Brewer Fanatic

What's in your CD player?

jordanmuehl
  • Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Today, it was a Mike Cooley solo show from 2005.

Cooley rules.

There's a Youtube video of him playing Space City solo.... just ridiculously good - the man is deceptively wise - at first glance I think a lot of people don't get his lyrics, but man can that guy turn a phrase... after Jason's solo effort (which I like, by the way), I'm starting to think Cooley may be the better songwriter...

I went on a huge Southern Rock Opera kick recently after I bought the vinyl, and came to the conclusion that Cooley is a total genius. I'm a massive Jason fan (I have front row center pics from one of his shows three weeks before the DBT one that I may have to post, too), but I think Cooley is the best writer in the group.

Yeah, Patterson has some amazing songs, but he also has quite a few bombs (IMO). And Cooley is also just... cooler. I really wish he would have a solo album. Wasn't the talk prior to BTCD that there was one in the works? I mean, he played "Bob" at that '05 show, so he obviously doesn't just write for the purpose of having his songs on DBT records.

There was "talk", but I don't know how serious that was. The rub on Cooley has been that he isn't very prolific, but what he does come to the table with is genius... sure, there are a few "Bob"'s thrown it, but as you noted, Patterson does have more bombs (and bob does have some charm to it because it's Cooley singing it)...

But if you put a gun to my head, I'd say give me Zip City, Women Without Whiskey, Where the Devil Don't Stay and Marry Me above anything else - not to mention Space City, Get on the Plane, the list goes on... Three Dimes Down is good, and Lisa's Birthday isn't my favorite song, but it makes my smile like an idiot child...

A Cooley solo album would be mind blowing but I don't see him as the guy to do it...

(With that gun pointed at my head, I would have to take My Sweet Annette with me, too...)

We didn't get Jack Daniels poured down our throats

Sorry to hear that....http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/tongue.gif

I would've been looking to get the JD.

My CD tonight is:

http://funkysouls.com/img/Thornley_-_Come_Again.jpg

"His whole life is a fantasy camp. People should plunk down $2000 to live like him for a week. Sleep, do nothing, fall ass-backwards into money, mooch food off your neighbors and have sex without dating... THAT'S a fantasy camp."

sure, there are a few "Bob"'s thrown it, but as you noted, Patterson does have more bombs (and bob does have some charm to it because it's Cooley singing it)...

I wasn't ripping "Bob". I love it, one of my favorite songs on the new album. I really don't think the guy's got any bad songs. Even on the old albums where he'd only get a song or two, those songs were things like "Panties in Your Purse" and "Uncle Frank" - which are brilliant.

And the new album just belongs to him.

I'm currently playing, and then playing again, the new album from Elbow - Seldom Seen Kid.

If there is a better album this year, it'll have to be magnificent, for this is quite spectacularly good. Here's the first single from the album,

I really didn't like the Elbow album. I found it pretty boring. I think there's probably 15 records this year that I like more, most notably Sun Kil Moon, Drive-By Truckers, Mountain Goats, and Nick Cave. Most recently, Justin Townes Earle's "The Good Life", and Breathe Owl Breathe's "Ghost Glacier" EP (they are a phenomenal folk duo from Ann Arbor who I have fallen in love with the past few weeks).

Just a personal statement, though... It does keep making me mad when I am loving a record a month before Pitchfork reviews it. Makes me look like a fanboy to listen to Hercules And Love Affair (to name one), when I mentioned it in this thread weeks before their review came out. They need to keep up with the times.

I really didn't like the Elbow album. I found it pretty boring. I think there's probably 15 records this year that I like more, most notably Sun Kil Moon, Drive-By Truckers, Mountain Goats, and Nick Cave. Most recently, Justin Townes Earle's "The Good Life", and Breathe Owl Breathe's "Ghost Glacier" EP (they are a phenomenal folk duo from Ann Arbor who I have fallen in love with the past few weeks).

Just a personal statement, though... It does keep making me mad when I am loving a record a month before Pitchfork reviews it. Makes me look like a fanboy to listen to Hercules And Love Affair (to name one), when I mentioned it in this thread weeks before their review came out. They need to keep up with the times.

Hey, no harm , no foul. I don't think we have very similar musical tastes, to be honest. Elbow are probably a band that you need to hear a few times to really get. By the same token, when I saw DBT at Lolla a couple years ago I was singularly underwhelmed, so I'm guessing there's not much Elbow/DBT synergy going on!

If you like the melodic nature of Coldplay, but find them to be a little trite or overplayed, or like Radiohead's experimentalism but find them to be just a little precious, Elbow might be for you!

I stand by my statement however. Seldom Seen Kid will be in the 10 best albums of the year.

Yeah, I actually got into listening to Elbow because I spend a ton of time at the Radiohead message board, and there are a lot of people who swear by them there, much like there is a lot of love for bands like The Charlatans there - the big in the U.K. but not in the US type of bands. I love Radiohead, though I can't stand Coldplay. I also love John Peel (actually listened to PJ Harvey's Peel Sessions CD a few times this week).

Just seemed to me like there was a lot of samey-ness to Elbow (and I guess I should talk since most of Mark Kozelek/Sun Kil Moon/RHP stuff can start to sound like one long song to some people).

I guess samey-ness can work as long as you have an identifyable sound. Look at ZZ Top, they haven't exactly changed their game plan in 40 years!

There are bits of other people in Elbow - a little Gabriel vocal, a little Badly Drawn Boy, a little stadium bombast, some Radiohead, but always ending up sounding like Elbow. As long as they keep making songs as achingly wonderful as Newborn, Fugitive Motel or One Day Like Today, they can keep doing whatever works.

Rumor is that this will be the last album proper (EPs and one-off singles only from now on). If so they've gone out in style before they ever made a Be Here Now or Metal Machine Music.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived