Brewer Fanatic

Jim Leyritz arrested for vehicular homicide

Uh, wow.

Drunkest Driver Ever?
Oregon woman nine times over state blood alcohol content limit
JANUARY 10--In what may be the most extreme drunk driving case ever, an Oregon woman was arrested last month with a .72 blood alcohol level--nine times the state's legal limit. Terri Comer, 42, was arrested after she was discovered unconscious in her car, which sheriff's deputies found running and in a snow bank on a highway in Klamath County on December 28. After breaking a car window, firemen removed the comatose Comer from her vehicle and transported her to a local hospital, where a blood draw revealed the .72 BAC....

Drunkest Driver Ever?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, I live in OR, & hadn't heard about that one. Yikes.

And as for the comments throughout about bartenders being partly to blame; when do we as a society start taking responsibility for our own actions instead of always looking for a scapegoat?

First off, I agree with your note on personal resposibility - let me be very clear on that. However, I can tell you that there does have to be accountability on the server, too. What the bartender doesn't have to do is lock the guy up &/or physically restrain him... but let me tell you first-hand from working as a doorman, certain bartenders only care about their next $5, not what impact overserving a patron (again) may or may not have.

I've had several situations where the person I ended up having to throw out was a patron, while the person I really wanted to toss was the bartender. This has included me personally going up to a bartender (more than one occurance), pointing out which patron I was concerned about, asking & getting agreement that he/she would not be served anymore... only to see the bartender serving him/her minutes later. The response as to why always has something to do with, 'His/her friends will take care of him/her', or 'Oh - I think he/she's fine,' or 'It's cool - I know him/her, he/she comes in here a lot.'

The money involved with bartending makes this kind of thing very dicey imho.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

My wife is an EMT, and she was on a call recently where some drunk lady slammed her car into the car of another driver. The non-drunk driver sustained injuries, and the drunk driver was able to run away from the police and EMTs on the scene.

They later find out this gal has 8 DUIs and just got out of prison serving a one year sentence.

It seems wrong that our society will endorse the most extreme punishment imaginable in the name of protecting society, yet this person has been given 8 chances to kill someone.

Ironically she may get a stiffer penalty for running away from the police.

Archived