Brewer Fanatic

MIL signs Gabe Kapler (1yr/$800K, non-guaranteed)

Jarjohm
But I suppose since it's not-garunteed we could cut him from the 40-man tomorrow.
It would cost the team pocket change: one sixth of his salary to cut him between now and the middle of spring training and one fourth of his salary to cut him between the middle of spring training and opening day.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I guess one problem I have is that Ned may actually use spring training as evidence of Kapler's real value. Say he gets off to a blazing start in spring training and the Brewers keep him. Then he falls back to where he was or (more likely) worse.....what then? Other than that I don't see the big deal.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I guess one problem I have is that Ned may actually use spring training as evidence of Kapler's real value. Say he gets off to a blazing start in spring training and the Brewers keep him. Then he falls back to where he was or (more likely) worse.....what then? Other than that I don't see the big deal.

It's not just Ned's decision, though. It's joint between him and Doug. If we're talking about a 5th outfielder situation, I could care less either way if he's carried or not carried, because it's a pretty minimal number of at-bats.

True but players who are taking illegal substances generally don't voluntarily test themselves or be vocal about their desire to have testing.

Ok, to clarify my point, HGH was not an illegal substance in 2004. Thus, no risk of a positive test.

I hope you aren't asserting that guys who've used PEDs aren't vocal about not using, as the list of guys who've vocally denied only to be exposed later on is relatively extensive.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Isn't what everyone is saying basically that we now have Brady Clark back except his name is Gabe Kapler?

Yeah, but cheaper.

The swimsuit calendar sales alone will exceed 800k.

Not really cheaper than what Brady will get this offseason if anything. Besides, Kapler is one average season away from getting that 2 year deal from Doug similar to Clark's last deal.

I hope you aren't asserting that guys who've used PEDs aren't vocal about not using, as the list of guys who've vocally denied only to be exposed later on is relatively extensive.

These are usually guys who have been accused in some way, and in some cases, in front of a grand jury. It sounds like Kapler was the one bringing the subject up, and the only other one who I can think of to go out of his way to claim he's clean is Frank Thomas.

Not really cheaper than what Brady will get this offseason if anything. Besides, Kapler is one average season away from getting that 2 year deal from Doug similar to Clark's last deal.

I think you're making an assumption based off fear. When Melvin extended Brady Clark, the Brewers were a different team... A team with absolutely no in-house CF options, and with lower expectations.

Hey, why not take a flier? See what he's got left, and who knows.. don't think this is a reason to get all bent outta shape..
Right, why not. He is costing us nothing, and he has been to the World Series before, maybe he can be a mentor to the players about the stretch run this year when we get there. If he doesn't make the team, well, nothing really hurt.

Signing Gabe kapler, to satisfy Doug's latest ex-Ranger fix? Meh.

Projecting Joe Dillon's or Gabe Kapler's performance in 2008, by taking minor league numbers? Check, please!

The one thing I got from this thread? I have a new statistical acronym to avoid. And just to be safe, if I ever cross paths with him, I'll ignore CHONE Figgins, too.

"So if this fruit's a Brewer's fan, his ass gotta be from Wisconsin...(or Chicago)."

2) There's at least a small chance Kapler pushes a vastly superior player off the team. I don't think that's an overstatement. I know people look at Dillon and see "30+ year old journeyman, 4A guy", but I look at Dillon and see 2 more seasons of starter-caliber hitting off the bench for the league minimum.

BTM, I agree with you 100% on Dillon. But right now Dillon is slated to be a backup infielder. He could play OF if needed, but right now he is the backup 3B, 2B, and 1B. So I don't think the Kapler signing is going to impact Dillon at all.

The one thing I got from this thread? I have a new statistical acronym to avoid. And just to be safe, if I ever cross paths with him, I'll ignore CHONE Figgins, too.

CHONE projections have been around for a few years - there's really only marginal differences in accuracy between PECOTA, ZiPs, and CHONE. None of them beat Marcel the Monkey by too terribly much, and Marcel projections are just a straightforward 3-2-1 weighting of the previous 3 years stats, regressed to the mean. Projecting future hitting performance just isn't that hard if there's a lot of good data. Here's a bunch of comparative stats on some of the more widely-used projection systems for last year:

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/unfiltered/?p=564

Now, if you're saying you ignore all these systems, that's one thing. Fine by me, to each his own. But I don't think there's a good reason to pay attention to PECOTA or ZiPs while ignoring CHONE.

Signing Gabe kapler, to satisfy Doug's latest ex-Ranger fix? Meh.

Can't turn out any worse than Lanyce Michael Nix unless he actually makes the team and gets the $800,000. Isn't Don Zimmer available for the clubhouse clown and overall team mascot? He'd cost less than Kapler.

Again, this could end up Yosting us as another (s)crappy vet gets substantial playing time that isn't earned. If Kapler is the end of the bench OF option he might not be too bad as a backup. Significant playing time will kill any value Kapler will have. Is that called getting Counselled?

Archived