Brewer Fanatic

Brewers sign Mike Cameron (1yr/$6.22 mil + 2009 Team Option)

patrickgpe
  • Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I like this one.

It certainly reverses the huge error they made last year in not just moving Braun to the OF in spring training and handing 3B to Hall. Plus, Cameron can still play a little defense, the gains made in that department are huge. Offensively, he's like a prototype Doug Melvin guy - good power, good walk rate, lots of K's. Sounds good to me.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Braun's crappy D last year didn't really affect him. I'm not worried.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I'm slightly above neutral on this, 5 to 4:

PROS

• Braun is off of 3B
  • One year commitment
  • Only costs money
  • Above average bat
  • Above average defense

CONS

• Right handed
  • Lowish OBP
  • Hall showed improvement in CF
  • Perfect move if followed by a Hall or Hardy marque trade for an OBPer+.

It just is so disappointing we couldn't find the right LH OBP 3B out there.

I really had a gut feeling that the names like Cameron, Lofton and Feliz were last resorts. Not surprisingly, I was wrong. I guess this works, but I don't like the fact that he's out the first 25 games of the season. I guess out of all the 3b options out there, Bill Hall was our best choice. Don't disagree with that.

I think everybody should remember that Corey hart was a infielder until 2005. He then moved to the outfield without missing a beat.

Corey carved up third base, maybe even worse than Braun.

Braun should be fine in left, he does have some wheels.

For the 25 game suspension I would still like to see Hall going to third and Braun out to Left. By doing this we don't have a massive switch between 3 different players one one day. So for CF we can have TGJ with Gross filling in or Hart sliding over.

So, please explain to me again why we got rid of Jenkins and we are now replacing him with basically a right handed version of him for probably not much cheaper than Jenkins would have cost us? I'm not thrilled about the move and I'm guessing that by mid-July most fans will be fed up with his .245avg/.320obp.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

So, please explain to me again why we got rid of Jenkins and we are not replacing him with basically a right handed version of him for probably not much cheaper than Jenkins would have cost us? I'm not thrilled about the move and I'm guessing that by mid-July most fans will be fed up with his .245avg/.320obp.

Because Cameron plays CF.

LaPorta-Hart-Braun sounds GREAT to me!!!

He can play center, which Jenkins couldn't. Jenkins had no place on this team if we wanted to move Braun to the outfield. I guess it could have been Hart in CF with Braun and Jenkins, but Cameron out there is a huge upgrade defensively.

I only like this deal if they turn around and trade Hall, packaging him in a Bedard/Mora like-deal. The reason? With the amount of short term contracts were accumulating I'd say that this is a win now strategy. \

I don't think it's "win now", it's plugging a hole while we wait for someone to develop in the minors. I think it's a great idea. I just wish Melvin had been able to sign Suppan to a 2 year contract.

Because Cameron plays CF.

LaPorta-Hart-Braun sounds GREAT to me!!!

Hart can play Center too. Jenkins-Hart-Braun in the OF. Hall at 3rd. I like that better than Cameron-Hart-Braun, with Hall at 3rd simply because of Jenkins is a lefty. LaPorta, Hart, Braun sounds good to me too. But that's 2009. What about 2008?

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

I like the deal. I am thinking this will actually improve our overall team OBP because as someone else previously mentioned outside of Petco he had an OBP of over 350. Our defense is instantly better although I doubt braun will be better than Jenks in LF. Bill Hall is no gold glove at 3rd but he is a million times better than Braun. I still wouldnt mind an Ensberg type or Lofton for that matter. Lofton could open up in CF and then once Cameron is ready could be a 4th outfielder type.

Overall this deal improves the team. I am not to big into strikeouts but if we are essentially replacing Jenkins and Mench with Cameron one would think the K's would stay about the same with the BB's going up a bit due to Mench's previous suckiness

Wow, I'm just shocked at the number of people that not only like this move but think it's a great move. I don't get it. Especially after getting rid of Jenkins. There sure are a lot of rose colored glasses out there. Reminds me a little of all the excitement after the Brewer's signed Hammonds.

So, please explain to me again why we got rid of Jenkins and we are not replacing him with basically a right handed version of him for probably not much cheaper than Jenkins would have cost us? I'm not thrilled about the move and I'm guessing that by mid-July most fans will be fed up with his .245avg/.320obp.

So why would the fans be able to put up with Jenkins putting up those numbers?

So why would the fans be able to put up with Jenkins putting up those numbers?

A) He's a lefty

B) Jenkin's has at least shown in the past that he can put up a .270/.280 average with an over .340 obp. Cameron has rarely put up those numbers in his career.

Archived