Brewer Fanatic

What's in your CD player?

jordanmuehl
  • Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

man, you guys listen to a lot of stuff I have never heard of before.

Weren't you the guy who was saying they were watching that October Road show? Ryan Adams did some stuff for it. They've used his songs and he did a video with the cast or something. As much of a fan as I am of RA, though, I haven't brought myself to watch the show.

Weren't you the guy who was saying they were watching that October Road show? Ryan Adams did some stuff for it. They've used his songs and he did a video with the cast or something. As much of a fan as I am of RA, though, I haven't brought myself to watch the show.

yes, but I am no fan of Ryan Adams, not my cup of tea. I need loud guitars!

Amen. Except for the loud guitars part, those are just preferred.

On the computer: Band of Horses - Cease To Begin

In The Car: All 18 tracks of Radiohead - In Rainbows, burned on one disc.

In the kitchen CD player (cooking, doing dishes music): Hot Chip - DJ Licks

CD player in the bedroom: Marvin Gaye - Let's Get It On (yeah, baby!)

Band of Horses- Cease to Begin

Yeah, I really felt like the new Band of Horses album was the most disappointing of the year, maybe besides the new Architecture in Helsinki one. Really "blah.", especially coming off of an effort like "Everything All the Time."

You should go to an RA live show -- he and the other Cardinals absolutely whail on their respective instruments. He doesn't play his softer music, and if he does choose to use an acoustic piece (a la "Oh My God, Whatever, Etc.," "Everybody Knows"), he makes the acoustic part electric and, usually, distorted. Just pray that he doesn't throw a temper tantrum on stage (as he's known to do) and you'll consider it one of the best shows you've been to.

Band of Horses- Cease to Begin

Yeah, I really felt like the new Band of Horses album was the most disappointing of the year, maybe besides the new Architecture in Helsinki one. Really "blah.", especially coming off of an effort like "Everything All the Time."

Really? Wow. "Is There A Ghost" starts things off magnificently and then there's not a bad track IMO. Different strokes I guess. It did take a couple listens before it really took off for me, but after that I was hooked.

Coheed and Cambria - No World for Tomorrow.

They've been my favorite band for years. Ive had that CD in my truck since it came out late October.

Just saw them at the Pabst Theater a week or so ago.

Saw them at the warped tour this past summer.

Saw them at the Rave last winter.

Saw them at summerfest the summer before last.

It's hard to say who I like better... Brew Crew or Coheed and Cambria.

You should go to an RA live show -- he and the other Cardinals absolutely whail on their respective instruments. He doesn't play his softer music, and if he does choose to use an acoustic piece (a la "Oh My God, Whatever, Etc.," "Everybody Knows"), he makes the acoustic part electric and, usually, distorted. Just pray that he doesn't throw a temper tantrum on stage (as he's known to do) and you'll consider it one of the best shows you've been to.

so the only way I will enjoy him is to see him live? pass, there are too many bands I like without having to see them live, to enjoy their stuff. I highly doubt that seeing a guy live, who I have never heard anything from that I liked on cd or via tv shows, whatever, will make me think it was one of the best shows I have ever seen. The guys music bores me, watching him perform boring songs live will never happen. Sorry dude, like what you want, but his stuff isn't for me.

I bet you'll really enjoy this thread then-

Best of 2007: The Music

wow, I am out of touch, 75% or more of the stuff listed in that thread I have never even heard of. Is that what happenes when you age?

http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

I'm with the rockers in that thread though. The Quiet Riot Rehab cd is a great listen if anyone is into metal.

Testify, brother.

Or, if one felt compelled, they could check out either http://www.ryanadamsarchive.com/ or Archive.org's Ryan Adams collection: http://www.archive.org/details/RyanAdams

RA&TC are legitimately a great live band, and I'd say that even if I didn't have a huge pro-Adams bias. I saw them in Madison and Milwaukee in September, and though both were good shows (Madison was great since I was in the front row and Ryan was in a better mood), they don't even touch their summer-winter of 2006 run of the States and Europe. They were in a zone for about five months there.

EDIT: Just to say that this show right here is where it's at for The Cards circa 2007:

http://www.archive.org/details/radams2007-10-25.sbd.flac16

They played roughly 40 songs (!) that night. And it's an amazing show. Pretty much a summation of why a lot of Deadheads have hitched their wagon to the band nowadays.

Ryan Adams Archive is a great site. I've been going to it for a few months now. I also went to the Milwaukee show, and I got a kick out of two things: Ryan getting so ticked off by the yells for requests and the manner in which people requested songs. Ryan would be about to break into a song and someone from the balcony would scream "WINDING WHEEL!!!" and he'd just bug-out. I thought it was funny, but it did detract from the performance a bit. Still a good show. My brother went to the Madison show and said it was a better show, though.

Oh, and these aren't in my CD player yet, but they will be once I finish the downloads in a few more minutes:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/7/78/Distortion_album_cover.jpg

http://assets4.pitchforkmedia.com/images/image/39442.ole-754_jukebox-1.jpg

http://www.imageyenation.com/images/blog-gallery/jenny_lewis_with_the_watson_twins-rabbit_fur_coat%28mp3%29.jpg http://www.sadreminders.com/discography/images/ocean_beach_lg.jpg http://dynimg.rte.ie/0001006110dr.jpg

(In preferential order...)

Jenny Lewis and The Watson Twins, Rabbit Fur Coat

Red House Painters, Ocean Beach

Rilo Kiley, Under The Blacklight

I really disliked the new Rilo album. Though I love the Jenny Lewis/Watson Twins album.

And I LOVE everything Mark Kozelek has ever laid his hands on. Even the Modest Mouse covers album.

I just read this on Billboard: http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003689714

The trademark sprawling rockers ("Tonight in Bilbao," "The Light") are present on "April," due April 1 via Kozelek's own Caldo Verde label, as are devastating snapshots of crumbled relationships ("Moorestown," the solo acoustic "Blue Orchids"). Elsewhere, cult favorite indie singer/songwriter Will Oldham guests on "Unlit Hallway" and "Like the River."

"I heard his voice in there, so I mailed him the songs," Kozelek tells Billboard.com of Oldham, who he met in the late '90s during an in-store at San Francisco's Amoeba Records. "In very Will Oldham style, he turned them around almost overnight. He added so much color. I think my favorite part of the whole album is his back-ups on 'Unlit Hallway.'"

With Kozelek + Oldham, I may be in heaven.

Archived