Brewer Fanatic

Goofy things that you know don't make sense but do anyway

Oldcity

My mind is wandering at 2:45 in the morning and I am thinking about random pointless things I do. I just got an apple from the fridge and I rinsed it off under the faucet before eating it. I always do this before eating an apple. I'm pretty sure this is not unusual and is probably the "safe" thing to do. Yet when I put that action into context it seems goofy. I have no problem sharing beverages with someone I know (as if knowing them makes it less of a risk), I will occasionally eat something I dropped on the floor if the floor looks clean enough, I occasionally rub my eye, I eat fast food, etc. In other words, I feel those things are more of a health risk than not rinsing off my apple, yet I can't eat one without rinsing the darn thing off.

Others:

I love corn on the cob, yet I don't like "regular" corn.

I used to put bananas in the freezer for 10 minutes before eating them. No idea how I even started doing that.

When I reach my subdivision driving home, I take a slightly longer route. I really have no reason for doing this, yet I always take the way that I know is probably 10-15 seconds slower.

Not really one I chose, but I'm left-handed for some things and right-handed for others. It gets really strange. I write left-handed, and do general everyday things like eating, brushing teeth, etc left-handed. I throw a baseball left-handed, yet throw a football right-handed (and I can't do it vice versa). I bat right-handed, bowl right-handed, play tennis right-handed, golf right-handed, yet on the rare occasion I pick up a hockey stick, I hold that left-handed. I feel like there could be a pyschological experiment somewhere in which I could be paid to participate.

I absolutely refuse to touch a cd on the data side. I know not unusual, but it's to the point where it almost pains me when I see someone else do it.

When I have something coming up the next day and I'm thinking about it, I sometimes imagine different scenarios. Sometimes I think of the most unfortunate outcome, but then comfort myself by thinking, "well you know that's not going to happen, because you thought of it happening beforehand." Terrible logic, I know, yet it somehow makes me feel better.

Do you have any good ones? Hopefully someone comes up with something goofy, or else I sort of cybernetically undressed myself to brewerfan.net.

So basically pointless things you could make a Seinfeld episode out of? http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/laugh.gif Anyway, when I had my car I'd always lock the doors from the inside. After I got out and closed the door I'd for some reason pull the handle to "make sure" it actually locked. The thing is, it would turn on the dome light. One night I forgot to turn the light off so in the morning the battery was dead. After this, not only would I pull on the handle to make sure the door was locked, I'd freaking wait the 20 seconds for the light to turn off even though I knew it would.

I now definitely think I have some sort of weird minor OCD, hah.

I guess the only thing I do out of the norm is I'm left handed for everything except swinging a bat and shooting with a hockey stick. I wash apples too but I think most people do, I use the 3 second rule for stuff that falls on the floor.

My wife says I'm weird because I am a southpaw....

Anyway, I'm like Meathead in that I put on one sock and then cover it with the appropriate shoe and then do the other foot the same way as opposed to putting on both socks first.

Figure I'm set better that way in case of flooding, or something.

I don't know.

When I have something coming up the next day and I'm thinking about it, I sometimes imagine different scenarios. Sometimes I think of the most unfortunate outcome, but then comfort myself by thinking, "well you know that's not going to happen, because you thought of it happening beforehand." Terrible logic, I know, yet it somehow makes me feel better.

My mother is a world class worrier. I'm sure most mothers worry, but my mom specifically believes that her worrying about something (like whether we'll get to the family Christmas safely) reduces the chance of something going awry - kind of like the worrying is a talisman. Unfortunately, since I spent my childhood exposed to that flawed logic, I sometimes find myself doing the same thing.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

The first thing I thought --

"Encourage my mother to embrace technology"

Every year I buy my parents some sort of gift (MP3 player, computer, digital frame, etc.) that will result in me providing 400 hours of phone support over the next calender year.

I cannot watch people brush their teeth. I find it disgusting. About 10 years ago my wife asked me why I can't watch her brush her teeth - but I could watch myself in the mirror. I haven't watched myself brush my teeth for 10 years now.

Ditto.

Mine are minor OCD things:

1) I will search the entire cabinent looking for the cleanest, newest glass to use. I know I'll end up back there drinking out of one I passed over, but I have to have the newest one.

2) I'll use a tape measure to re-align furniture. The gap between the coffee table and the couch has to be equal on both ends.

I'm sure there is more.

I refuse to get direct deposit because I like having a check that I can go to the bank with.

The sound of other people chewing/swallowing makes my stomach turn - even when its not crazy-sloppy. Two years ago there was an Aquafina radio commercial that was basically a guy cracking open a bottle and guzzling. That radio ad almost made me ill a couple of times. Had to quickly change the station.

Community Moderator

I'm another one of those left/right handed people

Right-handed: writing, bowling, golf, tennis, batting

Left-handed: overhand throwing, eating, guitar

I used to have a fear of people reading my mind, so when I was in a large group of people, I would only think nice thoughts just in case one of them was listening...

boy there are a lot of odd-balled lefty-righty people like me out there! I thought I was one of the few! Guess not!

RH--batting, golfing, hockey, kicking (techinically, that'd be right-footed), cutting with scissors, mousing (computer), carrying stuff (strangely, I favor my right arm when carrying stuff, even though my left is clearly stronger)

LH--writing, throwing, bowling, telephoning, tennis, raquetball, driving, eating with utensils, stirring stuff

I'm sure there are more.

