Brewer Fanatic

Josh Hamilton to TEX, Edinson Volquez and Daniel Herrera to CIN

molitor fan

I think this was a good move for the Reds. Yes they got something unproven for something more established but along with Hamilton's very impressive numbers comes a history of injury. The past drug use seems to be behind him but he still seems to be injury prone.

He missed two weeks in May with gastroenteritis (an inflammation of the intestines), another month with a sprained wrist and the final three weeks of the season with a sore hamstring. He missed two weeks in May with gastroenteritis (an inflammation of the intestines), another month with a sprained wrist and the final three weeks of the season with a sore hamstring
This was last season. Nothing major but it certainly would raise some flags with me taken along with his entire injury history. So there may be less uncertainty with his abilities but more with health issues. In return the Reds get a young pitcher which they desparatly needed. This makes the CoCo signing more feasable to me. At least they are taking steps to get to the 9th with a lead.
There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

I think this was a good move for the Reds.

I agree -- they traded some surplus for something they really needed -- Even though Volquez is not super sexy, he is virtually guaranteed to be an upgrade over the Kirk Saarloos's that the Reds had been running out last year.

Yes they got something unproven for something more established but along with Hamilton's very impressive numbers comes a history of injury.

Well -- Hamilton has only 300 ABs at the ML level. The main reason Hamilton made the Reds roster was that he was a Rule V selection.

This makes the CoCo signing more feasable to me. At least they are taking steps to get to the 9th with a lead.

Exactly -- Plus, if the Reds flip Bailey for Bedard or guys like Cueto and/or Maloney can contribute, the Reds are really not in that bad of shape, for 2008.

Well -- Hamilton has only 300 ABs at the ML level. The main reason Hamilton made the Reds roster was that he was a Rule V selection.

True but I meant relative to what they traded.

To use Robert's method, the Rangers got both the best player as well as the player with the highest ceiling. I know there's some injury risk, but it's tough for me to see this as anything but a loss for the Reds.

It's only a loss if you traded something you couldn't replace. They'll be able to fill the hole left by Hamilton easier than they could the hole they had in their rotation. It seems a bit high but young starting pitching cost a lot. For the Reds the cost was worth it to fix a major problem that could have derailed their season far more than the loss of a little offense will.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

I just think it's never a bad idea to stockpile young pitchers, especially against outfielders who are the easiest players to develop. Bruce is better than Hamilton I'm guessing, more rounded, less risky, more ceiling.

I'm not sure about Bruce. Sure, he's younger, so has more time to develop - but his K rate has been really high without a high HR total. I don't think his high double total will translate without some real power (read: not just 2Bs) showing in the next couple years - and I don't know if he'll be ready for MLB by 2009, which will be when they're without Dunn. So, sure, you could sign a FA to an expensive contract to play OF - or you could spend the money where it's more worthwhile (pitching), and have kept Hamilton & Bruce. The SP free-agent class next year is much better than this year's.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

The SP free-agent class next year is much better than this year's.

I think the Reds are moving on 2008, with the perceived weakness of the NL Central, and having only one more year of Dunn & Griffey

I'm not sure about Bruce.

Well don't forget they have Ryan Freel & Norris Hopper.

I suspect that even if losing Hamilton is a downgrade - It's a pretty good risk to hope that Volquez will be an overall larger improvement over guys like Kirk Saarloos (7.17 ERA) Phil Dumatrait (6 GS 18 IP) that the Reds ran out there last year. If Volquez can put up a 4.5 ERA this is a great deal for the Reds.

I think that Hamilton is a lot like TGJ -- insofar as people may value his feelgood story (or other intangibles like his last name in the case of TGJ) more than his actual skill level. I think Hamilton is a better player but I think that there are parallels with their perceived talent level.

I'm not sure about Bruce

The kid went from A+ to AAA in one year, I'd only be worried about his strikeout total if he was repeating AA for the 2nd year. Bruce is as blue-chip as they come, and I don't think I'm going out on a limb here by saying he has a very bright future ahead of him.

and I don't know if he'll be ready for MLB by 2009

I would be very surprised not to see him in the Reds outfield opening day this year. Krivisky says he's not sure if he'll let him start in the majors, but he sounds as convincing as Doug Melvin who said he was 90% sure Overbay would be a Brewer in 2006. Now that being said, he will have his struggles, but he is a fairly polished ball player after only two years in the minors.

Archived