Brewer Fanatic

Spring Training Invitees: Latest -- RHP Scott Cassidy Retires

brewerjamie15
One of things I like is when teams force players to be competitive. I look at this signing as some more competition. Letting the back up guys know, "hey, you gotta perform at a higher level. We're serious here about winning." I like the message; I like the option, but I agree given Counsell's contract he doesn't make the team.

He can really provide some nice insurance/depth at AAA. This is solid, for both what Tbadder mentions (competition), and just plain old depth. He won't be 'blocking' anyone if he gets full-time PT at Nashville, right? Not that they'd block any prospect with a backup like Nunez, but I'm still wondering...
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Per a Rob Neyer blog entry: http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?name=neyer_rob

"At the risk of sounding unkind, Nunez has absolutely no business playing in the major leagues. He's a sort of fluke, and someday students of baseball history will spend many hours trying to understand how he played more than 1,000 games at the highest level of professional baseball."

in other words, Mr. Neyer, there is still a place in baseball for the Mark Brouhard's and Randy Ready's of THIS generation. There always will be scrubs in the majors because there just aren't quite enough of the good players.

I remember studying stats on the back of baseball cards in my youth and wondering, "what the heck is THIS guy doing in the majors?" Well, it still happens today because they are necessary. Just like nerds in society. Or whatever other cliche you want to come up with.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

I want to know how I can get that job with those (lack of) skills.

The only thing I see Nunez giving us is depth for intersquad games. And to give our AAA guys a day off.

The poster previously known as Robin19, now @RFCoder

EA Sports...It's in the game...until we arbitrarily decide to shut off the server.

He had a good year filling in for Rolen in '05 (when he signed as a STI), and parlayed that into a deal. Obviously he was a product of that great line-up (healthy Edmonds, Pujuls, Sanders, Walker) and played sound defense.

Maybe this line-up and the STI and minor league contract can help him replicate his '05.

• 1 month later...
Brewer Fanatic Staff

From Tom at the JS:

Non-roster pitcher Scott Cassidy announced his retirement. Cassidy had pitched twice in exhibition play, allowing five hits and five runs (four earned) in 1 1/3 innings (27.00). Opponents batted .556 against him in those brief outings.

With RHP Mike DiFelice (knee) re-assigned to minor league camp, there's only seven non-roster invitees now.

I would much rather see a prospect get his spot. Terrible idea to invite him.

Terrible idea? To invite a guy who's a non-roster invitee on a non-guaranteed contract? Is it possible for someone in that scenario to be a "terrible idea"?

Archived