Brewer Fanatic

Cirillo will not be here next season

patrickgpe

It really does make sense. Dillon at this point has got to be the better fit since he can play outfield, etc. Cirillo was a great guy, and his place in Brewer history is, and should remain, history. I hope he sticks somewhere else.

I think this really cements the fact that Joe Dillon is going to be a very important part of this club this season. Not only is he going to have to be the solid bench player he was at the end of last year (he doesn't have to hit .340) but as of now he's probably platooning with Gabe Gross as a starter in LF.

This also verifies the Brewers are absolutely not going to lie dormant until spring training. Melvin obviously wants Dillon in that Cirillo/Graffy role, so no doubt he plans on acquiring a LF/3B. I mean, everyone knew already but I guess this is another strong sign.

As for Cirillo, he's my favorite player - I wish there was a fit for him.

I think Melvin will keep pushing hard for a full time 3B and if nothing pans out he'll sign a Feliz, Wilkerson, Lofton etc type player as a stop gap to add depth to OF/3B.

I wouldn't mind seeing Cameron in CF, Hall at 3B and Braun in LF but I'm still not convinced they'd be willing to move Hall to 3B.

The only news on this front, imo, is that Dillon will not have a chance to start to 3B this year.

I was kind of hoping that they might give Dillon a chance with Counsell and Cirillo as back-ups. It looks very likely that Braun will start the season as the 3B.

D'oh!

The only news on this front, imo, is that Dillon will not have a chance to start to 3B this year.

Silver linings. If Dillon was the other option at 3B, I'd take Braun. I think there'll be someone else, though, the only goal the organization seems to have at this point is finding someone to play 3B so they can move Braun.

I'm starting to wonder about Ensberg - he fits the bill of what DM & Co. seek (save being a lefty) so well, and would be relatively cheap, yet he's obviously still a FA. Do teams have serious concerns about his abilities going forward? His numbers in SD in 2007 basically fell right in line with his career norms (esp. BB/K rate).
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

agreed, no real reason to have him as a Brewer once you take sentimentality out of it. Still, I hope he hooks up with an NL team in 08 so I can be a part of the standing ovation when he steps to the plate at Miller Park.

I wish there were a way to get Jeff Cirillo and Bob Uecker together in a room and bottle their combined awesomeness.

I hope this doesn't get me kicked off the board, but maybe we could get Helms to be a defensive replacement for Braun.
I couldn't agree more with this comment -- sign me up. However, I am a big Wes fan, so my opinion might be a little biased.

I hope this doesn't get me kicked off the board, but maybe we could get Helms to be a defensive replacement for Braun.
I couldn't agree more with this comment -- sign me up. However, I am a big Wes fan, so my opinion might be a little biased.

I, to this day, am confused and embarrased that Wes Helms was dogged in Milwaukee as badly as he was. The guy wasn't a clubhouse cancer or a problem player. He busted his ass every day, spent his extra time in the batting cage, and worked hard for us. He had by far his best season with us. And even when he was booed, he never got a bad attitude about it or said that he wanted to leave Milwaukee.

I know a lot of us were disappointed that Helms wasn't as good as we had hoped, but he didn't deserve the treatment he got here.

That being said, let's please remember that Helms is about as equally awful defensively as Braun, so that doesn't really solve the problem.

Archived