Brewer Fanatic

Last Piece--Chad Tracy

DrWood

He could start 20-50 games at 3b (vs. Righties), backup at 1b and the corner OF positions. I'm just not certain about his recovery after his surgery; he might not be ready at the start of the season.

bench after Cameron can play: Counsell, Tracy, Dillon, Gross, Catcher. Until Cameron comes back, add Gwynn.

I don't think he'd be that pricey at all. He's going to sit on Arizona's bench next year, and he's coming off an injury. Capuano would be a fair price, maybe even overpaying.

Tracy is best as a utility guy since he can't really field any position all that well.

I don't think he'd be that pricey at all. He's going to sit on Arizona's bench next year, and he's coming off an injury. Capuano would be a fair price, maybe even overpaying.

Tracy is best as a utility guy since he can't really field any position all that well.

Who is going to play at 3B in his place??

Tracy got 500 AB's in '05 & '06, and would have last year had he not gotten hurt. He will be an everyday player in '08 somewhere.

Maybe. Not in AZ though.

Connor Jackson at 1st base isn't going to be benched in favor of Tracy.

The D-backs love Reynolds at 3rd, or so say their announcers everytime the Brewers or Cubs played them.

Upton is going to start in RF.

Young is going to start in CF.

Byrnes is going to start in LF.

And saying Chad Tracy is a "top" 3rd basemen is REALLY overstating the case. He's a serviceable 3rd basemen. He'd be a nice DH for a team like the Twins, or someone like that, but he's not a very good defensive 3rd basemen, and he definitely doesn't have a spot right now in AZ.

I'd give up Capuano for Tracy however.

Capuano for Tracy might have been worth considering before the Cameron signing, but now I don't see the point in trading Capuano for someone who won't even start in Milwaukee.
If a team's 9th player is versatile, he will be starting quite often with injuries and spot starts all over the diamond. Tracy could get a fair share at 3B, LF, and 1B, maybe some in RF.

So I wouldn't mind trading for a very solid LH 9th starter if he's a bit versatile, but I'd rather have one who's not injured.

I have to wonder, if i'm Arizona, do i trade tracey cheaply now with his injury, or do i hold him knowing i have no real position for him to play. how much does his value really go up if Arizona holds him until Spring and proves he's healthy?

Imo if he can prove his health, then he's worth a SP like Capuano, or maybe a bit better - not suggesting we do this, but around the value of Villanueva, perhaps? I want no part of Tracy until he's fully recovered from that microfracture surgery, which can take around a year or so, iirc.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I'm in full agreement with Sbrylski06. I just don't want to give Capuano quality. More like Vargas and a 10 to 20 prospect. I also think the intial suggestion is brilliant; I would target a lot of guys like this. Something's bound to happen injury-wise, and if Chad had another half-season to heal maybe he could be a very valuable player. And if we eventuallt packaged Hall he could have a long term presence.

Archived