Brewer Fanatic

Outside of the Box: Willy Aybar

Willy Aybar - (career stats) .292 .387 .416 .803 (age 23) Reason available - Chipper Jones.

He's young and seems to be a pretty solid offensive and defensive player. He is coming off of an injury, that said he probably won't be super cheap. But he could be a long term answer at 3B, a guy who can play solid defense and get on-base. A solid #2 hitter to slot into our lineup for the next 5 years.

Would offering them Gwynn and LaPorta be enough for Aybar? More? Less?

Lineup: (with 1-7 being here for 3 years or more)

Weeks

Aybar

Braun

Fielder

Hart

Hall

Hardy

Kendell

Willy Aybar - (career stats) .292 .387 .416 .803 (age 23) Reason available - Chipper Jones.

He's young and seems to be a pretty solid offensive and defensive player. He is coming off of an injury, that said he probably won't be super cheap. But he could be a long term answer at 3B, a guy who can play solid defense and get on-base. A solid #2 hitter to slot into our lineup for the next 5 years.

Lineup: (with 1-7 being here for 3 years or more)

Weeks

Aybar

Braun

Fielder

Hart

Hall

Hardy

Kendell

First Chipper is at the end of his career and having issues staying on the field for his team.

Second I would never give up Laporte for Aybar as third Aybar is over rated as a prospect..

1. Chipper had an OPS over 1.000 last season. He also played in over 130 games. He's not playing like a guy at the end of his career.

2. You got to give to get, maybe LaPorta is too much, but if Braun gets moved to the OF, he's a prospect without a position (he also won't be helping next season).

3. A career OPS over .800, and an OBP of .387 in three seasons is hardly over rated., especially when you will only be 23 years old going into the upcoming season. Those are solid numbers for such a young player, and he should get better as he nears his prime.

What am I missing here?

I like the thought, but I think you're overpaying. I don't know that we're a good match, but given the Braves lust for "toolsy" players, Brewers might interest them a bit. Of course, he'd be just a part of the deal, but as part of it.

First Chipper is at the end of his career and having issues staying on the field for his team.

That's a touch overstated. Chipper's had some injury issues, but nothing has suggested that he's nearing the end OTHER than his decreased playing time. His production certainly hasn't dropped as he's still one of the games best hitters.

That brings up another thought I had. How close is Chipper to the HOF? He's 35 years old, and near 400 HR's. If he gets 450 with his other numbers, does he get in? 450 seems like a given. Does he have to crack 500?

1. Chipper had an OPS over 1.000 last season. He also played in over 130 games. He's not playing like a guy at the end of his career.

2. You got to give to get, maybe LaPorta is too much, but if Braun gets moved to the OF, he's a prospect without a position (he also won't be helping next season).

3. A career OPS over .800, and an OBP of .387 in three seasons is hardly over rated., especially when you will only be 23 years old going into the upcoming season. Those are solid numbers for such a young player, and he should get better as he nears his prime.

What am I missing here?

Nothing, it's a very good idea.

Unlike most idea's, he's a guy that you can actually build with. He's young, cheap, very talented. Poised potentially for a big breakout this year.

And you're right. Chipper's certainly not nearing the end. I'd appear he's still got several years left at a high level. The question is, what would the Braves want? With Hampton a huge question mark(which is an understatement), would Capuano be enough to entice them? Doubtful with Glavine already in the rotation, but maybe then Cappy and Esobar, a player who seems to also fit the Braves "type". Or as I said, Brewers.

One thing that would seem to work in our favor, this new GM doesn't seem to be as good as his predecessor.

2007 was a bad year for Aybar. He started it off with a "substance abuse" problem in April prompting the Braves to suspend him. He was in rehab until August. A few weeks after that while preparing for a minor league assignment he fractured his hamate bone in his right hand, ending his season.

I would not be against it as he has a lot of ability but he is no sure thing next year. He would certainly be a buy-low type at this point.

The Braves' website mailbag discusses Aybar's need for some time in the minors to shake the rust off. Not to say he couldn't step in and do the job well, but it's perhaps more of a question mark than some other options.

I'd have more confidence in the Brewers' after a trade for Brandon Inge (durable and reasonably reliable) than after one for Aybar.

Well they can afford to have him "shake off the rust" because they don't need him. It isn't like he's going to force Chipper off of third, even if he's healthy.

The substance abuse and hamate makes him just that much more available. He may start off a little rusty on the offensive side, but he should be solid defensively as he shakes off that rust. The guy has shown that he can take a walk, something we need. At this point, toss Capuano and Gwynn at them, and maybe they'll bite.

I think Willy Aybar is a fine idea, and IMO a much better option than the likes of Pedro Feliz, Joe Crede and Brandon Inge. There is some risk involved, but the guy is still plenty young, and if the Braves have indeed soured on him I would like to see the Brewers sneak in and try to make something happen.

