Brewer Fanatic

a)lofton b)cameron c) none of the above ?

polwonks

how about both? http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

cameron would probably want a 3-4 year contract. that wouldn't be a great idea.

lofton would be a fine idea. even a better idea if you get a rh platoon option to go with him, and move hall to 3b.

shouldn't this be in the transaction forum?

I'm a bigger fan of Cameron than most people, and given his suspension this may be the ideal time to sign him. You'd likely get him cheaper than you normally would.

Here are the reasons.

-He's a very good OF'er. Improves your defense, a major concern for the Milwaukee Brewers.

-His offensive numbers would likely go up having played most of his career in Shea Stadium and Petco Park. I think you can reasonably expect 25 HR's and 25 SB's and maybe a .265/.345 type line.

-His suspension isn't a big deal. 25 games, and we have plenty of options. Hell, we'd be going with them for 162 games if we don't sign anyone, so certainly they're good enough for 25 games.

The downside is that he'll still likely be looking at a teal near 10 million per year. If we could swing a 2 year 16 million dollar deal, I'd be all for it.

And honestly, I'm not against signing two guys, for instance Cameron and Lofton, Cameron for 2 and Lofton for a year, and then packaging maybe Cappy and Hall for a 3rd basemen. I think we're so locked into the current plan which appears to be sign/trade for a 3rd basemen that I don't know if that would even be considered, but it seems like it may be the best possible plan.

If we get 20something homers out of Cameron plus great defense for 8+ million, will someone please inform me why we got rid of Jenks.

I vote "meh".

A-Because Cameron's "great defense" comes from CF, not LF making him a far more valuable defensive player.

B-Cameron's likely(IMO) to hit closer to 30 than 20 over a full season since he's hit 43 the last two years playing in Petco park, the biggest pitchers park in the league.

C-He's a far bigger threat on the base path's.

He's basically an upgrade, even if it's only a slight one, to Jenks in every aspect.

I've always been a fan of Mike Cameron, but I'd be afraid of him already having peaked. He'll be 35 this season, and he had a career year two years ago that I don't think he'd match now regardless of whether he got out of Petco or not (.268/.355/.482, 34 2B, 9 3B, 22 HR, 25 SB).

Is he better than Hall in CF defensively? Yeah, but I think Billy can put up similar numbers given a healthy year. I'd take the money that would be used on Lofton or Cameron and see if Morgan Ensberg has anything left..at the very least you'd get good defense at 3B and you'd be moving Braun out if the infield. Then again, I don't want this to turn into another 3B/LF thread. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

Lofton I'd be afraid to give anything more than 1 year. He's got to fall off at some point, and I would hate for it to be at the Brewers' expense. Who knows, if he's decent enough maybe you could trade him at the deadline for a defensive 3B or bullpen help.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

Brewers showing interest in Cameron

By Tom Haudricourt
Wednesday, Jan 9 2008, 08:17 PM

Though it seems to make little sense on the surface, a source confirmed to me this evening that the Brewers are showing interest in signing free agent centerfielder Mike Cameron.

The Brewers supposedly are looking for a left-handed hitting leftfielder. Cameron is a right-handed hitting centerfielder.

Cameron also has been suspended for the first 25 games of the 2008 season for testing positive for a banned stimulant at the end of last season. To draw a 25-game suspension for using stimulants, a player has to test positive twice.

Pursuing Cameron could mean the Brewers are planning to move Bill Hall from center field to third base and Ryan Braun from third to left. General manager Doug Melvin, who has not returned telephone calls, has been looking at both third basemen and leftfielders this off-season.

Cameron, 35, batted .242 with 21 home runs and 78 RBI in 151 games with San Diego last season. His on-base percentage was low -- .328 -- again going against what the Brewers have said they are looking for this winter.

Add it all up -- right-handed hitter, a centerfielder, and a player who will have to sit out the first month -- and it all seems very curious. But I trust the source I talked to that the Brewers are showing serious interest in Cameron.

Link

Going for Mike Cameron defies logic in about every possible way.

- high Ks

- lower OBP

- bats RH

- plays mainly CF

Please, if they're looking at moving Hall &/or Braun around, get Lofton for CF!

- many fewer Ks

- much better OBP

- bats LF

- better speed than Cameron, too

- much more postseason experience

- not suspended the first month of the season

The thought of Mike Cameron as the Brewers' preferred target and wearing a Brewers uniform onto the final roster makes me wretch.

I dunno, Cameron the past 3 years has had 6.1, 6.2 and 5.1 RC/G. Lofton has posted 6.9, 5.2 and 5.8. Cameron is as good a hitter as Lofton, he also can play every day which Lofton cannot. He is also a better fielder than Lofton and those numbers were in extreme pitcher parks for Cameron. Not to mention Cameron is younger which does matter. If money were not an object I'd go with Cameron almost for sure, but money is an object so Lofton works too.

I'll retract my statement about Mike Cameron in a Brewers uniform making me wretch IF (big IF) Melvin has a plan cooked up and comes to fruition, the net of which creates an overall improvement of the team without creating bigger holes or weaknesses than we presently have. Tom Haudricourt is wondering if that's what might be going on...

latest blog LINK

I still prefer Lofton over Cameron, but this encourages some interesting ideas.

I would only give each player a one year deal. I think Cameron's suspension proves that he's attempting to circumvent the "twighlight of his career" (though stimulants are not as big a PED as HGH, unless it's Raines' stimulant of choice). As for Lofton, I could be wrong but I think he could be past his prime. So....C.

C.

Cameron? others have stated all of the reasons why aquiring doesn't make sense.

Lofton? pretty much the same.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Has Melvin's obsession with Canadians and ex-Rangers shifted to players linked the PED's? Are Rafael Palmeiro and Alex Sanchez available?

Why? Because he signed Gange before the report came out, and now because he's interested in a player who took a supplement that had a banned stimulant in it?

I'd hardly call that an "obsession". This is very similar to the Turnbow situation in that people who just don't know the facts seem to think that he took Steroids, and it's simply not the case in either situation, and I'm sure you were joking, obviously there was suppose to be some truth in what you said.

Lofton can't play CF anymore regularly with any effectiveness. He'd likely be the worst regular CF in baseball defensively. I'd vastly prefer Rolen over any other widely publicized options. If I had to choose between Cameron and Lofton, it is Cameron by a long shot.

where did you get that? he was playing lf in cleveland because they weren't going to displace Grady Sizemore out of CF for a rental player.

Lofton's RZR in Texas was bad. He's not a CF anymore.
I believe Lofton can still play CF. But he isn't good enough (or young enough) to move Bill Hall.

So signing Lofton would have to be as a backup CF or platoon corner OF.

Lofton = Back-up

Cameron = Starter

Archived