Brewer Fanatic

You're hired as GM for.....

NievesNoNO

We'll see, without Bonds my money is on Sabean crashing and burning. I think you are underrating just how good Bonds was, he pretty much single handedly gave them winning records in 97, 99, 2001 and 2004 and they probably only make the playoffs 1 time without him, he was just that good. From 2001-2004 he put up some of the best seasons in MLB history blowing away anything ARod has done and of course any player who came into contact with Bonds and suddenly got better (Kent, Snow, Schmidt) are all suspect for steroids.

I still feel the Giants won regardless of Sabean, I'm sure I won't convince you to look past the team record but I'm guessing you think Marino wasn't a great QB because he never won a super bowl too.

A GM's job is basically putting together a winning team on a certain budget, so winning percentage and titles have to be the standard for judging ability. Of course, there needs to be some handicap in baseball for the salary cap discrepency. I don't know if the Giants made money or not, so I can't judge him on that part of his job.

Winning can be done many ways. We're indoctrinated in the "build from within" mindset because that's all small to mid market teams can do to survive in today's baseball. It is still possible to win other ways. Plus, the Giants' farm system did give them most of their starting rotation. I'd much rather have a farm system that gives me 3-4 good to great Major Leaguers than one that wins the Minor League championships but doesn't produce good Major Leaguers. Again, as Brewer fans we're spoiled in that we've had stars coming up at every position... of course, it took many years of futility to get us numerous top draft picks for that to happen.

Bonds was an anomaly, and no one can say where the Giants would've been had steroids never existed. I'd guess Sabean would have put the team together somewhat differently. For example, had we not picked Fielder, we'd still have Overbay at 1B, or Hart would be our 1B, and we'd have traded Overbay for a RF rather than Bush. It's a dynamic world, , so it's not as simple as saying "replace player A with player B."

I'd say that Bonds of last season cost the team at least as many wins as he earned them. They do have a good pitching staff and may not be as bad as they showed last season when they were a traveling circus waiting for Barry to break the record. As was stated, Sabean's probably not a great GM, but he's not the worst.

As far as the Marino reference, I'm with you as far as players go. I believe Marino and Favre are better than Brady and Bradshaw. However, the Patriots and Steelers had/have better GMs, whose job was to put together a team around the star QB that was capable of winning a Super Bowl.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

I think taking the KC GM job would be fun because you have young talent hitting and in a few years, should be competitive. Would have to lock up Gordon to a long-term contract, but that is no harm. Also, have the team help out in the KC area, so that way, we could possibly boost attendance.

Archived