Brewer Fanatic

Kenny Lofton

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I saw it on mlbtraderumors too, and nearly did a spit take when I saw Hart listed as the platoon-mate.

It's possible we might be interested in him, but what are we going to get from Cleveland when they trade for him in July?

Agreed - I was a bit skeptical on the initial interest in Lofton...and then when I saw the "Bill Hall to 3rd, Ryan Braun to LF", I knew it was nothing to take seriously.

I appreciate the attempt from ESPN to engage the Brewer faithful on this boring Thursday, but they're going to have to come stronger than that! http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

I don't know if the Brewers even envision Lofton as a starter. For all we know they may just like him better than Gwynn.

Crasnick should get his head examined to suggest Hart as his platoon mate though. That's just flat out awful analysis.

Robert

Reading that again, it doesn't seem Crasnick talked of a Hart platoon, I think it was a reader at MLB trade rumors that suggested it, along with the author. Doesn't really matter, I guess. I wouldn't mind the move but I think it would either be as a bench player or a last resort if they can't find a 3rd baseman.

They weren't suggesting a Hart platoon guys. Hart would still play everyday, just shift to CF against lefties with Dillon most likely taking over in RF against lefties since Lofton can't hit lefties. Hart would still play RF against righties.

Personally, if we keep Hall in the outfield, it should be in center. Defensively, Lofton would be a plus defender. I also don't want Hall to switch to a new position (again).

Lofton/Dillon in LF, Hall in CF, and Hart in RF. No reason to play musical chairs. It will not help our defense.

We do need another left handed bat in our lineup. If Blalock were picked up, an outfield of Braun, Hall/Lofton, Hart could really sure up our defense.

Weeks

Hall/Lofton

Braun

Fielder

Hart

Blalock

Hardy

Kendall

That could be very dangerous.

Not to pick nits, but Hall is pretty much the opposite of a #2 hitter.

Certainly Lofton would be a solid pickup, however he is used.

See, I think against LHP, he could be very dangerous as a #2 hitter. Just don't hit him there versus RHP.

Lofton was part of my initial '08 projection when I posted my "Play DM the GM" thread a while back. Considering the type of bat the Brewers are looking to add to the lineup, he's the perfect fit IMO, at least a better option than most of the names that have been tossed out there.

As noted, Haudricourt thinks Lofton is a fallback option, hinting that the Brewers have a few other things in the works. Here are his comments from the blog linked above:

ESPN.com is reporting that the Brewers are showing interest in free agent centerfielder Kenny Lofton, 40, but I think they have other things going and that Lofton is a fall-back position.

The ESPN.com report said Lofton is on the Brewers' radar should they decide to move Bill Hall back to third base and shift Ryan Braun to left field. But general manager Doug Melvin and manager Ned Yost have repeatedly said they prefer to leave Hall in center, and at age 40, Lofton couldn't be an everyday centerfielder anyway.

This is not to say the Brewers have shown no interest in Lofton. They've also thought about veteran leftfielder Luis Gonzalez, but they are looking to upgrade defensively and he is a liability in the field.

I think they'll look to do something else before falling back to Lofton. I'll be looking into it and hope to post another blog later today.

Considering how quiet things have been over the last week +, I'm looking forward to what Haudricourt has to say if he's able to follow up later today or even tomorrow.

I thought I'd point this out because it wasn't previouslly mentioned. Lofton played 53 games in left field last year and 83 games in center.

You can just plug in Lofton as the leftfielder and forget all this crap about platooning people and moving hall and stuff.

jus t sign lofton as the everyday leftfielder. i'm sure he wouldn't complain. probel solved.

if you still want to acquire a thirdbaseman, move braun to left, and lofton becomes a great 4th outfielder who could play all three spots, and then get rid of Gwynn and gross for some AAA prospect to replace lofton next year.

ESPN.com is reporting that the Brewers are showing interest in free agent centerfielder Kenny Lofton, 40, but I think they have other things going and that Lofton is a fall-back position.

I think they'll look to do something else before falling back to Lofton. I'll be looking into it and hope to post another blog later today.

Considering how quiet things have been over the last week +, I'm looking forward to what Haudricourt has to say if he's able to follow up later today or even tomorrow.

I really hope Gabe Kapler wasn't what Tom was referring to and that something else is in the works. How would Lofton be a fallback option from Kapler???

They weren't suggesting a Hart platoon guys. Hart would still play everyday, just shift to CF against lefties with Dillon most likely taking over in RF against lefties since Lofton can't hit lefties. Hart would still play RF against righties.

Ned Yost's head just exploded.

jus t sign lofton as the everyday leftfielder. i'm sure he wouldn't complain. probel solved.

No - he can't hit LHP to save his life. Needs a platoon partner.

Now, that boldfaced part, that just got me excited.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Saw the following in the article about Kapler singing,

The team is still mulling free agents and trade options for left field, and remains willing to move National League Rookie of the Year Ryan Braun to left if the best fit is a third baseman. Melvin confirmed that club officials have talked about Kenny Lofton, who turns 41 in May, but said he had not spoken with Lofton's representation.

http://milwaukee.brewers.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20071220&content_id=2334901&vkey=news_mil&fext=.jsp&c_id=mil

Are you suggesting pulling Hall out of the lineup against lefties?

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Archived