Brewer Fanatic

Brewers sign Mike Cameron (1yr/$6.22 mil + 2009 Team Option)

patrickgpe

Crazy Joe Dillon

I just want to say that this might be my favorite current Brewers nickname. ('I heard one time he killed a man with a nerf football and some paperclips!')

Prediction: Cameron will have a comparable OPS and K rate to Jenkins last year while upgrading the defense more (not only in his own defense, but in allowing Braun to move to LF successfully).

While Cam's OPS will likely be better than Jenks's 2007 .790, it'll probably only be by a bit - but of note is that Jenkins was shielded from LHP for all but 65 of his 420 ABs last year. Cameron doesn't exactly kill RHP (3-yr split - .251/.328/.445/.773), but he doesn't have to be protected against them. While his K rate will likely be similar, he draws BBs much, much better.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yes, I am talking about Parra, and I think if he's in AAA, then the Brewers aren't having their best 12 pitchers on the big league club.

I agree. I think the only way Parra is in AAA is if he doesn't get a spot in the rotation. Even then I think they'll keep him for long relief. Should make for an interesting Spring.

If I had Braun's pee in my fridge I'd tell everybody.

~Nottso

Just heard about this. While I'm not overly excited about Cameron, at least he will improve the defense. Still don't like the fact that the Crew won't have him for the first month of the season, but nothing can be done about that. At least the terms seem reasonable, as well.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Can we count this signing as "stealing a player from the Yankees"? I vote Yes.

I like the signing -- particularly for CF and 3B. Billy will have another stellar year. I would hope none of our position players are traded at this point. Obviously, some SP has to go -- as mentioned earlier, would like to see the move during ST.

The problem with keeping Parra around for Opening Day is you assume you will go 162 games without needing reinforcements.

Let's just use a simple example:

Ned and Doug keep the best 12 pitchers. Parra is kept, McClung is claimed on waivers or dealt.

On 5/1, a pitcher is ineffective or injured. You are forced to bring up a pitcher who is not as good as McClung.

Therefore, you now are playing 5/6th's of the season with a pitcher who was 13th best (or worse).

Sometimes, you need to use the options players have to your advantage. Having Parra as AAA depth is a good thing, and I would not worry about the difference between him and pitcher #13 for a month.

While I agree AAA depth is a good thing, I don't think McClung will necessarily be better than one of the top RPs at Nashville.

Can we count this signing as "stealing a player from the Yankees"? I vote Yes.

I don't think so - they were looking at him in case they could swing a deal for Santana from the Twins (which would obv. involve Melky Cabrera), and have to find a CF, from what I've heard.

A thank you note to Bill Hall:

Man, Bill, we really keep yanking you around. Yet you show class, smile that smile (take that Donald Driver) and work harder than all get out. You are the new number 5, doing whatever the team needs. I hope you mash like all get out back in the infield.

Man-worship aside, we now have one of the guys who hit 4 homers in a game in 2002. That...probably means nothing. I like the deal, I like the numbers and I like what it may do to the lineup. Do we have to get by with a 24 man roster till the 25th? If this has already been answered, happily tell me to shut up.

You can replace a suspended player on the 25 man. He'll be on the "suspended reserve" list or something like that.

TLB, I used McClung as an example because he would never clear waivers and is out of options. DFAing him is the same as knowingly giving him away. I have no problem using those guys with options, like Parra, as depth until the inevitable ineffectiveness/injuries occur.

Nice move to improve the defense and give the Brewers good team speed. It might give the Brewers, however, something of a drug use theme. Every team is implicated and I don't know how four players associated with drugs will rank but the Brewers could earn a nickname if Mota, Turnbow and Gagne are used successively.

Nice move to improve the defense and give the Brewers good team speed. It might give the Brewers, however, something of a drug use theme. Every team is implicated and I don't know how four players associated with drugs will rank but the Brewers could earn a nickname if Mota, Turnbow and Gagne are used successively.

Not really worth thinking about, since no other teams seem to be worrying about "drug users" either.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

A thank you note to Bill Hall:

Man, Bill, we really keep yanking you around. Yet you show class, smile that smile (take that Donald Driver) and work harder than all get out. You are the new number 5, doing whatever the team needs. I hope you mash like all get out back in the infield.

I would like to second this. I really hope we can finally give him a home this year. Billy has been great through all of this...classy guy.

If I had Braun's pee in my fridge I'd tell everybody.

~Nottso

TLB, I used McClung as an example because he would never clear waivers and is out of options. DFAing him is the same as knowingly giving him away. I have no problem using those guys with options, like Parra, as depth until the inevitable ineffectiveness/injuries occur.

Thanks for clarifying. I am of the belief that he might not be good enough to make the bullpen next year anyway.

I think this does more to improve our pitching than any pitching aquisition could have done. Getting more outs from balls in play will alow the starting pitching to go deeper, and save the bullpen.

