Brewer Fanatic

MIL signs Gabe Kapler (1yr/$800K, non-guaranteed)

Jarjohm

From JSOnline blog:

Brewers sign Kapler

By Tom Haudricourt
Thursday, Dec 20 2007, 02:41 PM

Brewers general manager Doug Melvin has been saying all winter that the free-agent market for corner outfielders is bleak.

That must be true because Melvin brought one out of retirement today.

The Brewers announced they have signed Gabe Kapler, 32, an eight-year veteran who managed in Boston's farm system in 2007 after announcing his retirement as an active player.

Kapler, a right-handed hitter, has played in 850 major-league games with Detroit, Texas, Colorado and Boston, batting .270 with 64 home runs and 302 RBI, with a .331 on-base percentage and .418 slugging percentage. He played in 72 games with the Red Sox in 2006, batting .254 with two home runs and 12 RBI.

Less than a month after Boston won the 2004 World Series, Kapler signed with the Yomiuri Giants of the Japanese Central League. He struggled there and was placed on waivers in July, allowing him to rejoin the Red Sox midway through the '05 season.

Kapler ruptured his right Achilles tendon late in September of that season - oddly enough, running the bases on what turned out to be a home run by Tony Graffanino, who played in 2006-'07 for the Brewers before suffering a knee injury. That injury sidelined Kapler until June 2006.

Last season, Kapler managed Boston's Class A Greenville (S.C.) team to a 58-81 record, 14th in the 16-team South Atlantic League.

After that managerial stint, Kapler announced his intention to play again in 2008. "I miss the battle," he said. "The experience reawakened the competitor in me. I still need to be on the field as a player."

Known as a superb defensive player (no errors in 2005-'06), Kapler was used primarily as a platoon player in right field with Trot Nixon while playing for Boston, facing left-handed pitchers.

Melvin, who had looked into acquiring Kapler in the past, has been in the market for a left fielder this winter. But I'm guessing Kapler merely will be thrown into the mix of others in the outfield picture, including Gabe Gross, Tony Gwynn Jr. and Joe Dillon.

Corey Hart is expected to start in right field, with Bill Hall in center.

"Gabe brings versatility and athleticism to the outfield position," said Melvin. "He has always been a great teammate and possesses the determination to bounce back and become a valuable player to our club."

Perhaps acquiring Kapler would allow Melvin to throw one of those other outfielders into a trade. As soon as I find out what's on his mind, I'll write another blog.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
someone may want TGJ. I'm fine with this, he and Gross would make one heck of a platoon.

If two Gabe's are platooning, is it really a platoon?

you beat me to it Brian, they are mirror images of each other. This falls under the throw it against the wall and see what sticks. This would be the same as them signing Chote to a minor league contract. If he works out great, if he doesnt oh well nothing hurt.

I don't think there's any doubt that Blalock will be a Brewer. Texas has always wanted Gwynn.

2008 Outfield- Braun, Hall, Hart with Gross and Kapler backing up. Not bad.

2008 Infield- Blalock, Hardy, Weeks, Fielder, with Dillon and Counsell backing up. Again, Not Bad.

A Lofton addition puts Kapler or Gross on another team or in AAA.

http://www.iballer.com/malecelebs/kapler/images/k12_jpg.jpg

You mean a pic like this. This is the lesser of the homoerotic pics.

If i remember he was voted most fit MLB player a couple times or something like that. He preached all natural if some of you are wondering.

See, at least in that photo he looks like he's about to do some serious rear end kicking.

In this one he looks like he just spotted you in the stands and wants your number...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v454/ilookback/kapler.jpg

20Fry : April 2006 - March 2012

All-natural... Suuuuuuure.

At first I got him confused for Rex Hudler (always did, for some crappy reason), who's been retired for even longer. Glad we didn't sign Wonder Dog. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Gabe Kapler. I just keep thinking of those silly "I'm naked but I'm holding my baseball bat" photos he did.

If I ever needed an excuse not to do a google image search, that was it.

IIRC, he also did some TV spots for K-Swiss sneakers. I am not sure that did much for his street cred.

Archived