Brewer Fanatic

Brewers sign Mike Cameron (1yr/$6.22 mil + 2009 Team Option)

patrickgpe
  • Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply
$6.22 million effectively guaranteed is astonishing. That's a steal and then some.

meh, just about going rate, if Jenkins deal is indicative. 25 game suspension does decrease MC's value, and I really doubt the option gets picked up unless Cameron goes beyond expectations like .290/.370/.500.

DrWood wrote:

meh, just about going rate, if Jenkins deal is indicative. 25 game suspension does decrease MC's value, and I really doubt the option gets picked up unless Cameron goes beyond expectations like .290/.370/.500.

I think there is also a chance the option gets picked up if LaPorta isn't ready. Or even if LaPorta is ready it gives more solid outfield options.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

$6.22 million effectively guaranteed is astonishing. That's a steal and then some.

Jenkins season was gaurenteed multi year and he isn't as valuable as Cameron so don't think it is really going rate. Spin it all you want but no team thinks Jenkins is better than Cameron, Cameron is as good a hitter a better fielder, a better baserunner and plays every day instead of platooning.

Are we really talking about trading Hall yet? Why would you trade a guy coming off a down year? I realize he may not be a 35 home run guy every year, but he's at least somewhere in the middle of his production from each of the last two years. With the lineup set up the way it is, I don't see any reason to trade an undervalued Hall. If you want to get rid of some pitchers, package them for some prospects.

If I had Braun's pee in my fridge I'd tell everybody.

~Nottso

From NorthSideBaseball.com:

Good pickup. Like, seriously good pickup.
nice move by the Brewers improves there defense a ton and gives them some options
very good move by the Brewers - me no likey
I take it that if LaPorta is ready to go next year, they decline the option on Cameron and go with a Braun, Hart, LaPorta outfield? That's kinda scary.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Over/Under on # of pages in this thread is 24.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

All I gotta say is I hope Bill Hall is the kind of guy who will move back to 3b and be the superstud we all know he can be without developing a chip on his shoulder. The upside is that he won't have to make any spectacular leaping catches at the wall that might hurt his ankles...

Thanks for those nsbb quips, sbryl - classic!

I think top to bottom, we have probably the best line up in the NL Central, aside from maybe the Cubs. If Hall bounces back and Weeks picks up where he left off in September, look out.

The Cubs offense can't hang with this bunch. No sir. Your point about our offense being the best in the NL Central is 100% correct. Sweetness!

Well done, Doug & Co. I am not one that's sitting back waiting to hear what big deal is next. This shores up the holes we had - no reason to sell low on Hall now.

The contract that we got Cameron to sign is ridiculous for us! Yeeha!

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

On paper, this is an excellent move on Melvins part. Great price and allows us to move Brauns defensive liabilities to left. Crazy prediction? Watch Hall put up 06 numbers with his move back to third. Just my observation, that move to center just had to have an effect on him last year. This move alone just might send the Crew to the WS. Just feels right.

From NorthSideBaseball.com:

Good pickup. Like, seriously good pickup.
nice move by the Brewers improves there defense a ton and gives them some options
very good move by the Brewers - me no likey
I take it that if LaPorta is ready to go next year, they decline the option on Cameron and go with a Braun, Hart, LaPorta outfield? That's kinda scary.

I just read all that too, I agree with it and I'm surprised there are so many Brewer fans that don't like it. I was thinking the money would be 8-10, I'm thrilled with a grand total of 6 and change. If Laporta is not ready for 09, I don't have a problem with one more year of Cameron even at 10 mil

Call this crazy, but maybe moving back to the infield might help Bill Hall find his offense again. I have a theory that playing outfield weakens the legs and affects your swing because of all the running, especially when you are not naturally conditioned for it.

I think Ryan Braun should also focus on his conditioning and make the necessary adjustments to keep his strength.

I think the Cubs could hang with us if everything goes right for them. Fukudome is really the .375+ OBP guy they are hoping he is, Soto is that .800 OPS C and Pie becomes an .800 OPS CF.

I think you can say with certainty that Fukudome will post an OBP of at least .350 - but those last two, you're counting on big optimism to think that both (heck, or even one) of those will happen.

I was thinking the money would be 8-10, I'm thrilled with a grand total of 6 and change.

My thoughts exactly. While having lunch with the gf, I told her about the signing and said, 'it'll probably be about Gagne's AAV'... Needless to say, super suprised to see the actual number.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Call this crazy, but maybe moving back to the infield might help Bill Hall find his offense again. I have a theory that playing outfield weakens the legs and affects your swing because of all the running, especially when you are not naturally conditioned for it.
I actually thought the same thing, though with different reasoning. Third base is less hard to play than center field, and left field is less hard to play than third base. We're basically giving guys extra comfort zone in the field while improving our defense. That's what a decent every day CF gives this club.

I could also see the Cub's pushing the panic button and throwing in that extra person for Roberts now which is a good thing since I don't think he is a huge upgrade for them over DeRosa... an upgrade but not a huge one if they are giving away all their pitching depth to get him.

I'm not overly excited, but this is a nice signing. The terms of the deal certainly are nice for the Brewers, and it's a heck of a lot better than the Feliz-types who's names have floated around this offseason. Certainly improves the teams' defense by a great deal, and we don't really lose anything offensively from Mench/Jenkins.

The Brewers have certainly made a concerted effort to fix the teams' biggest issues from last year.

I don't get why people are afraid of swapping Braun to the OF and Hall to 3rd. For Hall, he's played there, he played in the IF his whole career until last year, I'm sure he will be just fine there and possibly help his offense being in a more natural spot for him. I believe Braun is just as athletic as Hall, so if we could ask Hall, at an older age, to move to CF then why not Braun to the easiest OF spot? They both played IF up until their switch, but Hall was older and asked to play the toughest OF spot. I really don't think Braun will be any worse than he was at 3rd, and potentially much better.

(Edit: spelling, typed too fast)

Archived