Brewer Fanatic

Ryan Braun: errors in left field?

orca1963
Imo it comes down to availability. If the best option (offense, defense, & availability considered) is via LF, then Braun stays at 3B. If the best option is via 3B, then he moves. Clearly if you had the ability to simply pick from two scenarios, for 2008, you pick the one with Braun in LF.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

The one thing about Braun is he looks like a third basemen.
That's a good point. As bad as he was he looks athletic in the field. He also got to some balls that looked like he wouldn't. He looked good charging bunts and such. I guess the best description would be to say he looked pretty raw. Like he has only been playing at 3B for a short time.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

As Sam states, Logan has the correct order for the Bill James defensive spectrum:

1B - LF - RF - 3B - CF - 2B - SS - C

Sometimes DH is tossed in at the left, however it has to be pointed out, of course, that it isn't a defensive position. James' original model didn't include catcher, probably because its skill set isn't very neatly related to the other positions.

This Wikipedia article adds in Pitcher to the right. In defensive terms, I don't think that would be correct and that pitcher should probably be eliminated. There's probably confusion because we so often use the defensive spectrum while discussing offensive adequacy.

Interestingly, however, the article discusses a time when 3B was rated to be more difficult than 2B. This would be in an era when the double play wasn't very prevalent.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

• 1 month later...
I still think the Brewers would've been better off moving Weeks to center and putting Hall at second.

Are you implying this would have fixed something? We'd still have Braun at 3B and a hole in LF...or the other way around.

I doubt that would be the case. Melvin probably would of went after a true 3B or less likely 2B (by moving Hall to 3B) this year instead of Cameron.

I doubt that would be the case. Melvin probably would of went after a true 3B or less likely 2B (by moving Hall to 3B) this year instead of Cameron.

What makes you think he didn't, and came up empty? That was the company line for the most of the winter. If Mike Cameron was on the top of the list, he would have potentially been inked weeks before he actually was.

What makes you think he didn't, and came up empty? That was the company line for the most of the winter. If Mike Cameron was on the top of the list, he would have potentially been inked weeks before he actually was.

I don't, but you have to believe that different players would of been targeted. I doubt that they would of moved Rickie back into the infield, and at the time that the Weeks to CF discussion was being entertained Weeks couldn't catch a cold at 2B. That is not the case with Hall.

I think that Braun will struggle at first naturally, but I can see him becoming a good defensive outfielder for sure. He has the speed, and the footwork needed in the outfield is more fluid than the often violent angles of the hot corner (balance is a premium skill at #B). I just have no idea how his throwing is going to be. I suspect it wouldn't be a problem because generally third basemen have good arms, but wasn't a lot of his defensive shortcoming due to bad throws? Or was it not getting to enough balls? Was there a typical Braun error or inconsistency last year?

I just have no idea how his throwing is going to be. I suspect it wouldn't be a problem because generally third basemen have good arms, but wasn't a lot of his defensive shortcoming due to bad throws? Or was it not getting to enough balls? Was there a typical Braun error or inconsistency last year?

The consistency was poor all-around mechanics for 3B... and now as we hear, he didn't like playing there, so it makes a bit more sense. When you're not comfortable at a position, the mistakes will come.

His biggest weaknesses at 3B imho were bad footwork, which ended up leading to a lot of errant throws. The arm strength never is or was a question with Ryan, which is just one reason why so many were pulling for him to be moved to LF. His skills are utilized so much more efficiently in LF/OF. His natural athletic ability & strong arm combo make it plausible for him to capably man either corner OF spot once he gets the feel for playing OF.

My guess is his learning curve is similar to Hall's in CF, but given that LF is significantly easier, the negative results will be fewer.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I think the real concern is an injury more than Braun screwing up. He runs into a wall, another player, pulls a hammy running for a flyball etc because he isn't used to the position. In the studies I've looked at switching to an easier position doesn't normally cause problems with the bat but any new position is a significant injury risk.

i think braun will be a good left fielder right off the bat...it's just not a very technical position...if he gets a handle on jumps, he'll probably be above average right away...

i see no reason to expect any kind of struggle at all...

He's going to be just fine in LF. I have absolutely no doubt in my mind that he'll be an above average LF by Mid May.

That is the way I feel, he is going to have an easier transition to LF from 3B then Hall did to CF last year. LF is supposed to be the easiest of the 3 OF positions in MLB.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

Archived