Brewer Fanatic

MIL signs Gabe Kapler (1yr/$800K, non-guaranteed)

Jarjohm
  • Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To a major league contract? Are you kidding?

I could see adding a RH bench OF. But there were better guys out there. Ever heard of Shannon Stewart Doug? Or Emil Brown? Or how about trading for Marcus Thames who the Tigers are wanting to deal.

But Gabe Kapler?

Yeah, while I'm excited at the prospect of this being the harbinger of a shiny new 3rd baseman,

I don't think so -- Kapler didn't play last year, or much in 2005 or 1004. -- I can't imagine that DM would sign someone like Kapler and expect him to be a suitable replacement for the Brewers -- I see this more as a ST invite sort of move, perhaps DM wanting to give one of his old Texas guys a chance.

It doesn't make sense that Kapler was the reason a trade was made, or the replacement for a guy like Gwynn/Gross or someone that got traded.

I guess I don't understand why people are so down about this. We are bringing in another guy to the team with something to prove. Its a one year deal, at worst, he doesn't make the team in spring training, and we lose the small amount of money we signed him for. Competition is a good thing, and anything that get TGJ one step closer to no longer being on the major league roster is a good thing in my book.

I just hope this means we have another trade coming.

I can't envision the scenario where DM is now able to pull the trigger because Gabe Kapler is in the fold.

But he could know a trade is coming and creating a problem in OF. If say we knew Gwynn is going it would make some sense to get some OF depth since Kapler is capable of playing CF.

Seems strange to me that the guy would come out of retirement and what must be an alright gig managing in the minors just to see if he sticks in ST...then again, Kapler always struck me as someone with an ego who'd hold out til the bitter end.

Seems to me he might have taken a year off to get free of the steroids/HGH/whatever.

I really can't believe it's a major league deal. We obviously had an open spot on the 40 man but, wow. One has to believe that Gwynn/Gross/Dillon would have to be included in any trade coming up. If so, why not wait and fill that spot with someone that at least played last year.

i am not going to lie to you, i wish i looked like that(or Conorhttp://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif), if you dont, your lying. That being said, he might be proof that muscles don't make the player.

J, if you looked like that, or me, I would've played you at CF just so we'd have gotten to watch you run around. That said, your dreaminess quotient is still very high. Plus, that whole 'splits' thing. Yowza!

Seems to me he might have taken a year off to get free of the steroids/HGH/whatever.

Yea, that, or maybe he thought he couldn't play anymore without them, 'retired,' re-supplied himself, and he'll be ready to go - via HGH - in 2008!

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Archived