Brewer Fanatic

PHI signs So Taguchi (1yr/1.05M)

reillymcshane

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

It would have been ironic if they had signed Kevin Mench.

Yeah, that would be funny. Still could - not that Mench wants to be a platoon guy. Taguchi could easily be their 5th OF, pinch hitter type guy.

It's kind of sad seeing how badly Mench has fallen. Every mention I read is 'the so-and-so's said they have no interest in Mench'. Again, I think because he's looking for more opportunity than just a platoon job. Maybe I'm wrong there, but he certainly has value as a righthanded hitter. I just don't think anyone would want him for anything more than that, while he sees himself as a full timer. Can't blame him, I guess. No one wants to be a part timer.

A friend of mine who is a Phillies fan told me Jenkins' platoon partner is expected to be Jayson Werth. He has an .864 OPS vs. LHP in a whopping 326 PA vs. LHP, but that's what I was told FWIW.

I'd guess Taguchi might be a late inning defense guy for the Phillies, considering the statue which plays left field for them.

"When a piano falls on Yadier Molina get back to me, four letter." - Me, upon reading a ESPN update referencing the 'injury-plagued Cardinals'

Taguchi will likely be their 4th OF. Jenks/Werth platoon = high potential. I'd just say 'awesome', but Geoff didn't do that much while facing mostly RHP in 2007, so time will tell. If anything, that's going to be arguably the best defensive OF platoon in MLB. Those guys bring the leather.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Archived