Brewer Fanatic

Since it sounds like Braun will eventually move, is Mat Gamel our future at 3B?

BrewCrew4ever

This is a tough thread not sure if it would belong here...feel free to move it if neccessary.

I was looking at the Power 50 and Mat Gamel looks to be a high rated 3B but currently only at AA level. I would say he is still a year away at a minimum but could our 2009 Lineup include Braun, Gamel, and LaPorta?

Lets say in 2009 he is with the major league club...would anyone not like our lineup looking like this?

1B Fielder

2B Weeks

SS Hardy

3B Gamel

LF LaPorta

CF Gwynn

RF Braun

C Salome?

Then the real problem...and my reason for making this thread. What do we do for this year?

Leave Braun at 3rd and hope he grows a glove?

Edit - It's "Mat" with one t. -Toby

braun's one full season in the minors he made 31 errors. in mat gamel's two full minor league seasons he has made 34 and 53.

also, i would hope corey hart or billy hall would be in centerfield over tgj in that 2009 lineup you posted.

at this point, though, it looks like gamel's likelihood of sticking at the hot corner is pretty slim.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
How is Green's defense? They only have offensive numbers over at minorleaguebaseball.com
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

This was Taylor's first year playing third base at any level, and from what I've heard and read, he was fine. He'd been a second baseman up to late in spring training this season, so I'm guessing his arm strength isn't anything above average at third base. Can't be any worse than Braun overall.

I know! Let's just let JJ handle the entire left side of the infield, and play Braun at the rover position. By the time Gamel's ready to hit MLB, LaPorta will probably be at 1B, Braun in LF, and Gamel can just slide right in as the rover!
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

By the time Gamel's ready to hit MLB, LaPorta will probably be at 1B, Braun in LF, and Gamel can just slide right in as the rover!
You do realize that Gamel is younger than LaPorta? Batting-wise, they will likely be "ready" around the same time. LaPorta just has the advantage in that he is playing LF, while Gamel has plenty of kinks to work out on defense at 3B.

Supposedly, Gamel is worse than Braun as a 3B. Most of his problems comes from his footwork on his throws. I head he actually fields pretty decent. So their is hope he fixes it.

Gamel needs two years in the minors to prove he is a MLB 3B. (If he moves to a different position, you may see him sooner) Taylor Green is a step behind Gamel and is likely 3 years away.

That is why Rolen fit in so well. He would be able to hold down 3B while Gamel or Green became a finished product at 3B. I would hate to rush either of them or move them before they have had a chance to earn the 3B. (That is why Hall doesn't work so well either. If he moves, it has to be permanent. And he would block both Gamel and Green for years to come)

I do however, still drive the Gamel bandwagon. (Unless, of course, I see Joe Dillon's swerving off course)

That is why Rolen fit in so well. He would be able to hold down 3B while Gamel or Green became a finished product at 3B. I would hate to rush either of them or move them before they have had a chance to earn the 3B. (That is why Hall doesn't work so well either. If he moves, it has to be permanent. And he would block both Gamel and Green for years to come)

This is the exact thought that came to my head twobrewers, another reason that makes acquiring Rolen so appealing.

And as others have said, Gamel (like Braun) has plenty of people that believe he could become a decent enough third baseman defensively over time, and fortunately for Gamel the Brewers can afford to be patient with him, unless he keeps hitting and forces his way to the big-leagues much like Braun did (which isn't that crazy of a thought, as Gamel keeps getting better as he moves up). However, I think Gamel like Braun will eventually move to the outfield.

Gamel does reportedly have a cannon for an arm and enough foot-speed to handle the move to either LF or RF. I think Rolen would be a better bridge for Taylor Green, hoping that he too continues to progress.

I think Gamel's best role with the Brewers would be to continue mashing minor league pitching, then get traded near the July 31 trade deadline to improve the major league club. Every single prospect in the Brewers' system doesn't have to eventually play for them in the majors - especially when their current MLB roster is full of young players who are under Brewer control for 3-4 more seasons. There are very few position-player prospects in their system who aren't blocked by a young player already in Milwaukee - I'm not saying they should completely empty their minor league cupboard, but I think making some trades utilizing prospects nearing minor league free agent status would make a lot of sense.

The Brewers have about a three year window to build their minor league system back up with another wave of impact prospects that will be able to transition into Milwaukee once some of the current young Brewers start becoming difficult to afford.

defensively, Gamel's not a third baseman.

I know that an average defensive player who can mash is much more valuable than an average bat who is an elite defender, but just for selfish reasons I would love to see the Crew develop a guy or two who can flat pick it. I love good D and I know its not nearly as valuable as OBP as long as you are adequate but it has been a long time since the Crew had a truly stud defender at a critical position

but it has been a long time since the Crew had a truly stud defender at a critical position

I guess I would consider JJ Hardy a stud defender at SS... but maybe some would disagree about the "stud" part (I know the ladies wouldn't http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif )

You do realize that Gamel is younger than LaPorta? Batting-wise, they will likely be "ready" around the same time.

Yes, I do/did, which is why I had him hitting MLB later, fwiw. I didn't realize that LaPorta was only 6 mos. older, however. (and my post was entirely in jest)

zzzmanwitz wrote:

I guess I would consider JJ Hardy a stud defender at SS... but maybe some would disagree about the "stud" part (I know the ladies wouldn't http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif )

Don't get me wrong, I think JJ is a solid defender, but he rarely makes that special, unbelievable play, and that is more what I was talking about.

This is one of my biggest fears. Gamel as trade-bait. I hope the Crew keeps him. I think he'd look great in RF with Braun in left, LaPorta at 1b.

Boy talk about having no confidence in Prince sticking around as a long term player.

I wouldn't do it yet, but perhaps three years from now (not knowing what will happen in the next three years) I'd ask Prince and Scott if they thought Milwaukee was a valid long term option for Prince, and at what cost. If they said nevermind to Milwaukee or expressed an exorbitant contract demand, sure I'd listen to offers. If Prince continues on this pace, do you have any idea what we could get for him in three years? We might be able to trade him for Pujols+.

My hunch (and others') is that that's been the plan since drafting him, logan. LF for now/the time being, and then you have a successor at 1B when the horrible, crappy time comes that Prince leaves Milwaukee.

http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/frown.gif

My hunch (and others') is that that's been the plan since drafting him, logan. LF for now/the time being, and then you have a successor at 1B when the horrible, crappy time comes that Prince leaves Milwaukee.

http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/frown.gif

I agree. I just don't think they want to talk about it in public until Fielder is gone.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Archived