Brewer Fanatic

MIL signs Gabe Kapler (1yr/$800K, non-guaranteed)

Jarjohm
  • Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is no universe in which this makes any sense whatsoever. Kapler's career does show pretty strong platoon splits, but he hasn't had an OPS+ above 85 since 2001. He shouldn't even be considered for a NRI to spring training, much less the last 40 man roster spot. 40 man issues have already cost us Aquino and Wise just this offseason, players with real (if small) chances to contribute something meaningful to a major league team in 2008. If he makes the team, Kapler is about a million to one shot to justify his roster spot with actual production.

If Melvin just HAD to have his Mench replacement this early in the offseason, there had to be at least a dozen 30+ year old minor league FAs guys who'll head to Japan or wind up taking yet another minor league contract who are better bets than Kapler to be something resembling useful. Sure, this is a minor, mostly insignificant move, but that doesn't make the thinking (?) behind it any less appalling.

In its own way, this stupid inconsequential signing makes me as angry as the Linebrink trade did.

What's wierdest to me is that he hits righty. I don't understand why they need a RH hitting backup corner OF right now, or why they consider Kapler to be the one they need. It may be that they're thinking of a Gross/Kapler platoon somewhere, or that Hall is going to be dealt and (shudder) Gwynn will be starting in CF?

But I will say this...those pictures of Kapler creep me out.

I'm speaking in anger right now, so I'm not sure I'll want anyone to hold me to this, but if Gabe Kapler makes the 25 man roster out of ST and Joe Dillon doesn't, I'm quits with this team. You'll have seen the last of me here. Matter of fact, I'll probably take 10 years or so off of baseball and hope that by the time I return, every team has a Beane/Epstein disciple as its GM. I can't take this kind of stuff anymore.

I'm speaking in anger right now, so I'm not sure I'll want anyone to hold me to this, but if Gabe Kapler makes the 25 man roster out of ST and Joe Dillon doesn't, I'm quits with this team. You'll have seen the last of me here. Matter of fact, I'll probably take 10 years or so off of baseball and hope that by the time I return, every team has a Beane/Epstein disciple as its GM. I can't take this kind of stuff anymore.

Really? After all the years of futility not keeping a 32 year old journeyman with 76 good at bats and no above-average defensive position is what is going to put you over the edge?

And by "this stuff" I mean stupid, irrational, nepotistic old boys' network favoritism. Melvin didn't even bother to try to code his speech enough to hide it:

"Gabe brings versatility and athleticism to the outfield position," said Brewers general manager Doug Melvin. "He has always been a great teammate and possesses the determination to bounce back and become a valuable player to our club."

http://netsports.baseball.com/default.asp?c=baseball&page=mlb/news/AAN4118295.htm

Blah blah blah he played for me in Texas he's a good guy blah blah blah.

Just insipid.

Well Kapler had an OPS+ of over 100 against lefties every year from 2002 to 2006 so not sure I agree that he is useless. Still seems like a really odd move especially if it is a major league contract and not a minor league invite.

I'm speaking in anger right now, so I'm not sure I'll want anyone to hold me to this, but if Gabe Kapler makes the 25 man roster out of ST and Joe Dillon doesn't, I'm quits with this team.
Not that I'm crazy about Gabe Kapler or anything, but that is a very weird thing to put you over the edge. Dillon had a nice handful of PAs. It's not like he's replacing Corey Hart or something.

As a Brewers fan in Boston I can tell everyone a few things about Gabe Kapler:

1) His teammates absolutely love the guy. I think Curt Schilling would take a bullet for him to this day

2) To those who think Kapler is a steroid guy (the full article is from 2004 and can be found here: http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/articles/2004/03/04/taking_a_swing_at_strategy/?page=full

Though it took place almost four years ago, an HBO "Real Sports" look at steroids in baseball gave a strong glimpse of what was to come. Orza was asked, "So what would it take to get the players union to agree on testing?"

"If [the players] were to determine that indeed an unlevel playing field was being created by the use of illegal substances, players might very well say, `This is an exception to our principle opposition to the question of testing,' " he answered.

The players did agree to testing, but already it is seen as a farce.

On the same program, Red Sox utility outfielder Gabe Kapler, then with the Texas Rangers, was upset that people thought he was a user because of his sculpted body.

"I see the looks on people's faces when I say I'm a hundred percent natural," said Kapler then. "I can just see the look in their eyes, looking right through me, saying, `OK,' but I know they think I'm lying and that hurts me. The guys who are using steroids are completely open. Open with it to other players, and I think the reason for that is they don't mind anybody knowing because it is so spread out now. There's a lot of people doing it."