Tony Gwynn may be a good starting point, but I don't even think you need to add a prospect along the lines of LaPorta (who you couldn't trade for another few weeks even if you wanted to). The Braves originally drafted Gwynn out of high school, and they have somewhat of a need for a CF, even if it is as more of a stopgap.

strawbossisevil, your avatar is messed up.

I guess the age and inexperience concerns me. The Brewers would have a starting lineup with ages of 25, 25, 24, 24, 26, 28, 25 and 33. There's something I like about just going with young players each of which, for the most part, have two or three years of major league experience. But there's also something within me that believes that last 3B/LF hole needs to be filled with more of a veteran presence, whether or not the importance of this can be proven statistically.

I see that Atlanta has a need for some centerfield and, possibly, starting pitching depth with the injury risk starters set in their rotation. And dealing Gwynn with Vargas or Capuano might get the deal done, but can you really see the Braves going with Gwynn as their starter...even for this year or part of this year?

atlanta's the kind of place that would love TGJ...

broken hamate's are onl second to slap tear's in the world of "uh-oh" injuries to me...i want no part of that

besides, the braves best talent is trading overrated prospects...they almost nevr trade anone that works out initially

First the new GM of Atlanta still has the OLD GM looking over his shoulder so thats not going to be a factor at all......(since the OLD GM is his BOSS)

Next if Braun is moved to the OF...then yes Laporta does still have a spot for 2009... its called Hall gets traded after a nice rebound in 2008 and Hart takes over Center, with Braun and laporta at the Corners

I see Aybar struggling big time in 2008 at the plate and I dont think he would be a good fit....

also Atlanta would not need Gwynn they top CF prospect is a year away...and they will just a use a stop gap in Center until he is ready... so trading for a 4th or 5th OFer and a Pitcher at his all time low for value will not get it done.

Yes LaPorta has a spot in 2009. He'll be enjoying his time in Nashville. LaPorta has yet to hit AA. Putting him in Milwaukee or holding a position for him is just foolish.

I agree. We shouldn't expect prospects to advance throught the system as fast as Braun did. I still think Braun would have been better served with one more full year at AAA. It doesn't hurt to keep our prospects at each level for a year.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I agree. We shouldn't expect prospects to advance throught the system as fast as Braun did. I still think Braun would have been better served with one more full year at AAA. It doesn't hurt to keep our prospects at each level for a year.

No, but it doesn't always help either. LaPorta was the most MLB ready bat in the draft. I don't see why we'd need to keep him in the minors that long.

And obviously Braun's defense could have used work, but when a guy has a historic rookie season with the bat, it's awfully tough to argue that he should have stayed in the minors for another year.

It's possible LaPorta struggles a bit, but if he progresses like the organization thinks he's going to, and like most scouts think he will, then he very likely will be our opening day LF'er. I don't now though that our moves right now should hinge on that however, so I do agree with that part of it. We can make room to accommodate him at a later time, moving Braun to RF and then trading Hall, whatever the case may be.

I think he would be a very solid pick up and allow us to move braun to LF. But how exactly good is he defensively? He also was with the dodgers in his early years so he hasn't been with the Braves very long and is blocked by Chipper.

Those who say Chipper is at the end of his career are just foolish. Look at his numbers.

• 2 weeks later...
Who are the other AAA 3Bmen who are blocked at the major league level? There's gotta be a few, right? Lets go after one.

The one that I would like us to go after is Ian Stewart from the Rockies. His prospect status has dulled a little and he would be a nice fit (lefty)-IMO.

Who are the other AAA 3Bmen who are blocked at the major league level? There's gotta be a few, right? Lets go after one.
The one that I would like us to go after is Ian Stewart from the Rockies. His prospect status has dulled a little and he would be a nice fit (lefty)-IMO.

other posters and I have suggested Stewart as an option. I don't know where you get that his prospect status has dulled.

other posters and I have suggested Stewart as an option. I don't know where you get that his prospect status has dulled.

Maybe dulled was the wrong way to phrase it. After tearing up A ball three years ago, he has had a couple of years with fairly pedestrian numbers in hitter friendly environments (A ball again and AA last year). Also in a very brief appearance last year(MLB) he didn't do much (around .200 and poor plate discipline). I'm sure they still like him a whole lot(as do I ), but I bet we could get him for the right package of arms.

Maybe dulled was the wrong way to phrase it. After tearing up A ball three years ago, he has had a couple of years with fairly pedestrian numbers in hitter friendly environments (A ball again and AA last year). Also in a very brief appearance last year(MLB) he didn't do much (around .200 and poor plate discipline). I'm sure they still like him a whole lot(as do I ), but I bet we could get him for the right package of arms.

Doubtful. Unless that package were to include Gallardo/Parra or Villanueva+, I don't think we can get Ian Stewart.

He's still their second rated prospect behind Franklin Morales in one of the top 3 farm systems in all of baseball and likely a top 10-15 prospect in the game, ahead of where Ryan Braun was coming into last season. I don't think that he's any less of a prospect now then he has been. He's still a left handed Power hitting 3rd basemen who put up very good numbers in AAA.

Archived