I close my eyes and hold my breath when I rinse/wash my face/hair in the shower, as if I'm going to drown or something if I don't. I'm strange.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

After I got out and closed the door I'd for some reason pull the handle to "make sure" it actually locked.

I do this all the time. I also pull the rear drivers' side door handle as well, and as I'm typing this I'm realizing there's really no logical explanation to that whatsoever.

Once the corn is off the cob it is a pain to eat. Not as fresh either.

I count steps. I think it stems from when I was younger. My bedroom was in the basement and there was no light switch at the bottom of the steps so I either counted them or fell on my face at the bottom.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I'm pretty superstitious, so I guess by default I do goofy things that don't make sense. For example, I never talk about a dream I had the night before before noon. I have also been known to drive in reverse (for just a second) when a black cat has passed me. At wakes, I also touch the body after saying a prayer. I have never, and will never, carry a mirror with me. I would never open an umbrella in a house or walk under a ladder. I always make sure I'm wearing shoes and standing when the clock hits midnight on New Years. Never pull out a white hair, because three more will grow in it's place. I never put new shoes on a table or chair/couch. However, I have no problem mentioning a no-hitter, but I try not to out of respect, unlike some jerk annoucers.

logan helped me remember another one.

sometimes when I'm out walking/running around, I will suddenly start counting cracks in the sidewalk and/or how many steps I can take on each square slab of concrete on a sidewalk/parking lot. It's like a mini-contest for myself. Why? No idea.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

Logan reminded me of one, too:

When walking a few blocks, or sometimes even a short distance, I'll predict how many steps it will take me to get to the corner or some other set point. Sometimes I'll even predict how many steps it'll take someone else to reach a point.

I guess there is a reason for that, to relieve boredom. Maybe I should get an iPod.

sometimes when I'm out walking/running around, I will suddenly start counting cracks in the sidewalk and/or how many steps I can take on each square slab of concrete on a sidewalk/parking lot. It's like a mini-contest for myself. Why? No idea.

I totally do this too.

I remember from driving school that you are supposed to use your turn signal 90 ft before you actually turn. So when I'm driving, I try to estimate it by thinking of how far it is from home plate to 1st base and using that as a guide.

I really need baseball season to start again.

The sound of other people chewing/swallowing makes my stomach turn - even when its not crazy-sloppy. Two years ago there was an Aquafina radio commercial that was basically a guy cracking open a bottle and guzzling. That radio ad almost made me ill a couple of times. Had to quickly change the station.

I have the same issue with eating noises (Pringles commercials!). It doesn't make me ill, I usually just want to slug the person making the noise...,

In the house I grew up in, the shower would take about 1-2 minutes before the water got warm. Now in college, the water turns hot right away, but I always still wait a couple of minutes before I get in. I know its a waste of water, but I get real uneasy if I just step in right away.

Everything action I take is done for a very specific reason. In my mind at least.

I could write a book about my eating habits.

When eating chips, Doritos for example, I have to inspect both sides of the chip to see which has more flavoring on it.

I can't have a hot food item touching a cold food item. Example: A hot veggie burger cant have lettuce on it unless the lettuce is warmed to at least room tempurature.

I love the flavor of Bannanas but can't eat due to the texture, I have major issues about textures.

Corn is great corn on the cob is unedible, do to the amount of work it takes to eat an ear. Same with oranges, to much work.

I also have absurdly detailed rules and regulations for aquaintences.

I will not ask a girl out until I go through a list of questions that I have given point values. Political beliefs, religious beliefs, it's absudly detailed. It's 22 questions and 100 points. The highest score I have had someone get was 67. Yup, I don't date much.

I have a 3 tiered system for coworkers and mild friends, when they do things I don't like I move them up the punishment system, when they do things to redeem themselves they get brought down. It's kind of a foolish system, yet effective, because only I know all the rules.

I probably could go on for hours about the wierd things I do, but then I think you guys might send my to a Psychiatric facility.

(Oh, and I am right handed, but left footed. If that even is such a thing.)

(Oh, and I am right handed, but left footed. If that even is such a thing.)

I too am right handed but left footed. I can go a little further on that too. Right handed, left footed, bat left handed but I'm a very good switch hitter. I golf right handed, but putt lefty at mini golf....weird

I will not ask a girl out until I go through a list of questions that I have given point values. Political beliefs, religious beliefs, it's absudly detailed. It's 22 questions and 100 points. The highest score I have had someone get was 67. Yup, I don't date much.

I have a 3 tiered system for coworkers and mild friends, when they do things I don't like I move them up the punishment system, when they do things to redeem themselves they get brought down. It's kind of a foolish system, yet effective, because only I know all the rules.

I think we have a winner. Just kidding http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif I kind of do a similar thing with sports fans. I don't like "assign" point, but if I meet someone, say a Cubs fan, I'll just assume I don't like them til proven otherwise. Same can be said for Patriots, Vikings, Miami college football, etc.

"I can't have a hot food item touching a cold food item. Example: A hot veggie burger cant have lettuce on it unless the lettuce is warmed to at least room tempurature."

That's not really that weird. Lettuce is gross to me on hot sandwiches, but if it's a cold ham and cheese or something then I'll like it.

Archived