Brewer Fanatic

Spring Training Invitees: Latest -- RHP Scott Cassidy Retires

brewerjamie15

BREWERS INVITE NIX AND BRAY TO MAJOR LEAGUE SPRING TRAINING

MILWAUKEE, Wis. - The Milwaukee Brewers today added OF Laynce Nix and RHP Stephen Bray as non-roster invitees to Major League spring training camp, it was announced by Brewers Executive Vice President and General Manager Doug Melvin.

Nix, 27, began the 2007 season on the disabled list with a strained right oblique. He appeared in four games on rehab assignment with Double-A Huntsville. He spent most of the season with Triple-A Nashville, hitting .268 with 24 HR and 74 RBI in 95 games. Nix was recalled by the Brewers on September 10 and appeared in 10 games off the bench.

Bray, 27, spent the entire 2007 season with Triple-A Nashville, posting a 5-2 record alongside a 1.62 ERA in 42 appearances, including three starts. Bray also picked up one save and was named to the Pacific Coast League All-Star Team.

Nix and Bray join RHP Scott Cassidy, RHP Mark DiFelice, LHP Chris Narveson and INF Ozzie Chavez, who have all been invited to Major League Camp as non-roster invitees.

#30#

-I used to have a neat-o signature, but it got erased.

There's been worse utility guys in the big leagues than Chavez. He's pretty sound defensively, didn't put up terrible AAA numbers, and he's swinging a decent bat in winter ball: .281/.360/.371 plus he's still only 24.

If a middle infielder goes down, it's between Chavez and Escobar as to who gets the call. Escobar might be a little too green so it's nice having Chavez, especially with the departure of Crabbe.

If any of these guys makes the team what do you think it will mean?

Bray. He deserved a September call up last year, but hopefully he'll prove to the big league club he belongs. I know there are questions on how his stuff factors in at the MLB level, but I think the way he produced last year he deserved a shot. Good luck Steve.

There is no rational reason for it but I always have been facinated by Nix. He had some potential but never seemed to stay healthy enough when he got a chance. His AAA numbers aren't that good but better than Gwynn's. I still think he could be ok as a 5th outfielder. He is good defensively and has some power. But like I said I have no sound reason to think he can help. I just do.
There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Chavez is there as the proverbial camp body. Counsell and Hardy have nothing to prove, so to keep Hardy and Counsell from getting worn out or hurt they need someone to eat innings at short during spring training.

I've hoped the last two years that Bray would get a shot. He may not have the best stuff, but the bottom line is do you get guys out. Let him rise until he fails.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Bray is my man to make the club. LIke people said, he should have gotten a call up last year. The guy pitched good against lefties and righties last year (.220 BA vs lefites, .209 vs righties, .635/.534 OPS). He's produced - and maybe he's just a AAAA guy, but he deserves a chance. I hope he gets one - and I bet he can make it. I have no evidence other than his numbers the past couple of years - just one of those things.

It's up in the air whether Bray can earn an actual job in the majors. If the season started right now, the accquisitions accumulated for the Bullpen would probably shove him back down. Then again, it's two months to Spring Training, and a whole month of that before the regular season. Plenty of time for Bray to prove his stuff, or for his competition to falter.

No question he's producing at the AAAA+ level though- he's too high for AAA and it's unknown how he'll do above that.

• 2 weeks later...

OUTFIELDER MATT LAPORTA INVITED TO MAJOR LEAGUE SPRING TRAINING CAMP

MILWAUKEE - The Milwaukee Brewers today added outfielder

Matt LaPorta as a non-roster invitee to Major League spring training

camp. LaPorta will be available today at a press conference at Miller

Park beginning at 4:30pm in the media interview room.

LaPorta, 23, was selected by Milwaukee in the first round

(seventh overall) of the 2007 First-Year Player Draft. He combined to

play 30 games in his first professional season between Rookie Helena

(7g) and Class-A West Virginia (23g), batting .304 with 12 home runs and

31 RBI. He ended the season on a 14-game hitting streak, batting .358

(19-for-53) with 8 home runs and 20 RBI during the streak.

LaPorta, who enters the 2008 season as the top prospect in

the Brewers organization according to Baseball America, also

participated in the Arizona Fall League. He batted .241 with 6 home

runs and 22 RBI in 30 games with the Mesa Solar Sox. He tied for the

league lead in homers.

LaPorta joins RHP Steve Bray, RHP Scott Cassidy, RHP Mark

DiFelice, LHP Chris Narveson, C Andy Bouchie, INF Ozzie Chavez and OF

Laynce Nix, who have all been invited to Major League camp as non-roster

invitees for 2008.

-I used to have a neat-o signature, but it got erased.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, there are certainly worse options for a back-up middle infielder out there, I suppose. I guess what scares me is the idea that Nunez will be treated as a new toy by Yost, and get the majority of the pinch hit at bats. I guess he is solid on defense, though.

I have a hard time unrstanding what Nunez brings to the table that Ozzie Chavez doesn't/couldn't. Both are skinny, no-hit, solid fielding middle infielders. I wonder if this hurts Vinny Rottino's chances of making the club?

I replied to the other nunez thread, but it was closed before I submitted it. Nunez IS another hurdle to the increasingly less likely major league career of vinny rottino. nunez has proven that he can at least surpass the mendoza line consistently--Chavez hasn't proven that he can do that in the majors. I don't know if Chavez has gotten much time at third, either.

nunez is a nice guy to have on a roster, but much less desirable for a team that already has Craig Counsell as a backup.

on a minor league contract, there is no real downside of signing him, outside of fewer reps in ST for other guys.

Archived