Brewer Fanatic

1 Year deals = Sheets extension?

ryne100

I think all these one year deals are awesome. With Gagne, Mota, Kendall, and Cameron off the books next year I think we will have plenty of money to extend Sheets' contract and possibly lock up a couple of the core players, all while still improving the club for this season.

Is this a result of the free agent class or of amazing DM planning?

Edit: I'm not saying whether or not he should be extended, or even want this thread to go there, just that this offseason points to it happening.

Amazing DM planning, in which Suppan's contract also falls. Another $8 million off the books and a pitcher to trade next offseason.

The only offensive spot not locked in for 2009 or beyond is at catcher. Pitching-wise, its possible we'll be okay even if we don't resign anyone. Bullpen will probably need another arm or two, either resigned or brought in.

But that's going to be about $30+ million, maybe up to $40 if we trade Suppan, that we have to fill just a few spots. Next offseason should be the big one for resigning some of our core, Sheets among them.

Players whom the Brewers do not have to nontender next year to get rid of them:

Randy Choate

Craig Counsell ($400K buyout)

Erig Gagne

Gabe Kapler

Guillermo Mota

Ben Sheets

Brian Shouse

Sal Torres ($300K buyout)

Also keep in mind Fielder, Hart and Weeks will all be eligible for arby the first time going into 2009.

It still comes down to Suppan vs Sheets. I really don't see a way for both to be on the team.
That's a tough choice. Durability vs. high end talent. There is nothing to indicate that Sheets will continue to have injuries, but he does.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

It still comes down to Suppan vs Sheets. I really don't see a way for both to be on the team.

Two years ago, you'd be absolutely right. But with the way the Brewers have been able (and willing) to throw money around this offseason, I don't think it's cut and dried at all.

I think this is great DM planning. If he resigns Sheets, he has Sheets-Gallardo-Villanueva under control for most of the time our core position players are together. Given how inexpensive Gallardo/Villanueva are, DM could even go after another solid (#2-#3-ish) starting pitcher in 2009 or 2010 (depending on increases in revenue, of course) which would really have the makings of a formidable rotation. Adding that to this lineup (with their now (hopefully) adequate defense) could be scary.

Going into last season, I would have been all for signing Sheets to an extension. However, given he's had under 160 innings three years in a row, wouldn't it just be better to get what we get out of him in 2008 and then commit long term after the season to the best guy? It is not out of the question that with an extension, Sheets would make $16+ mil a year. Couldn't we just figure out how to spend that on a pitcher after the season?

There is absolutely no way Ben Sheets signs another Brewer contract. Those of you that think so are in denial.

Welcoim aboard the non-loving Sheers bus, you get a seat near the back since you will not be getting off soon.

Sheets has done nothing to get an extension from the Brewers, he has this year to prove himself or be moved for some useful parts for the future.

Nothing to prove himself? I think he has proved himself very well, as he is amazing when he is healthy.

I think that Melvin knows how good Sheets can be, use his injuries to get him at a reasonable rate, and sign him to an extension. I think the moves this offseason hint that we can do this. I have gotten the feeling that DM really likes Sheets and will give him a more than reasonable chance to stay a Brewer. No I am not in denial.

I love him when he actually pitches, but he's one of the most frustrating players to love.

I know he won't resign for a number of reasons, here are some:

1. The Brewers are not willing to pay 10+ mil per year to a player with his injury history

2. There are plenty of teams other than the Brewers that ARE willing to pay that 10+ mil next year

3. The Brewers have plenty of starting pitching for at least a couple of years and do not need to keep him

4. They arguably have an "ace" in training in Yovanni Gallardo, for those of you that feel we need an "ace"

Those are just reasons why the Brewers won't pursue him to the fullest. There are also plenty of reasons Ben won't want to stay in Milwaukee, most notably the scrutiny he's had to hear since signing that big contract he signed. Regardless of whether or not it's warranted, don't you think he's sick of hearing how he needs to earn his money and how the team needs him? Sick of hearing that's he's made of glass and can't ever pitch a full season? Like I said, maybe it's warranted, but Ben Sheets probably is sick the Milwaukee media whether he is willing to admit it or not.

Also, what gives you the impression that Doug Melvin really likes Sheets? Would he say anything publicly if he didn't like Sheets? I doubt it. You don't think it frustrates the hell out of Melvin that this guy can't pitch a full year and earn the contract that he gave him? I think it's just more wishful thinking on your part.

Nothing to prove himself? I think he has proved himself very well, as he is amazing when he is healthy.

I think that Melvin knows how good Sheets can be, use his injuries to get him at a reasonable rate, and sign him to an extension. I think the moves this offseason hint that we can do this. I have gotten the feeling that DM really likes Sheets and will give him a more than reasonable chance to stay a Brewer. No I am not in denial.

He has a lot to prove his great year is now way in the past, since than he has proven something and that is he can not be counted on. Sheets busriders will claim that all these injuries are unrelated and not major. Issue is when do you start to realize that these injuries just keep mounting because the player is a bit brittle. One of the greatest Brewers Paul Molitor was also labeled it.

I would love to see the Sheet Busriders if Sheets gets big bucks and comes up with a huge injury the 1st season of the new deal. Wonder what kind of scheme that would be laid out because of Sheet love they have.

I was getting worried that we wouldn't have a Sheets - 'Crap, or not?' debate this offseason! He's a fine pitcher who you'll struggle to match the high quality of IP he provides (even if it's 'only' 140).
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Sheets busriders will claim that all these injuries are unrelated and not major. Issue is when do you start to realize that these injuries just keep mounting because the player is a bit brittle. One of the greatest Brewers Paul Molitor was also labeled it.

Molitor is not exactly an example that helps your case, though, as he had 5 more excellent, mostly injury-free years in MLB after the Brewers let him go in free agency, perhaps in part because they felt he was too brittle to give a large contract to. Hindsight being 20/20, shouldn't the Brewers have ponied up whatever Molly was asking for to keep him around? Not that it really has anything to do with Sheets...

The reality is Sheets has had 2 real injures in his career and most pitchers get hurt 1 out of every 3 or 4 seasons, so he has had a pretty average injury history. He is now over a full season removed from a real injury concern.

Now Im' not gonna say the injuries dont' matter at all, I'm worried by his peripherals regressing some last season but the actual injury he had last season doesn't worry me one bit, in fact it is probably a positive since a 200+ IP season probably would have worn down his arm last season. \

Generally speaking there are 2 types of pitchers, those coming off of an injury and those due for an injury. It is just a reality that most pitchers get hurt every few seasons. I'd love to see him develop his change more so he isn't throwing as many curves which are harder on the arm. I wouldn't mind seeing him in a little better shape either, but I'm not going to just assume he gets hurt this year or that someone like say Zambrano is gonna be healthy just because they are a 'horse', pitchers get hurt it is what they do.

And That, thanks for reminding me about signing Randy Choate. I TOTALLY forgot that we signed that nugget a month and half ago.

Nugget of what is still to be determined.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

He did put up a very good first half last year, before going down with a blister. Correct me if I'm wrong but the reigning champs ended up signing their blistered ace to an extention before last year and he in turn put up a Cy-type season. And as for the argument that we also have YO!, well as I always say in poker, you can never have too many aces.

I think the one year deals have more to do with what's in the minors. I get the feeling the Brewers are going to put Pena in the closers role in 2009 and LaPorta might be in Milwaukee in 2009 -- if it takes them a little longer that's what the options are in the deal for. I don't think it has anything to do with Sheets and if the Brewers extend him it will be in season or after the season.

Archived