Brewer Fanatic

What is your favorite quote?

sbrylski

"One morning over at Elizabeth's beach house, she asked me if I'd rather go water-skiing or lay-out. And I realized that not only did I not want to answer that question, but I never wanted to answer another water sports question or see any of these people again for the rest of my life. Three days later I was on my way out to the desert."

Or one that I admire from Emerson:

"Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes"

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"I do not know whether I was then a man dreaming I was a butterfly, or whether I am now a butterfly dreaming I am a man." - Chuang Tzu

"I would much rather have men ask why I have no statue, than why I have one." - Marcus Porclus Cato

"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, who is poor." - Lucius Annaeus Seneca

"Those who wish to appear wise among fools, among the wise seem foolish." - Quintillian

i have a ton, my the first one that popped into my head...
Same here. This is the one that came to mind first:
Don't forgive and never forget; do unto others before they do unto you; and third and most importantly, keep your eye on your friends because your enemies will take care of themselves.

--J.R. Ewing

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

"But Lieutenant Dan you ain't got no legs." Forrest Gump

"How would I describe myself? Three words. Hard-working. Alpha Male. Jackhammer. Merciless. Insatiable." Dwight Schrute

"Nobody likes beats, Dwight. Why don't you grow somthing that everybody does like. You should grow candy." Michael Scott

"You've never seen an after school special? Dawson's Creek? How do you get to thirty and not know about condoms?" Dr. Gregory House

"Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night."

- Edgar Allen Poe

"Lisa, if you don't like your job, you don't strike. You just go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way." - Homer Simpson

Peter Gibbons: Here's the thing, Bob. It's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care.

Bob Slydell: Don't.. don't care?

Peter Gibbons: It's a problem of motivation, all right? Now if I work my ass off and Initech ships a few extra units, I don't see another dime; so where's the motivation? And here's something else, Bob: I have eight different bosses right now.

Bob Slydell: I beg your pardon?

Peter Gibbons: Eight bosses.

Bob Slydell: Eight?

Peter Gibbons: Eight, Bob. So that means that when I make a mistake, I have eight different people coming by to tell me about it. That's my only real motivation is not to be hassled; that, and the fear of losing my job. But you know, Bob, that will only make someone work just hard enough not to get fired.

"Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza."

"Anything worth doing is worth overdoing."

"If you're going to kick authority in the teeth, you might as well use both feet."

"Jacks are home runs. So are dongs, bombs, and big flies. Baseball people express their fondness for a thing by thinking up lots of different ways to say it." - Moneyball

"My first language was shy." - Al Pacino

"Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die tomorrow."

-James Dean

"Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear -- not absence of fear."

-Mark Twain

"Take down your pants and slide on the ice."

-Sidney Freedman on M*A*S*H

"That's a craptastic pile of suck."

-Brandon Fetterly, my chemistry professor

"I wake up every morning and piss excellence"-Ricky Bobby

"I used to guys like you in prison"-bad guy in Road House...always fun to break out at some point while drinking, anyone worth drinking with has seen this movie repeatedly.

"Control for smilers can't be bought"-Phish (don't really listen to their music anymore, but still like the quote)

"Better to be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt" - Benjamin Franklin

"Diarrhea of the mouth leads to constipation of the brain" - I'm not sure who originally said it, but one of my High School teachers said it all the time.

I still remember a lot of things that were said at my college graduation ceremony, because so much of it actually applied to me. Here is a sampling:

If you're going to fail, fail big. If you don't, you're never going to make a difference.

There are two morals to this story. One, never assume that just because it's someone's job, they know how to do it. And two, don't let yourself be intimidated by professionals or their uniforms.

So take all that warm, fuzzy stuff you've been hiding and spread it around a little. And then judge yourself not by your accomplishments, but by the happiness of the people around you. If you do that, you can do anything, you can go anywhere, you can fail at anything, and wherever you are, you will find a "there" there, because you'll bring it with you.

"Which is more musical: a truck passing by a factory or a truck passing by a music school?" --John Cage

"I was shocked at college to see one hundred of my classmates in the library all reading copies of the same book. Instead of doing as they did, I went into the stacks and read the first book written by an author whose name began with Z. I received the highest grade in the class. That convinced me that the institution was not being run correctly. I left." --John Cage

"A good composer does not imitate; he steals." --Igor Stravinsky

"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." --Aldous Huxley

If you've ever heard anything by Coltrane, my signature quote is kinda fun, too http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

If I had Braun's pee in my fridge I'd tell everybody.

~Nottso

Like I said at the beginning: everything is better. I might be wrong, but I am a happier man than those convinced that everything is worse. Your choice. It's always[/i] your choice.

I read this about five years ago on James Lileks' blog. After adjusting the wording to pertain to more than just 'men', I've used it many a time to try to maintain a more upbeat perspective on things. (I used it a lot last July through September.)

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

"I know we've only known each other four weeks and three days, but to me it seems like nine weeks and five days. The first day seemed like a week and the second day seemed like five days. And the third day seemed like a week again and the fourth day seemed like eight days. And the fifth day you went to see your mother and that seemed just like a day, and then you came back and later on the sixth day, in the evening, when we saw each other, that started seeming like two days, so in the evening it seemed like two days spilling over into the next day and that started seeming like four days, so at the end of the sixth day on into the seventh day, it seemed like a total of five days. And the sixth day seemed like a week and a half. I have it written down, but I can show it to you tomorrow if you want to see it."

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

Archived