Brewer Fanatic

Starting Lineup as of now? (Designated lineup thread)

brewcrewkid14

I'm glad you pointed out to me that the Brewers would prefer to win both this coming year and the year after, thats nice. The real question is, what about the year after that??

Seriously though, I think he is going to be a guy thats going to have a tremendous impact on the Brewers next season, and in the future. So I guess what I'm saying is that I think he will outperform every other option this spring training.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

to me, Parra is ready to pitch and should be the 5th starter.

Out of Bush, Capuano, Vargas, and Villanueva, I actually think Villanueva could bring the most return relative to the quality of the player. I wouldn't mind Villanueva being part of a trade for a youngish 3b or LF.

With more expensive options on the roster, I expect Parra to start the season in AAA. One, or maybe more likely, two of Cappy/Bush/Vargas have/s to remain with the team and I just don't think the Brewers want to throw starters into the bullpen unless they need to.

I don't expect Parra to be an upgrade over Bush or Capuano in 2008.

• 2 weeks later...

In light of our recent aquisition this thread looked like it could use a bump. To be honest I am of the opinion batting order means very little in the larger scheme of things. The bottom 3 really could go in any order. Kendall could also go higher too. This lineup means less moving players around for days off.

Weeks

Hart

Braun

Fielder

Cameron

Hall

Kendall

Hardy

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

no platoons!

2B Weeks

CF Cameron

1B Fielder

LF Braun

RF Hart

3B Hall

SS Hardy

C Kendall

P

It's not that I really want Cameron batting second (though I could live with it), but I just think that he's the most likely two hole hitter. Hart hit real well out of the 5 slot last season. And I think Fielder hits 3rd and Braun 4th this season as they tried for a few games last year.

Weeks

Hart

Braun

Fielder

Cameron

Hall

Hardy

Kendall

Cameron seems to be a good hitter w/ RISP, and I think he would have a lot of opportunity w/ this lineup. For the first 25 games, I would like to see a Gross/Dillon platoon in RF, and batting second w/ Hart batting 5th. Either way, I like this team, its hard to not make the lineup look good.

Weeks

Someone

Fielder

Braun

Hart

Someone

Someone

Hardy

Kendall

Pitcher

That would be my normal lineup. Fielder is our only lefty and he does need some semblance of protection, both Braun and Hart hit righties pretty well and with both behind him he should see plenty of good pitches. Fielder also projects as a .300 hitter so the idea that he cannot hit 3rd is absurd.

To the poster that suggested Fielder ahead of Braun. Last year it was tried given it was a shorter time, nonetheless both players didn't play as well in the lineup and it was changed back. Whether it just a fluke or more I don't know for sure, but I think Yost is going to have Braun then Fielder in the lineup.

As far as Hardy, when he hit well in the 8th spot is that a fluke or is that saying something. In 06 he raked in the 2 spot and did poorly in the 8 spot. This prior year it was the opposite. If hardy can draw walks and K at the rate he was in his rookie year, mixed with his power, he could be a really special player and breakout this year. Id start him in the number 2 spot but id be quick to move him down if he struggled

This is my optimistic lineup with optimistic projections

1. Rickie Weeks (.320/24HR/37SB)

2. JJ Hardy (.302/23HR)

3. Ryan Braun (.311/37HR/17SB)

4. Prince Fielder (.297/48HR/137RBI)

5. Corey Hart (.305/27HR/27SB)

6. Mike Cameron (.272/18HR/24SB)

7. Billy Hall - (.284/19HR/13SB) move him up 1 if he shows he can regain some form

8. Jason Kendall (.277/2HR)

Pitcher

I know that Braun and Fielder didn't hit as well when they switched slots last season and I also agree that it's hard to say if it was indicative of anything with such a short sample. I think they only tried it for about 2 weeks or so? In the end I think the order only affects a few situations throughout the season.

Hardy hit very well out of the 2 hole at the beginning of the season, started to slump, and then hit well in the 8 slot at the end of the year. With all the tremendous bats in the lineup, I don't think it makes sense to bat Hardy 2nd. I don't expect much more than a .770 OPS from him in '08 which is still good for a SS. I'd be fine with Hart or Cameron at 2, though if Fielder does bat 4th, I'd want Corey Hart behind him for sure. My preference would still be Braun behind Fielder.

1. Rickie Weeks (2B) - .374 OBP/25 SB/2 CS

2. Corey Hart (RF) - .353 OBP/.295 BA/23 SB

3. Ryan Braun (LF) - .370 OBP/.634 SLG

4. Prince Fielder (1B) - .618 SLG

5. Mike Cameron (CF) - .449 SLG (away from Petco), also decent SB if lineup gets turned over or Prince Fielder clears the bases (likely)

6. Bill Hall (3B)

7. JJ Hardy (SS)

8. Jason Kendall © - Traditionally high OBP

9. Pitcher

The only reason not to hit Hart 2nd is that it basically kills his SBs. Which is why I'd prefer Cameron 2nd

But then you're killing Cameron's SB's... Not that Hart's not the better base-stealer, but I think his OBP far outweighs the lack of SB's... Given Braun's high batting average, I still think Hart's going to get the opportunity to steal bases by employing the "run and hit".

