Brewer Fanatic

Crazy Thought - Why don't relief pitchers start games?

twobrewers

Hear me out on this...

Suppose the Brewers were to sign Kenny Lofton. Lofton has a very poor split against LHP. Therefore, he would likely only play against RHP starters. So the Brewers travel to Chicago to take on the Cubs and Vambrano is pitching. Knowing this, Ned inserts Lofton into his starting line-up, batting second.

Only when the Cubs take the mound, it is Scott Eyre instead of Vambrano. Eyre take on Weeks and then Lofton in the 2-hole. Lofton, presumably becomes an easy out as he can't hit LHP. As soon as Eyre gets Lofton out, Vambrano comes into the game for his "start".

As far as I can tell, there are several advantages...

1. The manager is able to "play the match-up" at the top of the order to his benefit.

2. The opposing manager can't pinch-hit in the first inning and lose a bench player for the game. (And if they do, they waste the bench)

3. A relief pitcher, who is match-up properly, should have a better chance of throwing a scoreless inning.

4. When the actual starting pitcher takes the mound, he will be able to loosen up against the weak part of the order.

5. In the possibility a road team "bats around", they could pinch hit for their relief pitcher and just use their actual planned starter to open the game.

Who said you had to have a starter go five innings before turning to your bench? Why not start with your bench and have your starter throw his 100+ pitches starting in the second inning?

Am I completely crazy here?

Bud Selig would not be impressed with Lou announcing Zambrano, then pitching Eyre. It's one less pitcher to use later, when it would be better to get Loften out with 2 on in the 7th than nobody on in the first.

Also Weeks would take Eyre out so they're losing 1-0 right away.

Bud Selig would not be impressed with Lou announcing Zambrano, then pitching Eyre.
Well, technically, I think he would have to announce Eyre. But, since it would be the 5th day in the rotation - everyone would know that Zambrano would be pitching the majority of the game.

And it doesn't have to eat up more bullpen innings. In theory, a bullpen innning to start the game or end the game makes no difference.

Bud Selig would not be impressed with Lou announcing Zambrano, then pitching Eyre.
Well, technically, I think he would have to announce Eyre. But, since it would be the 5th day in the rotation - everyone would know that Zambrano would be pitching the majority of the game.

And it doesn't have to eat up more bullpen innings. In theory, a bullpen innning to start the game or end the game makes no difference.

No, but in the latter, you have the knowledge that you have to use the bullpen. If a starter would have pitched a CG, you've taken that away and eaten up more innings.

It sort of makes sense when you just say it, but really it doesn't after any sort of thinking. On top of everything else that's been mentioned, there's no guarantee that if you have your bullpen guys pitch the first three innings that your starter will just close out the last six. You might still need to go to the bullpen later on anyways. It's just sort of silly.

On a related subject, I always wondered why there needs to be a firm starting rotation. Pitch the best guy for the situation that is ready to pitch. If your ace just went only two innings, pitch him after two days rest. Why are starters expected to go at least 5 innings? What if you had a guy that could be great if he shot for 4 innings a start? What if you had two guys that could be great going 3 innings every 3-4 days? Seems there is no biological reason for there to be a strict demarcation between starters and relievers.

but I can't see any changes ever being made to this, it's gospel to have a fixed starting rotation.

Community Moderator
I agree that starting rotations are usually pointless, but I think the main problem is that pitchers get into a routine and they plan their workouts/sleep schedules based on the day that they are pitching.

That, and the money. That's my #1 guess why. Similar to why managers save CP for save opportunities. If I could make a buncha cruncha casha, I'd be peeved at my manager for using me in a way that impeded that.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Because the next day when Prince comes up in the 7th and Eyre isn't available because he pitched the day before in a game the Brewers won 10-0.

That's why relievers don't start.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Hasn't this been done? When there is super threatening weather, Reliever pitches an inning then go into an extended delay only to start the SP when they restart?

Not to mention, I thought the Brewers were attempting to do this in the minors awhile back. Having relievers go the first 3 innings and bringing in the starter in the 4th because the Brewers wanted their starters to have to deal with the more "stressful" later innings. Did that happen or was my mind just making things up?

They piggybacked starter prospects as a way of limiting their innings.

I know the Brewers piggyback the starters down in the minors, I just thought they had attempted, or at least talked about, using relievers in the early innings as well.

Archived