Brewer Fanatic

Brewers offseason isn't as bad as everyone is saying

OK, I want to preface this by saying that I don't post on this side of town very often, so my apologies if this have been frequently covered. I just want to put my opinion out there.

I think a major factor that is being overlooked with 2008 Brewers is the development of the players they already have on the roster. All the fans in every major sport are always waiting for these huge blockbuster trades or FA signings and I just don't think it's necessary for the Brewers. Never underestimate youth and development. I think it's fair to say that not one of the Big Six (Fielder-Weeks-Hardy-Braun-Hart-Gallardo) has come close to peaking yet.

I think they are a parallel with the Packers from last season to now. They barely made any moves because they knew what they had, and look what happened. They had faith in their players and their staff to get where they need to be. People were freaking out about the loss of Ahman Green and many people are freaking out about the loss of Cordero. Relax! Have faith in the team ... don't lose sight of the fact that the best players on the Brewers team are still GETTING BETTER! Let the other teams in the division overpay for overrated players. It's just a matter of putting it all together for the Brewers. The talent is there. I know we've been hearing and saying this for years, but I have a good feeling about this year. The core of the team has experience playing together and they've all tasted success.

Now they know what it takes to be in first place at the END of the season, not May-August. The Brewers WILL win the Central this year, no matter what the big writers say.

I believe what is going to be the biggest improvement to a 91 win season has already been done with the addition of Ted Simmons. So many people are impressed with his knowledge it will be great seeing how the young studs take to it and deveolp.

Well I agree with you in theory. I think the Brewers were the favorites to win the division before any moves were made. The fact our young guys got a year of improvement to me put us over the Cubs even though they snuck into 1st at the end of last year. Neither team has had a strong offseason. We made some bullpen moves to offset bullpen losses and signed Kendall who may or may not be an upgrade at C. The Cubs signed Fukudome who may or may not be an upgrade over their RF's last year who posted a .375 OBP and .794 OPS.

I'm sure someone will come and mention pythagorean records but keep in mind ours was thrown way out of whack by the August pitching collapse, a month in which we let in 45 more runs than any other month last year and had a team ERA of 6.04, lost 18 games and lost the division. That is the month that I think goes away with team experience.

We lost Jenkins and Mench but neither player really did much last year so whatever we get to replace them will likely be an upgrade. Last year our LF's hit .261/.318/.453/.771 which is a pretty ugly line with that low OBP. I'm confident that whatever solution we come up with can match that production. Though we might take a hit defensively there.

I still think the two teams are pretty darn evenly matched and the Reds are gonna be better than last year so might sneak into the mix.

Mel,

Excellent post MEL, I think this year the Brewers are primed to win the division, the bullpen WILL be better, the young guys are a year older, we'll have Braun for the whole season, Estrada is gone, Capuano can't be as bad as last year, hopefully Sheets will be on his contract drive BUT the board members are looking (me included) for a deal that separates us from the rest of the division, being Brewer fans you don't want to leave anything to chance, this team tore my heart out last year, just recently put back in, I don't want a repeat performance of AUG & SEPT (unless we win it)http://static.yuku.com//domainskins/bypass/img/smileys/laugh.gif.

If DM could acquire Bedard, Blanton or another #2 type of starter or an excellent corner OF or a bopper at 3b to move Braun to LF this team would be terrific, IMO

GO BREWERS!!

the offseason isn't over yet. there may be an addition even after ST starts, if some team loses a starter and comes calling for one of the brewers pitchers. so, basically we can't judge yet. melvin rebuilt the pen about as well as he could, given the losses, but it remains to be seen whether it will be better than last year. It remains to be seen whether Kendall will be an improvement over Estrada. Jenkins hasn't been replaced, so that's a loss. As far as transactions go, the offseason has been been a scramble to maintain the status quo.

the hope for improvement resides in two factors: 1) the core of the team is young and it is reasonable to expect them to improve; 2) estrada may have hindered the pitchers, and they may improve in his absence. You could always hope for fewer injuries, but the injury bug wasn't really that bad last season; there are always injuries.

Archived