Brewer Fanatic

Brian Roberts not traded to Cubs: Latest - Dead, according to the O's

aracko
I think that this gamble is a reasonable one, if it keeps Theriot off the field.

It certainly is, I was just trying to point out that there is a downside that lowers a bit of the value they get from adding Roberts. Their pitching depth is really ugly now.

I think they'll start Theriot at SS over DeRosa though, so they aren't keeping him off the field.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think that this gamble is a reasonable one, if it keeps Theriot off the field.

It certainly is, I was just trying to point out that there is a downside that lowers a bit of the value they get from adding Roberts. Their pitching depth is really ugly now.

I think they'll start Theriot at SS over DeRosa though, so they aren't keeping him off the field.

I still haven't seen anything official, but I think this move makes the Cubs a bit better, but I think they did lose some pitching depth. We have like eight guys that could start for any team (Sheets, Gallardo, Suppan, Parra, Capuano, Bush, Villaneuva, and Vargas) and the Cubs have like six (Zambrano, Lilly, Hill, Marquis, Dempster and Hart).

If Marquis reverts to his 2006 St. Louis performance, and Dempster who will probably turn out to very average or below average at best as a starter, they only have Kevin Hart in reserve (an unknown commodity yet).

Grant it, the Crew could make a trade to thin some of their depth out, but even if you lose one arm, you still have better options top to bottom in Brewer Blue.

Just think what might happen if Wrigley plays like a pitchers park next year? Lilly, and Marquis might be expensive middle of the road starters (specifically Marquis more back end of the rotation type starter)

As for Cedeno - he can play 2b, SS, and 3b very well. He had a bad year but is expected to hit for very high average and get on base at a good clip. I wish the Brewers had a player like him.

We had a lot of players like him in 2002. He has a lousy OBP. He is basically the Anti-Weeks.

The Cubs gave up a lot to get Roberts, but once again, they have unlimited money to spend. I don't know what this does to DeRosa, who hit a respectabe .792 OPS last season. I don't believe either of them can play SS, so they now have two above average 2B, and Theriot at SS.

Well Roberts is an All-Star and is not too far removed from a .900 OPS. At $4M he is a bargain. As far as DeRosa, I suspect that as Ennder suggests he becomes a 2005-06 version of Bill Hall, or they move him to SS, which he is able to play. He may not be as good defensively as Theriot, but he can hit better.

I still haven't seen anything official, but I think this move makes the Cubs a bit better, but I think they did lose some pitching depth. We have like eight guys that could start for any team (Sheets, Gallardo, Suppan, Parra, Capuano, Bush, Villaneuva, and Vargas) and the Cubs have like six (Zambrano, Lilly, Hill, Marquis, Dempster and Hart).

If Marquis reverts to his 2006 St. Louis performance, and Dempster who will probably turn out to very average or below average at best as a starter, they only have Kevin Hart in reserve (an unknown commodity yet).

Grant it, the Crew could make a trade to thin some of their depth out, but even if you lose one arm, you still have better options top to bottom in Brewer Blue.

Just think what might happen if Wrigley plays like a pitchers park next year? Lilly, and Marquis might be expensive middle of the road starters (specifically Marquis more back end of the rotation type starter)

As for Cedeno - he can play 2b, SS, and 3b very well. He had a bad year but is expected to hit for very high average and get on base at a good clip. I wish the Brewers had a player like him.

We had a lot of players like him in 2002. He has a lousy OBP. He is basically the Anti-Weeks.

The Cubs gave up a lot to get Roberts, but once again, they have unlimited money to spend. I don't know what this does to DeRosa, who hit a respectabe .792 OPS last season. I don't believe either of them can play SS, so they now have two above average 2B, and Theriot at SS.

Well Roberts is an All-Star and is not too far removed from a .900 OPS. At $4M he is a bargain. As far as DeRosa, I suspect that as Ennder suggests he becomes a 2005-06 version of Bill Hall, or they move him to SS, which he is able to play. He may not be as good defensively as Theriot, but he can hit better.

Archived