Brewer Fanatic

Brian Roberts not traded to Cubs: Latest - Dead, according to the O's

aracko

This is from Ken Rosenthal's latest:

"The Padres, currently projecting a platoon of Scott Hairston and Chase Headley in left field, are targeting Cubs outfielder Matt Murton, a player in whom they have had longstanding interest. However, the Cubs might be reluctant to move Murton if they include an outfielder in a deal for Orioles second baseman Brian Roberts. It's even possible that Murton could be in a Roberts deal.

Murton, 26, makes sense for the Padres, considering that the team's two other regular outfielders, Jim Edmonds and Brian Giles, both are 37. The Padres could pursue a veteran free agent such as Luis Gonzalez or Reggie Sanders if they fail to land Murton; they need protection if Giles recovers slowly from microfracture surgery on his right knee.

The Orioles, still looking for a center fielder, shortstop, left-handed reliever and closer, expect to decide by the end of the month whether they will trade Roberts and left-hander Erik Bedard. Don't be surprised if Cubs right-hander Jason Marquis is part of a package for Roberts - the Orioles value his innings, and other clubs also have expressed interest in Marquis since the Cubs' signing of Jon Lieber."

Since most of what's been bandied about is that the 'Bedard to ChC' deal is dead, the talk of Murton to SD is quite intriguing. MLBTraderumors.com's author Tim Dierkes makes this sharp observation:

"Not sure how the teams would match up, unless things expand to include Khalil Greene."

That's a deal that'd get me a tad worried - the concerns over Roberts were way overblown, imo. The Cubs have a gaping, riot-ous hole at SS. Let's hope that's how they head into 2008.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...
Dont understand why the Cubs would want Payton, but hope they move a couple of SPs in this deal. I dont think the Cubs have enough pitching in the starting staff to win the division as is.

The Cubs don't really want Payton, but to make the deal happen they might have to take him. With Murton in the deal, the O's have no need for a vet like Payton on their team. Payton would take Murton's place as 4th or 5th OF on Cubs.

Pie is not going to be in deal either. O's got Adam Jones from Mariners to play CF and the Cubs don't want to deal Pie.

As for starting pitching, the Cubs aren't going to include Zambrano, Hill, or Lilly, and will have enough left from Dempster, Marquis and Lieber even if they trade Marshall and Gallagher, the two names I've heard connected to this deal.

My guess would be its Murton, Cedeno, Marshall and Gallagher for Roberts, Payton, and a low level Oriole prospect. Murton would platoon with Luke Scott. Cedeno would be in the mix to be starting shortstop. Marshall would be in O's rotation and Gallagher could be by midseason.

I love the thought of two of Dempster, Marquis, and Lieber in the Cubs rotation. Any of those guys being your number four is a glaring weakness in my mind. I don't like Roberts in that lineup though.

Just because Cedeno would be in the mix for starting SS for Baltimore doesn't mean he's a decent player or prospect... just that Bal. sucks big-time.

that might mean pie would leave, which would probably be good for the brewers, long term at least.

I couldn't agree more. As much as I'd really hate to see CHC add Roberts, if it meant not facing Pie over the next 10 seasons, I might be for it.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

If the Cubs break camp with Pie in the #8 spot in the lineup, he's going to be Corey Patterson version 2.0. If he isn't hitting in the lineup in front of a decent hitter, pitchers are going to pitch him tough, and get him to chase. I think the Cubs are really rushing him if they think he's their starting CF - he needs another full season in AAA to work on his approach.

He's got a ton of talent, but it's still not that developed yet.

You may like Marquis but he had a 5.73 ERA after the break and his other numbers were rough too. Lieber was hurt at the end of last year and had an ERA of 4.73 when he did pitch. Now I know ERA isnt the only way to judge a pitcher, but both are low strikeout guys who give up a bunch of hits and one is an injury question mark. Add Dempster who is injury prone and back starting after a long time in the pen I think that is a big question mark.

I know our rotation has question marks of its own, but right now I would say their top three is solid but without an Ace (Zambrano is too inconsistant) with a nice 2 and 3 with Lilly and Hill. Both are coming off career years and could continue to improve or the league could catch up with them.

Now I know ERA isnt the only way to judge a pitcher,

Marquis had a FIP of 4.92 last year, so he got lucky by .32, while Lieber's FIP was 3.82, so he was unlucky by .91. Lieber was actually pretty solid last season, though he was healthy for just 78 IP over 12 starts, which itself is a pretty important stat.

Great analogy- Arroyo to Lilly. Lilly's a decent pitcher, but there is no way he's a legitimate number 2 on a contender. I wouldn't mind him in the bottom of the rotation, but he's not a guy they should be relying on. His numbers will probably fall of quite a bit this year.

berniebrewer4life wrote:

That's too bad, i was really hoping to see Rich Hill leave the division.

With our righty heavy lineup the Cubs having Rich Hill is great for us.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Archived