .500 season.

5. Whitewater-like Oshkosh, might be a year away. They are coming hard though. They got some kids...all be it young.

6. Edgewood-always the favorite in that conference. They have good talent but usually the questionable character kids. They aren't as deep as usual this year.

7. Parkside-Solid D-2 program. Probably deserves to be higher but from what I hear they might struggle early because of inexpierence. Good program though.

8. St. Norbert-They have some talent but do they have enough depth to make it through a 4 game week?

9. Concordia-on the rise. they have so much talent sophomore and below. Staff there is top notch. New park in 2009 or 2010.

10. Ripon-always good as long as Gordie is there but this is a young and not so deep team. Lucky for him conference is down with his own team.

11. Stout-Could be ok, they surprised some last year.

12. Marion-Always a player in that conference because they draw from whatever Oshkosh doesn't want.

13. Plattville-WIAC school that gets second tier talent.

14. La Crosse-Same as Plattville.

15. Lawrance-Could be ugly this year, I guess. I read something that predicted them 2nd to last this year.

16. Beloit-They are ok, always will be, tough area to recruit to.

17. Carroll-Good luck to Jason, who is a good dude in his second year there. It is only a matter of time.

18. Lakeland-Program was something before recruiting violations and transfers happened. New Coach, little talent this season.

19. Wisconsin Lutheran-great facility, no idea why they are so bad. same goes for football team.

20. Superior-feel bad because they just got back into the WIAC for baseball but they are BAD

21. Northland-Pretty bad. I don't even know where their facility is.

22. MSOE-So hard to recruit athletes to come play here. Facilities are horrible, and getting into school is hell, and you can't get a girl there cause there are none that go there.

23. Maranatha-Why they have a team is the question.

That is the quick 10 minute disect for you.

I used to go to Wisconsin Lutheran for college and now am at Parkside. I will be interested to see how both do this year. Parkside's head coach is former Twin and 1991 World Champion, Jarvis Brown if you didn't know that. Very cool guy if you ever get a chance to go watch a game of Parkside's and want to talk to him. Had him sign some baseball cards for me and we chatted baseball. He even was in a Writing for Business and Industry class with me haha. As far as Wisconsin Lutheran goes....I've been to their field once and although it's new it was a little disappointing from all the hoopla I'd heard about it. The grass looked below average in the outfield for quality. Nice complex however. I contemplated playing for them when I began college but didn't because I just don't have time. I think the reason their program is so weak is because the enrollment is like 500-600 students only. This is because the tuition is EXPENSIVE and it's a tiny campus so most kids feel it's a boring place to go to college.

Ripon-always good as long as Gordie is there but this is a young and not so deep team. Lucky for him conference is down with his own team.
Madtown,

Maybe it was a typo but you know that Gordie hasn't been at Ripon since 2005 right? His son Bob Gillespie is now the coach.

Gordie is at St Francis in Joliet, IL.

Link to Gordie

Not trying to call you out on credibility. I actually think it was a well done list.

I do disagree that the WIAC teams are better than UWM from a talent standpoint but otherwise you nailed it.

The WIAC teams have had more success and may even have more resources/ better programs but player for player UWM has better guys.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, I didn't think you were, I thought I did. I don't disagree with your claim about UWM player for player having more talent then the WIAC kids but I don't totally agree either, if that makes sense. Let me explain.

You having a professional scouting background you may be able to dispute this.

I think that UWM gets the higher talent recruit but 3 years or 4 years down the line the better "baseball" players reside at Oshkosh, Whitewater, Stevens Point over UWM. They might not have the measurable tools a kid from UWM will have but the top end kids at the D3 level do get noticed now. The WIAC kids are more skill sound but have a less of a ceiling then a player at the D1 Level.

There are many reasons to dislike the direction of the program at UWM. First off, the facilities are a joke. They need to get some of their donors together and figure something out or figure out a way to get into Miller Park more if that is possible. Secondly, I feel that they do not get the support from the school like they should, almost like they are a after thought. Third, Whether or not you like Scott Doffek as a person I don't think he was the proper person to hire as the head coach. Ask any high level local HS coach of their opinion of the staff at UWM and they are not to quick to offer support. Fact is Doffek has struggled in identifying the top kids in this state and keeping them around...which is why the WIAC has good talent. Any baseball man that says that Ryan Rohlinger (currently in the San Francisco organization) does not have the talent to play at a place like UWM is in my mind not a good talent evaluator. Blazer I know you know Ryan well, and I have seen a lot of baseball in my time watching local HS baseball and Rohlinger had as close to the best skill set I've seen out of a positional player at the Wisconsin HS level since 1998.

I know it's always debated about whether or not baseball will ever return to Madison. Many feel it will never happen, but I can tell you as of this afternoon I was informed by somebody pretty much in the know at the University of Wisconsin and the University has decided to get a committee together to start looking into female scholorship sports that could be offered to offset any male scholorships offered if they were to start baseball back up. We are looking at least at 2010 at the earliest before any chance of baseball returning to the main campus of Wisconsin if at all. Atleast there is something, even though it doesn't seem like much.

We are looking at least at 2010 at the earliest before any chance of baseball returning to the main campus of Wisconsin if at all. Atleast there is something, even though it doesn't seem like much.

