Brewer Fanatic

Is there a way to get an auto authenticated after it was signed?

And That
I'm not into the autograph scene... I have a football that Favre autographed back in the preseason of '92. Since he was just kind of another guy at that point and I was 11 (not to mention at that point having incorrectly prognosticated his HOF career in my head), I didn't get any sort of authentication on the ball. Is there any way to get it authenticated post-signing? The ball has been laying around in various closets since then (was even played catch with a few times), but I'd like to get a case for it so I can pass it on (as it were). So if it's in a case, I'd like something saying that Favre actually signed it. Is this possible?

I can't do it tonight, but I'll try and get at it tomorrow.

The ball is actually sort of neat... the football itself is from the 60's or 70's. The ball also has four other signatures - Steve Avery (the FB, not the pitcher), Marcus Wilson, Walter Dean and Greg Bell. Those four autos occur on a different quarter of the ball than the Favre, however. Favre's autograph doesn't look too much different from more recent ones I've seen, though it looks more like a signature than an autograph. You can almost make out all the letters of his name.

I got the autograph on a whim because he was the shortest line during the end of the '92 fanfest before the intrasquad scrimmage. I don't collect autographs, but I appreciate the ones I do have, because I have neat stories behind all of them. (At least I think they are neat.)

Favre is the one autograph that I want more than anyone else. You have to be very lucky to get, in the right place at the right time, or spend some money for it. I haven't been at the right place yet, and I can't afford to spend that much money on an autograph.

During the Dallas game I think it was they showed Favre signing before the game and one of the announcers said "How many autographs do you think Brett signs per week?" and I remember thinking to myself "probably not as many as you think."

and that, if you really want to pay for it, you can get it authenticated by a third party authenticator, the biggest one is psa/dna, but it is very expensive. Plus I think they will grade the ball too, and having those other guys on it wouldn't score well. Not that you care about the worth, nor should you, but they will make the quality of the ball look worse because other signatures are on it, does that make sense?

here is the website if you really want, there is also global authentication, but you could probably just use what Jason posted:

http://www.psadna.com/

Not really on topic, but if you go to Favre's official autograph site, his 8x10 photos are like $115 and the 16x20 photos are only like $150. I know it's not cheap, but I'm surprised the gap between the two is so small. Most other places I see 16x20s of Favre, it's usually around $300.

When JFK was campaigning in Wisconsin during his presidential run, my grandmother ran into him in Milwaukee and he autographed one of his campaign brochure for her. I now have that brochure- and was also looking into having PSA/DNA authenticate it.

I guess I am just not to thrilled at the idea of shipping it off. In addition, I don't really plan on selling it - so the authentication isn't that important to me. I mean, I know it is real.

I can't think of any reason that I'd have an autograph authenticated unless I personally was going to sell it within the next year. An autograph with authentication will almost always sell for more than one without authentication--but more than the authentication itself, I'd invest in preservation (protection against UV light, unnecessary handling, humidity).

That said, you asked about authenticating. Some authenticators are good, while others are not.

PSA/DNA, James Spence, Justin Priddy, Richard Simon and Mike Gutierrez are pretty highly respected. They sometimes make mistakes, but the hobby generally accepts their opinions.

STAT Authentic, Christopher Morales, and others who claim to be "forensic authenticators" are less respected, and their stuff generally gets less at auction.

Are the cases mlb balls come with UV protected (I doubt it)? I f not, does anybody know anyone who would have UV protected cases?

Jeff Sports @ Mayfair Mall also sells the UV cases for $3.50 if you live near there.

One Stop Shop For Cell Phone Accessories. Like US On Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/MR-Wireless/233579846693356

Archived