You can't hit Cameron 2nd. Strikes out way to much. You need a contact batter who works counts and understands moving runners over when it is needed. Jason Kendall is a perfect #2.

Weeks

Kendall

Braun

Fielder

Hart

Cameron

Hall

Hardy

Pitch

I think we will be surprised at how this team defensively will make our pitchers better. So many fewer pitches will have to be thrown without the surplus of errors... ERA's will drop... and we are going to score a ton of runs on top of it.

It's going to be a good season fellas.

Jason Kendall once was a perfect #2 hitter. That's why he got that huge deal with Oakland. He isn't anymore, though - a .340 OBP is a relatively optimistic expectation for him in 2008 imho. He's gotta be 8th - he could really hurt us at 2, I think.

I'm with endaround. Cam for #2.

Weeks

Cameron

Fielder

Braun

Hart

Hall

Hardy

Kendall

P

That's an insane lineup.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

The main reason I don't put Kendall high is he is probably not going to play in at least 1/3 of our games. That way the top of your lineup and most of your everyday players stays pretty stable day to day.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I like Brians lineup the best. Here is my official lineup for opening day and then after Cam's 25 games.

Opening Day Lineup, (After Cameron's return in Bold)

1. Rickie Weeks, 2b

2. Corey Hart, CF/ RF

3. Ryan Braun, LF

4. Prince Fielder, 1b

5. Gabe Gross, RF/ Mike Cameron CF

6. Bill Hall, 3b

7. JJ Hardy, SS

8. Jason Kendall, C

9. Ben Sheets, P

Bench

Backup C (Rivera, Munson, Rottino?)

Counsell LH

Dillion RH

Gwynn LH

Kapler RH/ Gabe Gross LH

Pitchers

1. Ben Sheets

2. Yovani Gallardo

3. Jeff Suppan

4. Carlos Villanueva

5. Dave Bush

CL-Eric Gagne

SU-Derrick Turnbow

LH-Brian Shouse

MR-David Riske

MR-Salomon Torres

MR-Guillermo Mota

LR-Claudio Vargas

First AAA Callup-Manny Parra

I could see Kendall batting 2nd vs righties since most of the other guys that fit there don't hit them that well. If not Kendall I like Cameron in the 2 hole against righties. Against lefties the lineup won't matter, put Kendall 8th and the rest of the lineup is PAIN.

-I don't want Kendall 2nd because I want someone there with some pop to take advantage of guys going after him because of what's looming behind him.

-I like Hart 2nd, but I really like him 5th. Braun-Fielder-Hart 3-5

-6th or 7th I like Hardy and Hall, either way, and Kendall 8th

-That leaves Weeks and Cameron 1 and 2. I'm ok with Cameron 2nd even though he's not the ideal 2 hole guy. Even though he strikes out he still sees enough pitches to let Rickie run. He still walks, and has good power and speed. I can just picture Weeks and Cameron scoring from 1st a lot with the guys batting behind them. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

-Finally, I want to minimize juggling the order daily. This set-up seems pretty good for that:

1. Weeks - best fit here

2. Cameron - I'd be fine with Gross starting the year here and getting spot starts here vs tough rhp

3. Braun

4. Fielder

5. Hart

6. Hardy

7. Hall - Same as Cameron, Counsell can spot start against tough rhp and the rest of the line-up the same

8. Kendall - As Logan mentioned, I'd prefer not to juggle the line-up, so when he doesn't play nothing changes.

When guys get days we don't need to shuffle too much. When Counsell gives Rickie his rare day off he can lead-off. Same with Gross for Cameron. 3-5 play just about everyday. When Hardy sits, Counsell bats 7th and Hall bumps up to 6th

We should not lose a game against a lefty. Against righties, I think we have enough there to be good. Weeks, Hart, Braun, Fielder. If Cameron or Hall really struggle against righties we have Gross and Counsell to spot start here and there.

2B Weeks

RF Hart

LF Braun

1B Fielder

3B Hall

CF Cameron

SS Hardy

C Kendall

I'm one of those guys that thinks Hall will come back with some power this year thanks to his move back to the infield. I could see Hart batting 5th until Hall finds that power again, in which case I would probably put Cameron 2nd.

If I had Braun's pee in my fridge I'd tell everybody.

~Nottso

Can anyone post the league-averages by lineup slot (from last year, perhaps)? I think that'd be an interesting contribution to this discussion. I would, but don't know where to find them. Thanks in advance.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Archived