Brewer Fanatic

Since it sounds like Braun will eventually move, is Mat Gamel our future at 3B?

BrewCrew4ever
He played 1B through college, and the perception around MLB when we drafted him is that the only reason we've asked him to play LF is so he can be a part of this current influx of talent as opposed to the wave to follow. We have absolutely acquired him to play LF for 2-3 years & then move to 1B. If you want a more 'established' version, look no further than Houston's Berkman. One reason you see guys play LF & 1B is that those are the two 'easiest' positions to play.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I think it makes perfect sense to get his bat in the bigs early in his career and then have him as a fallback option when Prince leaves. I don't have a single worry about him being able to convert (back to) to FIRST BASE...come on....Is it even possible that he'd be a step down from Prince defensively?

Possible, yes. Plausible, no. But to be fair to Prince, he has really been hurt by having 2/3 of his INF throwers be pretty terrible thus far. DM thinks quality defensive players will pick on him until he cries.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

True. I just can't imagine a world where anyone that is passable offensivley at first would be that big of a downgrade defensively from Prince. It's not like a few years in the outfield will make him forget how to play 1st base, if his bat proves worthy I think he's a no-brainer to replace Prince eventually.

He played 1B through college, and the perception around MLB when we drafted him is that the only reason we've asked him to play LF is so he can be a part of this current influx of talent as opposed to the wave to follow. We have absolutely acquired him to play LF for 2-3 years & then move to 1B. If you want a more 'established' version, look no further than Houston's Berkman. One reason you see guys play LF & 1B is that those are the two 'easiest' positions to play.

Berkman played all 3 OF spots before he hurt his knee and was an OFer in college.

Archived