Brewer Fanatic

OPS+ and ERA+

JET15
What sites besides Baseball-Reference publish the OPS+ and ERA+ stats? More specifically, does anyone know of one that does split (L/R) OPS+ and ERA+ stats? Thanks in advance, folks
Brew Crew: Don't Let Me Down

Russ: sorry it took so long to reply to your question... the kids and I play a baseball dice game and we rate the players to see how many dice they can throw. I was using OPS+ and ERA+ and I thought it would add just one more level of strategy to use the split stats.

Thanks for asking. I can't find them anywhere.

Brew Crew: Don't Let Me Down

Russ: sorry it took so long to reply to your question... the kids and I play a baseball dice game and we rate the players to see how many dice they can throw. I was using OPS+ and ERA+ and I thought it would add just one more level of strategy to use the split stats.

Thanks for asking. I can't find them anywhere.

What game do you play? Is it your own creation?

• 6 months later...

+ means relative to league average. So a 100 OPS+ would be exactly average, and a 110 would be 10% better OPS+, ect. Its useful for comparing stats from different seasons and eras.

To calculate it though, you have to do OBP+ and SLG+ seperately and add them.

OBP / lg avg OBP + SLG / lg avg SLG = OPS+

Also in BBref, you can go into a player's splits page and find their sOPS+, which factors in the split. For example, Prince Fielder sOPS+ finds against lefties finds what the league-average does against like-handed pitchers and then distributes like OPS+. So Prince's sOPS+ against lefties is 114, even though his OPS is .736- he's above league average in that situation.

DFA Ruth!

OPS+/ERA+ is a crude stat in many ways, but imho it's the best way to quickly 'compare' players. Of course there's more accuracy in using it to look at careers'/5+ seasons' worth of data, but even just for one season it gives a decent idea of production relative to a player's peers.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

• 1 month later...
On the downside though the defensive statistics I have seen have shown significant slippage for Cameron. Which doesn't mean get rid of him as he was good enough to be worse than he used to be and still a large upgrade over the last few years.

• 4 weeks later...
Just keep in mind both of these stats are horribly flawed for what they are used for. They dont' take RH vs LH into account, they used some pretty flawed park factors and they used flawed yearly factors to come up with their value. I'd be very careful using either stats as anything other than purely superficial comparisons. If you want to do serious statistical work I'd throw them both out the window.

Archived