Brewer Fanatic

How to change careers when your 30.......

aracko

Not to get all "whoa is me" and all that garbage, cause I do not need sympathy. I have a life many people wish they had probably. I am by no means rich but by no means poor. I get by without scraping too bad on most months, which is a pretty good accomplishment with 3 kids. But does anyone have any suggestions for changing careers when your 30 years old and have 3 children? I have 11+ years with the same company but do not want to continue working in a cubicle. I cannot get my wifes permission to start my own business or to renew a cleaning business that we used to have. I have tried Union Pacific and made it to the last few canidates but they chose someone else because he had "experience". I am constantly emailing HVAC Shops around town to see if they would hire someone with good history but no experience, but I never get any sort of response. Is it even possible to get considered for a position like this anymore unless you take an apprenticeship?

To me, the biggest drawback to the late 80s/early 90s, outside of the music, was the fading of hiring good people with the theory that good people do well. Now its all degree and experience orientated.

I feel trapped in my work. I make too much money to just start over - my kids and wife depend on me to make the house payments and put food on the table, but I never wanted to do this kind of work. I was in college and had a child and needed a job. Since then I have had 2 more wonderful children enter my life. I have been here since and while I am always looking back, I am very proud of what I have accomplished.

Maybe everyone feels this way, but if I were starting my own business, I would always have room for a guy like me. How do guys like us, guys who have never had an opportunity to pick their careers, get that opportunity? We are the guys who know that we would be successful in whatever we do because we are the hard working type, the type that thinks things thru and grinds away, no matter what the problem, until we have a solution. We are the weekend handyman type who is out of place and slowly going out of mind sitting in this little tiny cubicle pushing thru because of the pictures of our kids on our walls. The Concrete Jungle is enormous, how can there not be another door open for me? I need out in the worst way. How do I do it?

I was once on a "career path" to being a project manager for a glazing (glass) company that handled construction contracts.

I was hired on as a glazier to gain experience at $15 an hour, worked 45-60 hours a week, spent a lot of jobs out of town (making a $50 per day per diem) and was offered a "full scholarship" to a PMI degree as soon as I could prove I had a good grasp on the materials, techniques, and manufacturers (Kawneer, YKK). I was offered the job because I listed on a resume that I had dropped off all over town that I was Comptia Project+ certified (which is a very low level Project Management certification).

From what I had witnessed, being a project manager for that company looked like it entailed work 6 days a week, long hours, and project juggling. You were also expected to visit each job site at least once a week. I did not mind working in construction, but I absolutely hated the idea of being a PM for that company.

The job I work at now (IT distribution) I was pretty much hired on the spot. I was given my first interview, second interview, a sit and listen session and a third interview all in the same day. I got the job offer a day later. Five weeks of paid training, salaried position, great pay with no comission cap. Several people here make 6 figures.

I never held a project management or sales job in my life, but I do hold three "entry level" CompTIA certifications. A+, Network+ and Project+. I'm registered with an IT placement agent and she's sending me job offers within my qualifications all the time (if I apply, am qualified, and stick, she tells me that she gets 10% of the placement fee). Once in a while a gem does come up, but I don't feel the need to switch right now.

My point is, many industries have certifications that prove a level of understanding that will open a ton of doors. In my experience, with a legitimate study habit.. the exams are easy and multiple choice to boot. A lot of times it's really just a matter of reading a book, taking some practice exams and taking the real exams.

For me to pass my three certifications, I had to take four exams. I had spent about $120 on books (which came with practice exams) and $600 on the exam vouchers (came with more practice exams).

There are places that look at people not paper but I think they tend to be smaller places. There are advantages to small places but the drawbacks are ususally monetary/benefits. I would suggest going to places in person when trying to convince them you are worthy of a job vs an e-mail or phone call. As harsh as it sounds we won't even bother with someone who calls asking if we are hiring. The reasoning is simple. If they don't even take the time to come down and check in person why would we think they would be more interested in this particular job than someone who took the time to stop by and talk to us about it? Not to mention you can't show your qualities as a person in an e-mail nearly like you can in person. It's also very hard to erase a personal visist without at least getting seen. Go mulitple times until they know your face if necessary. Maybe the next time they are hiring they will at least consider going with a person vs a concept.

Good luck finding joy in your professional life...even if it's finding satisfaction with the one you have now.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

i went back to school when i was 25. I went from making 40,000 or so a year, to going to school and making 12/hr. I had to take a step back in pay when i started my new career but after 1-1/2 i was back to where i was before I changed. My wife basically had to support me and we didnt have any kids at the time so with 3 kids it is going to be more difficult for you.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I suggest going back to school. You can do it part time or even over the web these days. Get certified in something, volunteer, get a part time internship. Once you get some experience go out there and see what's what.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

There are some schools that will offer classes on the weekends. Perhaps you could keep your existing job and go to school on the weekends. Maybe you would have to take a class once during the week, too.

I never had to completely change my career -- I was able to stay within the same type of job. However I did have to go outside my comfort zone when I graduated from college in '92. I went into systems management and network administration. After awhile, I decided to get into my first love, software engineering / programming. It was a little painful, but fortunately I knew somebody who was able to give me the opportunity.

Do you have a chance to network with people in the field where you are looking to go? Perhaps asking your friends for advice might prompt them to say, "We have been looking for somebody like you... and we are willing to train you."

Also, if you find a startup company, they may hire you because they are looking for people like you -- warm bodies that are willing to work hard. Perhaps you could work out a deal where you work for them and agree to go to school while you are working for them. It would almost be a win/win -- they get somebody who is willing to stay late to keep the company afloat, and you are getting the experience and education necessary to be successful.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
And in my experience, phone calls work better than sending out resumes. Also, you need to try to get to the person that you will actually be working for rather than the HR people.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I am sort of doing this now. Granted I dont have anyone to support. Been at the same place for 7 years and basically got as far as I'm going to go. A couple of months ago my buddy from the military called me up and said the had a few position available . If your going to get a position in a totally different career field you either need to get a bunch of certifications or start networking with people in that career field.

Archived