Brewer Fanatic

Jury Duty

cweber39

Yeah, they're pretty understanding. I opted out once because I was in college and didn't have a car, and once again because it was my first week on a new job. I finally ended up going in one week and got paid to play sheepshead for a half-day. Just don't expect a letter back from them or anything... assume you got out of it. They aren't going to try to chase you down or anything, as they summon far more jurors than they ever use.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

When I lived in AZ you could push out the date a couple of times but you had to show up - unless you had a life threatening situation.

People really blow it off? I thought that was against the law or something.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

When I lived in AZ you could push out the date a couple of times but you had to show up - unless you had a life threatening situation.

People really blow it off? I thought that was against the law or something.

Maybe it depends on the county that you live in. In Waukesha County, they were extremely laid back about it. I'm sure it's illegal, but I don't think they do anything about enforcing it... Of course, the safest thing you can do is play by the rules about deferring it or just go in. Chances are, you won't actually be picked anyway and you get off the hook for 5 years.

Though I don't know where you were summoned, cweber, I would advise against completely blowing it off, even if that's not against the law. To me it just seems like a cooperative civic thing to do.

I have had two jury duty experiences, both with Dane County. The first time I was summoned for the busiest time of the year at my workplace. I wrote a letter describing the situation and saying that I should be able to serve any other two week period, barring an emergency. They put it off a few more weeks, which worked all right for me.

If you have a valid reason for either postponement or being excused entirely, write the letter and see what happens. If you're willing to do it some time, but just not *that* time, courts seem to be willing to accommodate that. If your main reason for opting out is you just don't want to do it, that may not be as well received.

My experiences were not that bad. The first time I was selected for a trial that lasted two days; the second time I was dismissed around noon. The longest you can be "on call" in Dane County is two weeks, which pretty much boils down to two Mondays. From hearing others' experiences elsewhere, I am guessing the Dane commitment is not that arduous.

The only thing that I think would freak me out is if I were selected for a trial that required sequestering. I'd hate to be cut off from the rest of the world, and if the situation ever arose I figure I'd explain that frankly. They probably don't want a freaked out juror.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

From hearing others' experiences elsewhere, I am guessing the Dane commitment is not that arduous.

Main Entry:
ar·du·ous http://m-w.com/images/audio.gif
Pronunciation:
\?är-j?-w?s, -dyu?-, -jü-?s\
Function:
adjective
Etymology:
Latin arduus high, steep, difficult; akin to Old Irish ard high
Date:
1 a: hard to accomplish or achieve : difficult b: marked by great labor or effort : strenuous 2: hard to climb : steep

I learn something new at bf.net every day. Thanks Hawing!

"After years of arduous work and seemingly endless losing seasons, the Brewers will finally win a World Series in 2008".

http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/embarassed.gif I swear I wasn't trying to be a snotty vocabulary builder.

I have relatives in Janesville who in the past were on call for jury duty for a couple of months (though apparently they've recently changed the length of service - link). Compared to that, the Dane County commitment seems like a breeze -as long as you aren't picked for a long or particularly gross trial.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

My parents and brother (I am oddly the only family member who has not yet been chosen to serve yet) "served" jury duty. They usually give you a jury number and you have to call a phone number the night before and if your number is chosen, you have to show up. My Mom and brother's number was never called, but my Dad's was. Most companies will reimburse you if you have to serve jury duty. They will ask you for the five dollar a day jury duty deal in exchange for paying you your regular salary.

my wife served in milwaukee a few years back.

she requested that the first date be switched and was given a new set of dates. she was excused half-way through the first day.

i have been a reserve a couple times...i may have forgot to call in to the designated number a couple of times. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

I would kill to sit on a jury. However, being an attorney, I will always be stricken.

That said, don't blow it off. I have seen a judge call in jurors that failed to appear and issue them fines for contempt. Granted it doens't happen that often, but it is probably something better to avoid.

The first time I got called, Waukesha County excused me because I had college exams that week.

The second time was in Milwaukee County and I was a reserve. I just had to call in twice a day for a week. They never needed me to come in.

The third time was also in Milwaukee Co. and I actually sat on a jury. It was pretty interesting. Although with all the hand wringing going on amongst the jury I'm surprised anyone ever gets convicted of anything.

I've never been called, and I'd actually like to do it. How do they select people anyway?

I could be wrong, but I think they randomly choose from registered voters, tax-paying citizens and driver's license holders. So if you've never voted, had a legal job or driven a car, you're safe from jury duty. At the same time if that were the case you might have trouble getting selected anyway.

don't blow it off

I've been selected twice and both times I couldn't do it. The first time I pleaded with them on the phone, then wrote a letter and then made an appearance at the courthouse before they dismissed me from jury duty. The second time I got called, I decided not to go through the hassle from last time and I just blew it off. 3 weeks later I got a letter in the mail saying I was dismissed. It was 10 times easier to blow it off.

When I was on jury duty, the judge was absolutely adamant that the only excuses for not serving were illness, family emergency, or planned vacation. Work commitment was not a valid reason, although for one appearance, I begged out when the Court Clerk called me on a Sunday night to serve Monday morning, and it would have been way more inconvenient than usual to miss work. She said she wasn't supposed to let me off, but that she'd do it as a favor just that one time. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

The second time I was called, I wrote back and said that I had just done jury duty 18 months before. I didn't hear back.

The third time, I was having back problems and could have provided medical documentation had it been required. I wrote a letter saying I wouldn't be able to sit in a chair for more than a few minutes before needing to either walk around or lie down. Again, I didn't hear back.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

I was selected for jury duty in Dane County once, about three years ago. I showed up at the Courthouse on Monday morning, and waited about 4 hours when my number came. Myself and about twenty others were brought into a court room. I was dismissed by the defendant who was representing himself. It was a rather "simple" case involving a man who got into an altercation with city workers at a yard waste drop off site.

I never heard how it ended.

"His whole life is a fantasy camp. People should plunk down $2000 to live like him for a week. Sleep, do nothing, fall ass-backwards into money, mooch food off your neighbors and have sex without dating... THAT'S a fantasy camp."

When I served, 'strikes' by the two attorneys were given to the judge, so we didn't officially know which side dismissed us. The DA later told me in a local bar that I was dismissed (by a female defense attorney) for being too sensitive to women's issues. It was a sexual assault case. The only thing I can figure is that I raised my hand when the jurors were asked, "How many of you believe victims have rights, too?"

That was the only time I was struck. I served on three juries, and a couple of other times, my name wasn't drawn.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

I just got the letter for my third time as a juror. It seems as though everyone I know has never even been summoned, yet in my 15 years of eligibility I'm up for it every time. And each of the two times before this one I have been among the first people called and was assigned to a case immediately. I hate to say this, but both cases were a waste of the public's time with a few ambulance chasers involved, so I'm hoping the next one is a little more interesting and legitimate.

And due to the Marquette Interchange reconstruction, there is no parking available, but they give you a shiny bus ticket to use!

I'm a strong proponent of civic duty, but I really dislike jury duty, and at this pace, I'll serve 12+ times if I live to be 80.

Oh yeah, and don't blow it off. As casey said, the courts don't even consider a busy work schedule as a valid enough excuse to get out of it.

Archived