Brewer Fanatic

Buster Olney's "insider" Brewer story

jaybird2001wi
I was on espn.com today and Buster Olney has a new column out titled "Brewers on the upswing." But unfortunately, since it is an insider story, only paid subscribers can read the whole column. If it is allowable, if anyone is a subscriber, can they place the article in here, or maybe some of the highlights and lowlights of the article in this thread? It kind of stinks that they made a lot of articles and even the MLB Trade Rumor mill an insider package the last few years.

I was on espn.com today and Buster Olney has a new column out titled "Brewers on the upswing." But unfortunately, since it is an insider story, only paid subscribers can read the whole column. If it is allowable, if anyone is a subscriber, can they place the article in here, or maybe some of the highlights and lowlights of the article in this thread? It kind of stinks that they made a lot of articles and even the MLB Trade Rumor mill an insider package the last few years.

Please do not place the text of the article here, as that's certainly a copyright violation and the site could be responsible. If someone wants to summarize the article _briefly_, that's ok.

Sorry Brian. What happens on the insider articles is that they put the first two paragraphs, then you gotta pay money to view the rest. As a communications major specializing in journalism, I should have been the one to point out copyright infringement as I did take Law of Mass Communication. Duh at me.

Subscribe to ESPN the magazine and you get to view all that stuff free. One of my goodfriends does and fills me in what goes on with good information. I would not pay for their info because I only would read certain guys for baseball and football.

Apparently the subscription doesn't ever end, either. I started my subscription about 2 1/2 years ago and I still get the magazine and insider stuff. I even tried to contact them about it because I think I closed the credit card that I originally got it from and I don't like cheating, but they haven't responded. It sorta reminds me of that Frasier episode when Marty gets too much money from the ATM and they make it impossible for him to give it back.

Regarding the article, he also mentioned that the styles of Suppan and Capuano, who both obviously struggled last year, will work better with Kendall behind the plate. He mentions that the Brewers are still looking for a bat in Lofton, Cameron, or Gonzales, among others.

Like mentioned earlier, a big reason for Olney's opinion was the lack of production last season from players that are expected to produce. Weeks and Hall are big names there. Braun will be here for a full season. Sheets could make it a full season (crossing fingers).

If I had Braun's pee in my fridge I'd tell everybody.

~Nottso

How will Capuano and Suppan's styles work better with Kendall than they did with Estrada? Don't get me wrong I didn't like Estrada's pitch selection and I doubt Suppan did either seeing as how Miller or Rivera caught him all of September and half of August.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Olney's argument is that Estrada is an offensive-minded catcher (hard to disagree) so he didn't put as much effort into his defense. I think by saying their styles work better he meant that Kendall will actually try to play defense.

~Nottso

Olney's argument is that Estrada is an offensive-minded catcher (hard to disagree) so he didn't put as much effort into his defense. I think by saying their styles work better he meant that Kendall will actually try to play defense.

He also pointed out how Suppan and Cappy are more the analytical type and since Estrada was focused on offensive production he may not have spent the amount of time preparing that Cappy and Soup would have liked from him. At least that is how I took it.

I would think that same mind set as a catcher would extend to all pitchers not just Cappy and Soup. Actually I think it would help the other ptichers more as, like was said, Suppan and Cappy do more preperation they shouldn't rely on their catcher as much as the other pitchers. Unless he is trying to say that the comfort level wasn't there, but again I don't see how that wouldn't extend to the other pitchers as well. Again I am not trying to defend Estrada, just trying to understand the reasoning that he would help only certain pitchers. I guess I would understand more if he had said young pitchers like Villy and Gallardo.

Edit: I always got the feeling Estrada didn't like to challenge hitters. It "seemed" like there were a lot of times our pitchers would get to 2 strikes then walk a guy. I have no statistics to back this up. Just my own personal flawed observations.

I blame Wang.

Yeah, I think areacodes hit it better than I did. Because Suppan and Cappy are more analytical in nature they may have taken more offense to Estrada's lack of effort in preparation. Honestly, if a catcher helps pitchers pitch better, I don't care if he bats .200. With Estrada it just looked like a lack of effort all around last year, and yes I know about the injury thing, but I don't really buy it all that much and I'm not sure why.

~Nottso

Kendall does seem more like a consummate pro than Estrada, no question. His father, Fred, played and he was around the clubhouse his entire life. I can only hope Yo has a breakout of sorts, like Ollie Perez a few years ago, under Kendall's tutelage.

I would think that same mind set as a catcher would extend to all pitchers not just Cappy and Soup.

I think this is all a bit of a reach. I suspect if anything frustrated Cappy and Soup, it would have been the defense behind them. Both Cappy and Soup strike me as guys that conduct themselves professionally regardless of who they are working with.

I suspect Estrada's problems are almost entirely with Yost/Maddux, I'm not sure his teammates had a problem with him.

I would say that Suppan at least had a problem with Estrada. Just to clarify, I was refering to how Estrada's lack of preperation would makes his pitch selection less effective more than how well he got along with anybody.

I blame Wang.

Olney was just on ESPN Radio 1070 in Madison and talked about many of the things he mentioned in his article. He basically said that the Crew overpaid for Riske and Gagne in order to keep their contracts short and he thought that was the smart move. Cameron might fit with them, but he adds to a very right-handed lineup, and there is at least one other team with an offer out to him. Melvin is serious about upgrading the D which is why they are looking so hard at Cameron. Cordero took the extra money with the Reds after some pretty heavy pressure from the union, and he thinks that Sheets will be gone from the Brewers after this year no matter what. If he has a good year, the Crew won't be able to afford him and if he doesn't they won't want to retain him. A decent interview overall.

Cordero took the extra money with the Reds after some pretty heavy pressure from the union
This pisses me off. Good thing we have a union to tell everyone to go play for the Sox and Yankees.

~Nottso

Archived