I'm suprised Cory Hart isn't getting more mention for the #2 spot. He has a pretty good OBA that will likely improve, and he is an outstanding baserunner and efficient basestealer. Putting Harts high OPS in the spot in the lineup that gets the 2nd most ABs helps maximize the impact he has on the teams OPS. Hardy is a terrible choice for the #2 spot, as he has a low OBA and is slow on the bases.

That leaves the #5 spot open. Hall, Hardy, and Cameron all have good power, and 1 of the 3 should be hot at any given time. Simply use the hot hitter to protect Fielder.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

This is a completely logical move that should make the team better while adding a recognizable name to the line up

the brewers have made a lot of low risk moves this offseason,l which i like given their current makeup..

in the past, it seems that the team would have already been made up of has beens, and the team would have been trying to add in guys who could break out and become stars...while this is a fun way to build a club, the situation changes when you already have the stars...this team is adding role players---guys that meet the needs of the team, rather than guys that could become stars...

i like this signing a lot because it is easy to predict the results...cameron has been very consistant in his career, so there's no reason to expect anything less than a slightly above average ops and defense...given that he causes the defense to be improved exponentially and makes the offense slightly better, it's a great deal...

while kenny lofton might have hit a little more, cameron is definitely better defensively...he's also a lot easier to project than any of the 3b options weve looked at...

really, he's the best solution to all the brewers problems wrapped up in one player...i love this signing...the team is definitely better...and it has no long term negative effect...

and the money is about 7 million less than menchkins cost last year, which makes me smile...it's like we got cameron+riske+kendall+torres+mota for menchkins and estrada...how anyone can view that as lateral or bad i don't know...

I really like the move as others were saying just for the fact that Braun is off of third. If Adam Dunn can play left, Ryno will be just fine out there. I can't wait for Spring Training to start.

The only bad thing is that BaseballGuy25 and Gopher74 spent all that time nicely comparing the teams (it did get colorful though) prior to this move, but I think they will have to do it all over again. Baseballguy25 spent his first 25 posts saying the Brewers defense is terrible and haven't done anything to fix that.

The Brewers defense did get much better, and guess what, we still have a ton of pitching depth left. If the Cubs trade for Roberts as previously rumored they will be emptying their cupboard of pitching and will essentially be stuck with Marquis and Dumpster in the #4 and #5 spots with only Kevin Hart in reserve that is somewhat ready. I am not so sure that would be a good move on their part, but the Crew made a low-risk move that definitely improves the club.

I guess it just shows you the value of system-wide depth. I recall last offseason - especially when we got 'stuck' with Graffanino by offering him arbitration - Melvin saying something about how you want to have as many good players as possible. Kind of a 'no duh' point, but a lot of people get caught up in each guy having some pre-defined, set-in-stone role.

For Hart at the #2 spot, I firmly believe he is the ideal 5 hitter (or 4 if Braun goes to #2). His BB rate isn't anything amazing, but the pop in his bat - imo - should go in the middle. Fwiw, I think Cameron could well be a solid #2 man since he can get away from PetCo - his BA & OBP will probably improve by at least 10-15 points. Check out his BB totals & rates - our #1 & 2 hitters could combine for 150 BBs in 2008 if Cam is slotted at #2.

As long as Billy is kept, I'm OK with this deal. I think he's going to have a bounceback season this year.

If Cameron can play up to his norms, the money is actually a steal. With the unpaid suspension, it will be less than $6 million. That said, I'll withhold judgment until I hear that Bill is OK with a move to third.

While I have no concern about the batting order, speed at the top is meaningless, as not much running is done with Braun/Fielder up. I would think Hardy ends up #2 myself.

Speed is always a benefit in terms of baserunning speed/ability, because they need to be able to score when Braun and Fielder don't hit a homer. As far as SB speed, no, it really doesn't matter unless you have a truly phenomenal base stealer ahead of them. Of course, OBP is still the single most important thing in front of those guys.

Thank goodness it was Cameron, instead of some of the guys that were recently mentioned (Gonzo, Green, Feliz, Wilkerson). I think this solidifies our lineup, and improves our defense a lot. He is one of my favorite players to watch, its just too bad we have to wait 25 games to see him play.

I'm kind of disappointed w/ all of the negative reactions I'm seeing on JSonline and ESPN message boards, but I guess its kind of expected. I didn't realize that there were so many Shawn Green fans out there.

I kind of does suck from Bill Halls perspective. Ya know the Brewers keep moving him around because they think they found a player that plays the position better than he does. I have no idea if he thinks like that or not, but it could be a possibility at least. I think Hall would be wise to stick in the infield because no doubt whenever he is up for a new contract he would get more money as an infielder (based upon his current production)

Ya know the Brewers keep moving him around because they think they found a player that plays the position better than he does.

To be objective, they moved him to 3B because he can play it light-years better than Braun, though. Bill Hall has several million reasons why he can be grateful to the Milwaukee Brewers imo, no matter where they move him.

I'm kind of disappointed w/ all of the negative reactions I'm seeing on JSonline and ESPN message boards, but I guess its kind of expected. I didn't realize that there were so many Shawn Green fans out there.

Neither did Shawn Green. Don't worry, yoshii - this can be your safe place!

Archived