That's the best news I've heard in a long time.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

If the UW is going to add baseball, now would be the time to do it. The athletic department is getting an additional $4.2 million in revenue this year from the Big Ten Network, and the conference may be able to start recruiting better if they can sell that anyone in the country with a basic Dish or DirecTV package will be able to watch you play.

There are a number of feasibility issues though, such as where would they play. There is a lot of renovation and rebuilding of the downtown area of campus, and there isn't really any space on campus to build a facility. With a recently remodeled Camp Randall, a new softball stadium, and a $2 million crew facility, the Athletic Department might have a hard time coming up with the money needed for re-startup costs.

While I'm excited to hear about the possibility of Wisconsin bringing back their baseball program, I'll believe it when I see it.

A few months ago I asked people to provide any info they had on the UW baseball program. After digging a little bit and asking a few people about it I came to the realization that writing a story about the since defunct UW baseball program would be a waste of my time. There are plent of people that write about this each and every year, and every time they do their ideas get shot down for a variety of reasons that have been well documented before.

I just want to give everyone else the head's up that I plan to see two of Wisconsin's top prep players, Sam Munson and Phil Schreiber, at the PG Indoor showcase in Cedar Rapids, Iowa. I'll be sure to share my thoughts on them at some point next week. Muson is scheduled to throw as well as hit.

Sam Munson didn't show up today. I didn't hear or ask for a reason why (not that it matters, stuff happens).

Phil Schreiber threw 87-90 today, with a 74-75 curve. He threw a ton of curves in his outing, more so than any other pitcher on the day. It's a very sharp pitch, with hard breaking movement that makes it very hard to hit. His arm action is nearly identical between his fastball and curveball, making it that much harder to hit.

I honestly don't think there is too much projection left on his arm, meaning you probably can't expect much more than 90 mph down the road. I don't doubt that he'll be throwing harder this spring, and I've personally seen him up to 91-92. He's a good pitcher, but I'm guessing at this point in time it's more likely he goes to Iowa (his college commitment) than heads to pro ball (because he won't get drafted high enough).

More than anything else, it was nice to get a taste for baseball in early to mid-February coming off of a brutal winter week.

I saw New London LHP Jake Hermsen (no relation to BJ Hermsen) pitch on Sunday at the PG Indoor. His fastball sat in the 83-85 range and he showed a really nice 74 curveball. Hermsen and Schreiber might have displayed the best, most consistent breaking pitches of anyone in attendance not named Odorizzi. The scouts and PG staff were muttering how much they liked watching Hermsen pitch, even if his professional options at this point in time aren't that great given his lack of velocity. While he could push 90 mph at some point in time, as he's been up to 88 in the past and should return to the 85-88 range when it warms up.

He's a good athlete that is a switch hitter that runs and swings the bat pretty well. He's committed to Northern Illinois, where he should make a strong impact as a two-way player.

I also wanted to bring up these comments from a story by BA's Aaron Fitt talking about the likelihood of baseball returning to some of the bigger D1 programs in the nation since Oregon will field a team starting next year. The short answer is not likely (comments provided are a snippet of subscriber based content):

The Big 10 has been the driving force behind the change-of-season plan, but even that conference is not at full strength when it comes to baseball. Wisconsin cut its program in 1993, and there have been rumblings of a revival since former football coach Barry Alvarez became athletics director that the Badgers would try to bring the program back.

"A s we go through our budgeting process and five-year planning and such, a dding another sport such as baseball or any other sport is not in the short-term future," Wisconsin senior associate AD for external relations Vince Sweeney said. "Beyond that, we never say never to anything. We do acknowledge that we're the only school in our conference without baseball and that that's a bit unusual, but I think our view is in the short run, we have no plans to reinstate it, but we never rule anything out longer term."

For the Badgers to bring back baseball, they would also have to add another women's sport to comply with Title IX requirements, or else face the unpleasant chore of cut another men's sport, which Sweeney said is not an option. Still, Sweeney acknowledged that the recent changes to help Northern schools compete are a step in the right direction.

"We do notice (the changes), and it's all part of our thought process," he said. "We like the direction it's heading, but that still doesn't get us through the financial impact of adding any sport at this time, particularly a men's sport."Clearly Madison, Wisc. has an appetite for college baseball-just look at the huge crowds drawn by the Northwoods League's Madison Mallards. But there's a crucial distinction, Sweeney said.

"They play in the summer. Our season is over by the time the Mallards begin," he said. "If the discussion is to have the NCAA baseball in the summer or the fall, then from a weather standpoint it's a different ballgame. But right now we're done just before the weather starts to get warm."

• 2 weeks later...

According to the people I work with, the top Wisconsin Draft Eligible players this year are:

None of them stands out really, and if drafted should go between rounds 20 and 40. There are other players out there, who if they had breakout years could drop into that mix, or just go in the last 10 rounds as well.

Kyle Barry, P, MATC

Ross Bennett, 1B, UW-P

Thomas Corcoran, 1B, UW-W

Adam Dominick, P, UW-W

Adam Frost, SS, St. Norbert

Jake Hermsen, P/OF, New London HS

Matthew Holzhueter, P, UWM

Jacob Husing, P, Carthage

Cody Koback, P, Stevens Point HS

Chris Krepline, P, Carthage

Sam Munson, 3B, Fond Du Lac HS

Wes Munson, 3B, UWM