Brewer Fanatic

how long will the Brewers window be open?

jason21nl

I can't believe this joke hasn't been made...

how long will the Brewers window be open?

Until Gord lays off the bean burritos! *rimshot*

But seriously, as long as Attanasio keeps showing an urge to push the payroll forward and as long as Team Canada (not you) and Jack Z. are in control, they'll have a chance to be good.

agreed, payroll and the farm system are the real keys to keeping the Brewers competitive. MA has already shown that he'll spend the money, but reasonably. plus Milwaukee is a relative value cost-wise, so i can see some room for ticket prices to go up and more revenue brought in (not to mention playoff appearances).

sure the farm system doesn't have a lot of AAA depth, but i don't see players like Fielder let go for only draft picks, that if DM decides not to resign them, they'd be traded for some boku prospects and we'd have that up and down to some degree like Oakland and Florida. as long as JZ is picking position players in the first round and not pitchers i'm pretty happy with the drafting.

I think their best chance of winning is 2008. I wouldn't be surprised if the team is going overbudget this year, because this is the last year they are guaranteed to have Sheets and much of their young talent is now in their prime, or very close to it. Beyond that, I would say the 4 years they are guaranteed to have Fielder. It's tough to predict after that. Who could have thought that the Tigers would go from 43 wins to the WS in 3 years?

I think the window for being very good will be at least 5 years. I think our payroll will continue to climb, and we will be able to retain most or enough of our players to stay good. The guys we will not retain will be flipped for multiple good players.

5 years seems tough to me. We only know a handful of players that we can say with some confidence are going to be on that team: Gallardo, Villenueva, Parra, Braun, LaPorta. After that we just don't have enough info on Gamel, Jeffress, etc.

Yeah, but its not like were going to lose everybody we have now. I think they will be able to keep most of the core, Prince, Rickie, JJ, Hart and Braun. Its not like were going to lose everybody. If we go to the playoffs for a couple of years, I think revenue will be enough to resign players, and remain active in free agency. We also have 6 draft picks in the top 60 of the draft this year, and Jack Z. So that helps. I'm guessing at least 5 years.

I think they will be able to keep most of the core, Prince, Rickie, JJ, Hart and Braun.

And That is correct. As long as Team Canada and Mark A. work towards building a farm system and spending to stay competitive, the Brewers will be.

They won't be able to keep their entire core together. And in 5 years many/most of our current players will be gone. However, you guys seem to be forgetting we aren't going to lose Prince without getting anything in return! (See the Cabrera trade)

As long as we draft well and are able to keep high quality players in the pipeline, we will be competitive.

" However, you guys seem to be forgetting we aren't going to lose Prince without getting anything in return! "

I'm not forgetting anything. Teams that trade away star players usually do so when they aren't good at the time. Prospects that are received in return are rarely as individually good as the player traded away, and collectively aren't guaranteed to pan out. If the Brewers trade Fielder after 3 more years, it probably means that they won't be in contention that year, and it will probably be a year or longer from then that the returns are realized.

Archived