Kapler actually submitted a urine sample so he could be tested for steroids, and it came back negative.

Edit: Activated link

Really? After all the years of futility not keeping a 32 year old journeyman with 76 good at bats and no above-average defensive position is what is going to put you over the edge?

I don't care about the 76 ABs. It wouldn't matter to me if they'd been wretched instead of outstanding. He's put up year after year of 1.000 OPS at AAA. He's stuck around and paid his dues and earned his shot. There's precious little justice in the world, but when someone like Dillon comes up and is lucky enough to actually hit well in the tiny sample of ABs he's afforded (in a pennant race no less) so that even the most block-headed of Base-Ball Men has to figure him into next year's plan, that seems like justice to me.

If Melvin has dug up the putrid corpse of Gabe Kapler to deny him that, it is, for me, the last straw.

I don't care about the 76 ABs. It wouldn't matter to me if they'd been wretched instead of outstanding. He's put up year after year of 1.000 OPS at AAA. He's stuck around and paid his dues and earned his shot. There's precious little justice in the world, but when someone like Dillon comes up and is lucky enough to actually hit well in the tiny sample of ABs he's afforded (in a pennant race no less) so that even the most block-headed of Base-Ball Men has to figure him into next year's plan, that seems like justice to me.

If Melvin has dug up the putrid corpse of Gabe Kapler to deny him that, it is, for me, the last straw.

So, you would quit being a Brewer's fan because Gabe Kapler played better than Dillon in spring training and would be considered the better fit for the team just because Dillon has paid his dues? That's the talk of teams that aren't in playoff races. We should be trying to get the best team, regardless of who came up with the team. If Dillon does better, cut Kapler, if Kapler does better, cut Dillon. MY GUESS, is that both will be on the bench because there is a lot of offseason left and we still need a 3B, but saying you will lose it cause the team is trying to be the best they can is a little ridiculous.

I just see this as Melvin taking a flier on a guy he liked while he was with Texas. Melvin has had some success with taking fliers on players in the past. He's probably going to need to play a few games in the minors just to get his timing back anyway.

Melvin also signed Randy Choate and put him on the 40 man roster, doesn't mean he's going to make the team or they plan on him being a major part of the team next year. Although it probably means that the Brewers aren't close to signing Kenny Lofton though. It's obvious they didn't sign Kapler with the intent of starting him and moving Bill Hall to 3rd base.

Right now there's really no reason to get too worked up about the signing. They bring him in and if he shows something, then they will keep him around. If not, then they'll either let him go or send him to the minors.

It's a slow day in Brewerfan world when Gabe Kapler can generate 4 pages of posts.

Surprised sure. But it's a filler move more than anything else. What it really says is that the braintrust either don't see Gwynn Jr as a major leaguer or else they see him as a major leaguer in a different locale.

About the only thing I view as dumber than the standard privileging of dinky regular season MLB statistical samples over years and years of minor league data is the standard privileging of dinky spring training statistical samples over years and years of minor league data.

My point is, if this kind of stuff represents how Melvin is going to try to put the best team possible on the field in our narrow contention cycle, why bother following the team? I've waited 20+ years for decisions like this to matter - if they're going to be made for the reasons many of us seem to think this signing happened, what possible satisfaction can an intelligent fan derive from caring about this team?

He's had, what, one decent year since 2000? He broke the .800 OPS barrier in 2002 in Colorado! Yes!!

Just Melvin being Melvin, I guess. Kapler has no worth beyond, "veteran leadership from a guy who's been there before." I sure hope he doesn't make the team, even as a backup.

It's a slow day in Brewerfan world when Gabe Kapler can generate 4 pages of posts.

Well In all fairness the Lita Ford discussion got cut short....

What it really says is that the braintrust either don't see Gwynn Jr as a major leaguer or else they see him as a major leaguer in a different locale.

Why would you need to sign Gabe Kapler to make this statement.

if Gabe Kapler makes the 25 man roster out of ST and Joe Dillon doesn't, I'm quits with this team. You'll have seen the last of me here. Matter of fact, I'll probably take 10 years or so off of baseball and hope that by the time I return, every team has a Beane/Epstein disciple as its GM.

I generally embrace over-reaction to minor roster moves, but this may not be a good hill to die on. It certainly is a head-scratcher though.

This signing seems like a complete waste of time to me. Does anyone believe we actually break camp with Kapler on the 25 man? I don't see it happening. So the whole idea of this signing being a precursor to a Gwynn deal makes no sense to me.

Archived