Brewer Fanatic

Brewers sign Mike Cameron (1yr/$6.22 mil + 2009 Team Option)

patrickgpe
  • Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Here's a prediction: Fielder will walk 125 times and not hit more than 30 HR. There is no reason for a right handed pitcher to pitch to him.

Also teams will adjust their rotations to avoid throwing lefties against the Brewers.

Kendall by default is now the best 2 hole hitter on the team.

Teams pitched to Prince even when Estrada was hitting 5th and stinking up the joint, in fact Prince put up great numbers while the human sloth hit 5th and was an out machine.

I think overall a great move, with one year plus option being part of the positive

Lineup wise, I like

1) Weeks

2) Hart

3) Fielder

4) Braun

for the top of order, I'm not a big believer in "protection" thing but I just like the way this shapes up. Not sold on the next part, but I'd say

5) Cameron

6) Hardy

7) Hall

8) Kendall

although I'd see that part of the lineup being somewhat fluid based on who is in a good groove, who gets a day off (ie Cameron out for a game, Hardy Hall bump up one, Gross or Gwynn hit lower)..

Doesn't much matter what order you throw them out there, that's a potent lineup.

Holy buckets.

Formerly JohnStumpyPepys

would belling stop calling him "mark cameron" does he know about baseball?

As much as I do like listening to Mike Belling, that was kind of annoying.

I assume that we'll only be paying Cameron ~ 85% of the announced financial terms of the deal (once they're actually announced), since he'll be suspended for 25 games. I'm also guessing Milwaukee will give TGJr a 1-month tryout in CF while Cameron serves his suspension; I wouldn't be surprised if Gwynn / Gross receive more spot starts than they would normally, given that Cameron is already 35. On the whole, I think there's considerably less risk with Cameron than there would have been for someone like Rolen, and there is definitely a lower acquisition cost....although there is likely lower upside as well.

I gave up on worrying about LaPorta's spot in the lineup right around the time the Brewers declined Jenkins' option (as they clearly meant to give the spot to someone this year). If he's good enough to stick, we'll either find a place for him, or trade him to another team.

I am somewhat worried about Hall re-converting to 3b. That said, it would be hard to get any worse than Braun was in the field last season.

Weeks

Hardy

Braun

Fielder

Hart

Cameron

Hall

Kendall

...that's not a bad lineup. It is a bit too right-handed, but hopefully the productivity of Braun and Hart will ensure Prince gets his chances to hit.

Weeks

Someone

Fielder

Braun

Hart

Other guys

A lineup like that will not see Fielder walked a lot by righties for very long because Braun and Hart both hit righties fine.

They can walk Fielder all they want with Braun hitting behind him.

Here's a prediction: Fielder will walk 125 times and not hit more than 30 HR. There is no reason for a right handed pitcher to pitch to him.

Also teams will adjust their rotations to avoid throwing lefties against the Brewers.

Kendall by default is now the best 2 hole hitter on the team.

So, you're saying that teams were afraid of our one other lefty in our lineup last year? Jenkins did not force teams into pitching to Fielder. In fact, he didn't do much offensivly after April.

I agree with this. I think you're overstating the "lefty effect" JB. Do you think the 2007 version of Jenkins (.255/.319/.471) altered other teams' plans that much, to the point where it will cost Fielder 20+ HR this coming year? I'm with you in that I would have liked to find one more quality lefty bat, especially one that could get on base at a good clip, but I don't think it's going to have that dramatic an effect on the club.

Good signing. If he performs we can keep him an extra year or let him go if LaPorta is ready.

I can't help being a little disappointed as I was looking forward to seeing how much Hall in CF and Braun at 3B could improve. This a much lower risk option for improving our defense.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

The defensive improvement and Kendall over Estrada, should help out the starting pitchers. Lower eras and deeper into games, which helps keep the bullpen fresher.

Also, could we have 4 20-20 guys next year?

Fielder will walk 125 times

That would certainly help the team OBP. Mission accomplished!

Late to the game here, but I like this move a lot, because it addresses the team's single biggest weakness. A one year deal with option also allows for maximum flexibility down the road...just as is the case with Gagne, Kendall, and (in effect at least) Mota and Torres.

As noted, Cameron's numbers have been significantly depressed by his home parks over his career...Petco recently, but also Shea and Safeco. He's a better player than he seems at first glance, and chronically underappreciated because his BA is lowish and he Ks a bit. Great secondary average though, and defense that was as good as it comes back in his prime. He's declining, to be sure, but this still should be an upgrade defensively at two key positions, CF and 3B, and is at worst a push compared to Menchkins from last year.

Mark my words now.....DM is not done yet! We still have way too may pitchers on our squad and many of them are trade bait. DM's going to package one of those P's and Hall to get a 3B. Simple as that. I could see Vargas, Hall and Gwynn are going to be the major players of the trade, maybe a throw in as well....

For those of you that has said this was a bad signing, look at the stats. Melvin's goal was to find someone left handed, and a good OBP. Cameron has a career .341 OBP. That is outstanding. Here is the brewers starters career OBP

C: Kendall: .375
1B: Fielder: .369
2B: Weeks: .357
3B: Hall: .320
SS: Hardy: .321
LF: Braun: .370
CF: Cameron: .341
RF: Hart: .339

Yo\u are looking at a team with 6 guys near or at .340. League average is about .330. Cameron is a gold glover in CF and a great clubhouse guy and veteran. Also he wasnt banned for Steroids but another stimulant. Not only that he played for a crappy hitters park and may hit 25-30 homers in Miller Park. I would give this signing a 9/10.

http://blogs.jsonline.com/brewers/archive/2008/01/11/cameron-deal-in-place-pending-physical.aspx

But I've talked to people familiar with the deal and here's what I know. Cameron will get a $1.25 million signing bonus and a $5 million salary in 2008. But, because he is suspended for the first 25 games of the season for testing positive for a banned stimulant, he won't be paid for those games.

So, instead of the $5 million, Cameron actually will make around $4.22 million in salary. A season is based on 180 days of play and Cameron will miss 28 days ($27,778 per day). Barring postponements, he'll be eligible to play his first game on April 29 in Chicago.

The Brewers hold a $10 million option on Cameron for 2009 with a $750,000 buyout. So, if he plays for them one year, the Brewers' financial commitment will be the $1.25 million signing bonus, $4.22 million in actual pay and the $750,000 buyout, which comes to $6.22 million.

That is a pretty sweet deal for us in my opinion.

Hall, Cappy, and Bush for AROD

Should that be in blue? I think you'd need to throw in either Yo or Braun in that package too. Maybe both...

Yes it was suppose to be in blue (or at least that was the intention) I thought the smiley face afterwards showed that it was a joke)

$6.22 million effectively guaranteed is astonishing. That's a steal and then some.

Edit: The only teensy problem I have with the deal is that we'd have to pick up his option in order to get draft pick compensation. If he's gone after 2008, no draft picks. On the other hand this just reminds me that the Brewers are a competitive enough team that we're able to be worried about compensation for good players. Team Canada ftw.

Archived